HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:43 AM
Permission to buzz the tower?
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Nov 2007
97 Posts
Okay, I've reinforced the wing as suggested and I've fixed the little tab by replacing with cf.

What I'm not sure about is what to do with the firewall. Mine seems pretty strong, but everyone says to strengthen it. Any instructions? Pictures?

Thanks to everyone for good advice. Hopefully I'll have a sweet speed demon lasting more than 4 flights!
ds-fifty is offline Find More Posts by ds-fifty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
MRN
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2002
172 Posts
I just did a maiden flight on my friend's Rifle. It wouldn't turn right. I put it down safely in some cattails. Eventhought we worked for quite a while to get the ailerons to move smoothly, it appears that they had more up then down movement. Also, it appears to need more control throws then recommended. This is the same problem mine had and it appears that is what caused the servo arm to crack, causing its demise.
Has has anybody else had problems turning right? Anybody else had the ailerons moving OK, but not moving as well after a flight?
Mike
MRN is offline Find More Posts by MRN
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,779 Posts
Logged more flights on mine today. All stock setup. Getting comfortable with it now and held it at WOT for a half dozen circuits around the field several times.

I really worked with my control surfaces before I assembled the kit, flexing them back and forth over and over to loosen them up. Mine does turn right and left.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:05 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Straight up, you'll need to order another spinner, I bought one of those a couple of weeks ago, they are made out of shiny cheese not metal. I stripped mine by looking at it funny, and they dont really fit speed 400 props without modification.

A friend of mine is happy with these, near MPJet quality is the word.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9073

Ive ordered some but my package has been awol for 3 weeks during this Lipo fiasco.

I agree with ya on those servos, they are very good, little bit noisy, I have 16 of them scattered through the fleet and havent had one dud.
Thanks Jacko! Spinner looks like a winner. I didn't see it when I trolled through the options a few weeks ago, but I expect to place another order soon so I'll get one then.

What is this "Lipo" fiasco????
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
United States, CA
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Logged more flights on mine today. All stock setup. Getting comfortable with it now and held it at WOT for a half dozen circuits around the field several times.

I really worked with my control surfaces before I assembled the kit, flexing them back and forth over and over to loosen them up. Mine does turn right and left.

My Rifle turns great! After all my mishaps and mods, she is now a yank and bank machine!

Happy Flying!

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:04 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Wing repair

A bad launch and attempted recovery put mine into the ground. The wing creased in two places and the motor mount came out. The fuse is also cracked in several places. I've fixed the wing using carbon strips and epoxy... feels really stiff now. Just need to glue the motor mount back into the nose and take care of the cracks in the fuse and should be ready to fly again. The Futaba S3154 micro worked great for aileron control. Mega 16/15/3 made this light (16 oz) setup scream with 4.75x4.75 apc, Turnigy 1000mah.

John
flyanything is offline Find More Posts by flyanything
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:28 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
3,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRN View Post
......, it appears that they had more up then down movement.
Mike
That is correct, differential (more up than down) is desirable on just about any plane you care to mention, full-size or model, and makes for a more axial roll without adverse yaw.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:43 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Back from the dead!

I re-glassed the nose last night when I glued the motor mount back in. The nose had been severely splintered with two pretty large chunks of glass torn out around the perimeter so just re-gluing in the mount without some form of reinforcement was not an option. Thought I'd give this repair a shot before just ordering the $40 replacement fuse. I've never done fiberglass work before so I'm pleasantly surprised with the results and how solid it feels. Now just a bit of sanding and I should be ready for reassembly. Ladies and gentlemen... I give you Franken-Rifle!

John
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Well guys, I got to maiden her today.

Setup as maidened was the Turnigy 2835-2700, 5.5x4.5 APC-E prop, SS 50A ESC, (2)HS-65HB's, GravityHobby.com 3s1p 1550mAh 30C battery, and a large-ish Airtronics 8ch 2.4Ghz RX.

AUW was 20.4 oz.

She pulled straight out of my hand on launch, even with the extra weight. Was a little shaky at first, but flies real smooth now. Spent half the pack at 25% throttle, trimming her out, and the second half trimming at ~60% throttle. Haven't gone WOT yet, as I want to get to know her first.

She does fly a little hotter from being overweight. I'd say it stalled around 25-30mph or so. I fed in about 10% differential and got turns and rolls a little smoother. CG was right on, and it paid off.

Landing was very smooth but hot. She hovers in ground effect for about 100ft while slowing down, then settles real nicely. I gave full up elevator once on the ground to dig in the tail and keep her straight. Also, I didn't install the skegs.

The motor was almost too hot, so I see an upgrade in the very near future. Everything else was ambient temperature.

I couldn't stay out there more than one pack though. It's 90 degrees with an index of 97, not very fun!

I'll get some flights in on this setup and slower prop, then do all the reinforcements I have planned.

I got some crappy cell phone video of the first couple minutes, but it's hard to see. Here goes anyways.

06131511.mp4 (2 min 52 sec)
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyanything View Post
A bad launch and attempted recovery put mine into the ground. The wing creased in two places and the motor mount came out. The fuse is also cracked in several places. I've fixed the wing using carbon strips and epoxy... feels really stiff now. Just need to glue the motor mount back into the nose and take care of the cracks in the fuse and should be ready to fly again. The Futaba S3154 micro worked great for aileron control. Mega 16/15/3 made this light (16 oz) setup scream with 4.75x4.75 apc, Turnigy 1000mah.

John
Nice. should be easy to launch
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
Wallington, New Jersey, USA
Joined Apr 2010
263 Posts
Maiden Today

I maidened mine today. Someone launched it for me, was very easy. He said it pulled right out of his hand and he didn't have to give it too much of a chuck.

I had to fly it around at about 60% throttle for a while, because I had to get used to it! Small plane, really fast, cloudy background. I gunned it only briefly twice, it's fast enough for me! :-)

Landing is interesting: It just won't slow down! :-) I let it come down as slowly as possible and then just kinda pushed it down. No problem. I do need the whole (grass) runway, though.

Bottom line: I really like it! As far as wing folding, I read the manual and they state to make smooth and wide turns and chop the throttle during turns. I guess as long as you do that, you won't have a problem with the wing.
hugofly is offline Find More Posts by hugofly
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:32 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2004
168 Posts
Data logger numbers for Flightmax 1000mah and 2200mah

Bought a Phoenix ICE Lite 75amp the other day for another project but used it's awesome data logging capability to get some numbers on my Rifle setup. I'm running a Mega 16/15/3 with a 4.75 x 4.75 APC prop. I've been flying it with a Flightmax 1000mah 25C pack to keep it light (16oz). But the logger is showing that full throttle bursts of 32amps are exceeding the packs 25amp rating by a good bit. When I fly the Rifle, I only do WOT bursts for a couple seconds during flying by's.

These brief tests were done by first holding WOT for a few seconds, then reducing throttle to approx. half and holding for a few more seconds. I would like to use the Flightmax 2200 20C but I could not fit it in the fuse without interfering with the aileron servo movement. After seeing these numbers, I'm going to try to moving things around to see if I can get it to fit. Based on the RPM numbers, it should be noticeably faster.

John
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:07 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,400 Posts
Not much point having a speed 400 pylon racer you cant crank around the corners at full speed, even with tame amounts of power.

Half of the fun with real speed 400 pylons is the crowd wowing and ass-cheek-clenching squillion G turns.

Whats the point in the rifle being composite if a balsa plane like a slipso400 will leave it for dead.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:15 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
I sent mine back to Hobby services this week. They never returned my email, so I sent them a letter with the plane including my original email and a link to this thread.

Hopefully they will send me another so I can mod the wing and give it a fair chance.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:52 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Well, I did all of the modifications to the wings, front end, tab and servo box....took it out and attempted the maiden flight. I had someone fly it for me that flys pylon and fan jets. Stock set up, cg at front position...could not pull it right. Nosed into the ground...asphalt! I have no more problems with the plane..Pilot is good pilot! would not turn and nosed straight in!
I am sending it back to GP with all of the mods and problems and broken parts ...including the ammo 3180. Maybe they will give me a credit toward another type of plane! I hope....never know.
Good luck guys
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper