HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:45 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinman View Post
Thank you for the reply! I feel like I'm asking so many questions, but would it still be under the warranty that you mentioned before if I use one or two motor sizes up like the 24-33-3500 or 24-33-4040?
Thanks so much
Austin
Hello Austin.

Well, I had a conversation with the manager of our Product Support department about your inquiry (whether we would honor the warranty if you used a different motor in the Rifle). First, I would like to declare that what I write here isn’t final – a bit of a disclaimer if you will. This is just my best recitation of our conversation. It is kind of a ‘gray area’ here. The motors you inquire about aren’t exactly larger per se. They are physically the same size, they just have a higher kV than the one recommended. In your favor, I explained to the manager that it would be kind of like using the recommended glow motor in a glow-powered plane, but using higher nitro to get more rpm. Or using a motor of a different brand that happens to be more powerful or turn higher rpm than the brand we used. In those scenarios I don't see how your warranty could be voided--you're safe. But it also comes down to the nature of the failure or the warranty claim. If something failed that had nothing to do with the motor, of course your warranty would still be honored. In the end it’s a case-by-case basis and all other facts have to be considered.

One other thing, and this is just my perception again; I know of many situations where Product Support has gone way above-and-beyond replacing customer’s merchandise (airplanes) or providing other compensation. Similarly though, I have also read complaints on the internet threads where customers feel they were not treated fairly, so again it’s case-by-case. I think that if you are a reasonable person and communicate in a professional manner this always helps your cause if the need ever arose. If you need more clarification on this please contact our Product Support department. You can even tell them you were talking to Tim Lampe from R&D about this.

One other thing (again); The final stage of our stress-testing regimen is to fly the model with additional lead ballast mounted inside. With the Rifle, we actually put it into a full-throttle vertical dive and pulled full, high-rate "up" elevator at terminal velocity (several times!). So the plane should be at least somewhat overengineered.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Last edited by KRProton; Apr 06, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:31 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
One other thing (again); The final stage of our stress-testing regimen is to fly the model with additional lead ballast mounted inside. With the Rifle, we actually put it into a full-throttle vertical dive and pulled full, high-rate "up" elevator at terminal velocity (several times!). So the plane should be at least somewhat overengineered.

Tim
I am glad yall have done this to ensure it is strong enough. I did this same thing with a funjet one time and the end result wasnt pretty.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:01 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Once again, thanks Tim!
austinman is offline Find More Posts by austinman
Old Apr 09, 2010, 07:02 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,568 Posts
I'm also quite interested in this plane. Any news on when you will post a video?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Apr 09, 2010, 07:06 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
I'm also quite interested in this plane. Any news on when you will post a video?
+1! Any videos of it yet Tim?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2010, 10:29 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,707 Posts
I don't know what the hold up on the video is. We shot it like three weeks ago. I got a sneak peak last week. Unfortunately, there wasn't much flying footage. Maybe that's what they're trying to work on--we flew like two or three flights.

All I can say is any day now. I check several times a day my self!

Tim
Old Apr 09, 2010, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I don't know what the hold up on the video is. We shot it like three weeks ago. I got a sneak peak last week. Unfortunately, there wasn't much flying footage. Maybe that's what they're trying to work on--we flew like two or three flights.

All I can say is any day now. I check several times a day my self!

Tim
good news! finally I wanna see a video of doing the full throttle dive and pull up. That would be good to see.

Thanks Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:39 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,616 Posts
VIDEO is up .... good lord, 121 MPH! I thought it was advertised at 90 MPH?

Rifle on Tower with video link

It is smaller than I expected. Looks like a lot of fun for sure!!!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:46 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,236 Posts
Not Bad! 121 on what must be around 250W, I want one Its slipperier than I thought, I wonder if that 121 was out of a dive though. Even so it looks like it flies well!

ElectriFly Rifle EP ARF RC Plane (1 min 17 sec)

Dunno if its been posted already but heres the manual, top marks too whoever wrote it, its easily the best speed400 pylon manual Ive ever seen! -

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1805-manual.pdf
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Apr 13, 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:10 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,707 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting the video! I didn't even know it was up yet (I've been checking like ten times a day!!!).

The speed runs were not out of a dive. Straight-and-level I assure you (I'm the one doing the launching and holding the gun). Right-to-left passes were with the wind though (about 5 - 7mph that day).

The advertised speeds (90mph I think it was) were taken from an earlier prototype. I was a little surprised (pleased!) when we were getting higher speeds the day of video.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4,052 Posts
Sweet! but now we have to wait to till they come out....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:41 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
heres the manual, top marks too whoever wrote it, its easily the best speed400 pylon manual ive ever seen! -

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1805-manual.pdf

ditto!
wollins is online now Find More Posts by wollins
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4,052 Posts
just read the manual. That is fantastic! Thank you for whoever made this manual.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,052 Posts
This is something that I noticed and I felt I must ask.

It claims that approx. 90mph is achieved with the "recommended equipment" yet the video claims 121mph. So in the video, is that the "recommended equipment" on that Rifle?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,707 Posts
Yup--stock, recommended equipent in the Rifle in the video. Batteries out of our random battery box in R&D and motor out of warehouse stock. The radar gun in the video isn't a claim--just one of the readings we got on the gun that day--some were a bit faster, some a bit slower (to me, the word "claim" seems to have a negative connotation). As I posted once before, the timed runs that day were down wind (about 7mph winds that day). But it was also cold out possibly contributing to the higher speeds than what we got the day we timed an earlier prototype it a long time ago.