HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:14 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Here is a little video of Don and I flying my Rifle.

Terry really showed his expert camera skills on being able to follow this one! Tnx Bro!

http://vimeo.com/12633020
Great Video Jon!

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:48 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Good observation.. mine didnt snap untill i went up to a 2200 mah battery.. Isnt that ARC motor rated for 100 watts? What prop is used? The stock 24mm ammo puts out up to 350watts on 4.7" prop to go 120mph.. the rifle is bigger than the stinger fg in terms of wing area a empty weight.
Mike,

I've been running the 20mm ARC 110 with an APC 4.1x4.1 and around 250 watts. Your correct that the Rifle is larger than not only the Stinger but also the Micro Stinger. It would be nice to use a little more prop diameter and go to a 4.74 x 4.75 but again I don't want to recommend a power system to a friend that ultimately folds his airframe. He doesn't baby his models so I know he is going to fly this as its advertised...a pylon racer. I notice that the promotion videos for this airframe show fast passes but never show the airframe doing any maneuvers which pull G's like a tight loop or pylon turn. This is when the airframes are failing so I guess it makes sense why they are not included in the videos. Anyone doing pylon turns in a stock airframe and not have issues? If so whats your power system?
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:52 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Mike,

I've been running the 20mm ARC 110 with an APC 4.1x4.1 and around 250 watts. Your correct that the Rifle is larger than not only the Stinger but also the Micro Stinger. It would be nice to use a little more prop diameter and go to a 4.74 x 4.75 but again I don't want to recommend a power system to a friend that ultimately folds his airframe. He doesn't baby his models so I know he is going to fly this as its advertised...a pylon racer. I notice that the promotion videos for this airframe show fast passes but never show the airframe doing any maneuvers which pull G's like a tight loop or pylon turn. This is when the airframes are failing so I guess it makes sense why they are not included in the videos. Anyone doing pylon turns in a stock airframe and not have issues? If so whats your power system?
The reason the you don't see pylon turns on the video is because the guys flying in the electrifly video don't fly pylon racers. They flew it like a sport plane. Hence. they never had a wing fold.

So far, it looks like those who have been putting the two cf tubes in the wing along with changing out the plastic lip to cf, haven't had any problems.

I would suggest that as a mandatory mod unless you plan on laying off the throttle and taking wide turns.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:00 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I dont think its asking too much for ANY sport model to be able to take max elevator deflection... I do pylon turns with any of my sport or 3d planes without trouble. The electricfly rep mentioned testing max pullout full speed dives on the rifle.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:39 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
I dont think its asking too much for ANY sport model to be able to take max elevator deflection... I do pylon turns with any of my sport or 3d planes without trouble. The electricfly rep mentioned testing max pullout full speed dives on the rifle.
You have to wonder how many hard turns they pulled in testing.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:25 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
Well, my Rifle after the mods is still flying strong and holding up to my hard banking abuse. I am still flustered that I can not buy a freaking spinner for this thing without having to order one from Hobbycity. Where is the parts support GP???
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:03 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Well, my Rifle after the mods is still flying strong and holding up to my hard banking abuse. I am still flustered that I can not buy a freaking spinner for this thing without having to order one from Hobbycity. Where is the parts support GP???
Did you try soaringusa? Give Bob a call, tell him what you need.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:52 AM
Joined Dec 2008
21 Posts
well, I got in my first 4 flights on the Rifle. A 10 cc. i of adreniln injection laced with amthedimine I would imagine kind of sums it up. I would like to thank the Electrifly revelopement guy. To be able to get into a hotliner that performs for for $100 is a cool thing. The constructuion was quick. The most attention went to the control surface movement with special attention to the elevator linkage. It must be correrct or you are bound to go through a few servo replacements or worse.
I have never read instructions that warned you niot to fly with out a good nights sleep or if tired. This is a good tip. Unless you are aexperienced hotliner pilot you must be prepaired for a different animal.
This is a quick, very quick moving craft. It was fast ok. Quick as 90 degree angle turns were performed and the plane seemed to pick up speed, even launch out of an acute angle turn so strong that I would loss tracking for a second. I think it is a great craft for those that are ready to take that step. One other thing you will catch is the small high hum of this motor. Its very quiet.
I did maiden flights on Rifle and Pogo on the same day. The Rifle has taken first place in the bang for buck category and the thrill division.

Party big or stay sub triple
afo45td is offline Find More Posts by afo45td
Last edited by afo45td; Jun 19, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:27 AM
Joined Dec 2008
21 Posts
I know nothin of poor service or good service from Hobbico. It is a cool craft. Sounds like a few of you forgot to thighten down the servos on thier super cubs to me. Cheer up MIKI it will be a brighter day tommorrow, besides its after nine time for bed anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:34 AM
Joined Dec 2008
21 Posts
I would not think a wing folding on a plane in which the weight limit of the plane has been exceeded by 70 percent to be a failure of the wing.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:02 AM
Joined Dec 2008
21 Posts
I have purchased and flown your Rifle. It was what I was looking for. I posted beneath your imput later that night. I enjoyed the plane. I have not flown a hotliner prior to the Blazzer, considered a warmliner.
It seemd so quick . I fell behind in the quick turns for the first few. It was a hand full at 57 as the reaction time slows. I first saw hotliners fly down in Ga. at the SEFF flyin. I am sure your experience with Hliners could steer me in the best directiion for my next HL purchase.What would you recomend for a good second hot liner and poer system for it. Again thanks for the design. That Kid is a Kid.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:14 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Its a pylon racer not a hotliner. Hotliners are gliders
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:14 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Its a pylon racer not a hotliner. Hotliners are gliders

I would say it all depends on how you fly the plane. Since when did a 'Hotliner' have to be of a specific size? I fly my Simprop Turn Left in the style of a Hotliner even though it looks similar to (and is advertised as) a plylon racer. Ever seen the gliding performance of a full blown F5d model? It's every bit as good as a so-called Hotliner.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Well yeh you can fly a pylon racer like a hotliner, and hotliner like a pylon racer, but they are very different.
Pylon racers turn small fixed props fast making naff all thrust and lots of pitch speed, Throttle is jammed wide open for the whole flight
Hotliners turn very large highly pitched props for a few seconds of WOT, then glide.
Try launch a pylon racer vertically on a 4.1x4.1 prop. Or fly a pylon course with a hotliner and see how long the power system lasts being jammed at WOT for the whole flight.

Apples and Oranges, its like comparing a drag rail and a F1 car.

This looks like a better buy than a Rifle, if your after dirt cheap speed 400 pylon, IMHO.

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=596

Its cheaper, lighter, and the wings dont snap.

I hope electrifly fix the rifle, its got lots of potential.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jun 19, 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,003 Posts
The Weapon 400? I still have one unbuilt and there's a good reason too. The glass fuz is of shockingly poor quality with all the strength of an egg shell at the nose and built like a Panzer tank at the tail. The colour is just sprayed on top of the uneven molding and looks aweful. The servo mount inside the fuz comes glued out of line, the servo snake outer is too short, the wing whilst appearing strong is poorly built and covered, and the ready installed wing mounting plate and bolt hole are any which way! I like the metal motor mount and it's a perfect size plane for a Mega 16/15/3 and 2200mAh 3s LiPo, but from what I've seen at my LHS the Rifle appears infinitely better made.
I have started some repair work on the Weapon's fuz, but too be honest I've lost the will to try and make a silk purse from a sow's ear! The addage 'You only get what you pay for' has never been truer with the Weapon 400!
Save your money folks and don't buy one.
Sorry, rant over.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing