SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2010, 05:13 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
BTW, I'll be lucky to come out under 20oz AUW. Right now I'm at 21.2oz, but that's with the heavier batteries. This isn't gonna end well...
Shpook is offline Find More Posts by Shpook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:34 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
I decided on HS-65HB's. I refuse to use 45's at these speeds, and the 65's are only a hair bigger than 55's.

Of course, they're much taller than the thickness of the wing, maybe 4-6mm. So I'm gonna have to use a hardwood riser to mount them to.

This causes another major problem. The servo sticks pretty far down into the fuse. Which means I have to push the battery further forward than I wanted. Now I have a severe nose heavy situation.

Let's see how far back I can get the receiver. I really enjoy working on my Magpie or SlowStick much more.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 08:29 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpook View Post
I decided on HS-65HB's. I refuse to use 45's at these speeds, and the 65's are only a hair bigger than 55's.

Of course, they're much taller than the thickness of the wing, maybe 4-6mm. So I'm gonna have to use a hardwood riser to mount them to.

This causes another major problem. The servo sticks pretty far down into the fuse. Which means I have to push the battery further forward than I wanted. Now I have a severe nose heavy situation.

Let's see how far back I can get the receiver. I really enjoy working on my Magpie or SlowStick much more.
The 45's worked fine. Carbonite gears and they are the right size.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wallington, New Jersey, USA
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
My CG is right on (as per the manual) with the battery in the nose (3 cell 1300mAh 30C), so I don't think you should have any issues with the bigger servo in terms of getting in the way of the battery. Have you checked your CG yet and are you sure you have to have the battery in the area where it would interfere with the servo / push rods?
hugofly is offline Find More Posts by hugofly
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:53 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,172 Posts
Id put money on those 45's geartrain! Ive rebuilt a few 65hbs so I outta know..

Its the torque that I question. At max speed and deflection the 45s have gone soft on ailerons. Also, the elevator does always return to center after moderate deflection. The 65s are probably a better choice in that they have a better center hold to deal with the draggy pushrod hardware and torque for the super-tight ailerons. The 45s work ok on ailerons in normal use and it would be very hard to strip them with an out of place battery or wire. Id say 45s if I can loosen up the controls.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
549 Posts
I picked up a Rifle from the LHS a few weeks ago, then began reading this thread. Egads, the wing strength issue is a concern! However, the Electrifly R&D rep claimed (in an early post) they did high-speed dive tests with aggressive pull-outs and didn't have a problem. I wonder why the kits aren't able to stand-up to similar?

As for the sheared stab screw, why not twist out the remaining shaft using a pair of pliers? I use nylon bolts to hold on my undercarriages (in my other planes), and when these shear due to a hard landing I just twist out the remaining threaded section using pliers and install a new bolt. There seemed to be some threaded shaft still protruding in the pic - enough to grip and twist?

My kit came with 2 x 3mm shaft collets. I attempted to drill one out, but it is no longer concentric. I ordered this replacement spinner, which is also 30mm in diameter and according to the second-top review, can be forced onto a 3.2mm (1/8") shaft:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4103

I ordered these servos, having used them for 2 seasons in my ExtremeFlight RC Vanquish, with no slop and incredible resolution + centering power:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6341
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,292 Posts
Straight up, you'll need to order another spinner, I bought one of those a couple of weeks ago, they are made out of shiny cheese not metal. I stripped mine by looking at it funny, and they dont really fit speed 400 props without modification.

A friend of mine is happy with these, near MPJet quality is the word.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9073

Ive ordered some but my package has been awol for 3 weeks during this Lipo fiasco.

I agree with ya on those servos, they are very good, little bit noisy, I have 16 of them scattered through the fleet and havent had one dud.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jun 10, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugofly View Post
My CG is right on (as per the manual) with the battery in the nose (3 cell 1300mAh 30C), so I don't think you should have any issues with the bigger servo in terms of getting in the way of the battery. Have you checked your CG yet and are you sure you have to have the battery in the area where it would interfere with the servo / push rods?
I checked CG with my 1800mAh batteries, and they had to be pushed pretty far aft. I've got some 1300mAh on the way, but I don't feel I'll be able to get them far enough forward. I think I'll make up a fake pack the same weight, and see where everything sits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Id put money on those 45's geartrain! Ive rebuilt a few 65hbs so I outta know..

Its the torque that I question. At max speed and deflection the 45s have gone soft on ailerons. Also, the elevator does always return to center after moderate deflection. The 65s are probably a better choice in that they have a better center hold to deal with the draggy pushrod hardware and torque for the super-tight ailerons. The 45s work ok on ailerons in normal use and it would be very hard to strip them with an out of place battery or wire. Id say 45s if I can loosen up the controls.
The torque was the main thing I was worried about. I got the ailerons as loose as possible, but they're still tight. I wanted to make sure I didn't overload the servos at speed, which is why I went with 65HB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Up View Post
As for the sheared stab screw, why not twist out the remaining shaft using a pair of pliers? I use nylon bolts to hold on my undercarriages (in my other planes), and when these shear due to a hard landing I just twist out the remaining threaded section using pliers and install a new bolt. There seemed to be some threaded shaft still protruding in the pic - enough to grip and twist?

My kit came with 2 x 3mm shaft collets. I attempted to drill one out, but it is no longer concentric. I ordered this replacement spinner, which is also 30mm in diameter and according to the second-top review, can be forced onto a 3.2mm (1/8") shaft:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4103
On mine, the bolt sheared off pretty low. I tried using an EZ-Out, but didn't have one small enough. I ended up drilling 2 1/32" holes on either side and using some precision needle nose pliers to work it out slowly. What a pain in the arse. I used 3mm x 14mm countersunk screws instead.

The collet included in the hardware bag fit a 3.2mm shaft for me, albeit a bit tight, it was much looser than the one on the spinner.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:52 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
The HS45s have far more torque than you'll need for the tiny control surfaces and minimal deflection you'll use at any sort of speed on the Rifle.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
What's that button do?
Hollywood, FL
Joined Feb 2008
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZiplok View Post
The HS45s have far more torque than you'll need for the tiny control surfaces and minimal deflection you'll use at any sort of speed on the Rifle.

= Mike
I'd agree with you, if the control surfaces weren't so friggin tight.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:52 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
I just received my wing from GP,problem is that the creases in this wing are much worse than the one I sent in.They run the entire chord of the wing.

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is online now Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Last edited by _HypnoToad_; Jun 15, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
I still can't understand why GP didn't put a carbon tube in the wing. It would have prevented all of these wing folding issues.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:15 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,076 Posts
that sucks hypnotoad, The more I read about the rifle the less likely I am to buy it. That being said I still want it
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:20 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
The more I read about the rifle the less likely I am to buy it.
I feel the exact same. I still feel the need for speed but now looking at the e-flite pogo.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:26 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,076 Posts
that is a cool looking plane, i just love the look of a clean underside with no landing gear.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion