HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:55 PM
rip
Joined Dec 2003
49 Posts
my rifles wing folded using all stock equipment.
rip is offline Find More Posts by rip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:37 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
my rifles wing folded using all stock equipment.

Wow that sucks to see it happen again! Contact Great Planes and tell them the details.
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:43 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Successful Flights Finally!

Pilots,

After my wing tab failure, and my fuselage traveling at over a buck 20 mph and sliding 2 football fields to a stop, I rebuilt my Rifle. I replaced the plastic wing tab with Bass Wood, and used carbon strips in the main wing.

Put 4 flights on her today at my local field. Did not fly with a spinner because it was bent to crap. I was WIDE OPEN Throttle and HOTT on my lowww passes and yank and banking HARD. 4 flights and she held up just fine. Landings are terrible since there is no spinner and even with good flare, when that motor mount hits the grass, its an instant STOP LOL!. All in all, I am having FUN with this thing now. Each flight I feel more confident. Mod it guys! and Get flying!

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:48 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Wow that sucks to see it happen again! Contact Great Planes and tell them the details.
i believe that rip was the first one to fold his wing and posted it but no one seemed to believe that he even had a Riffle.

ps. "no one" does NOT include me. I never had any doubt
hmmm, i think my grammar is wrong, but you get the point
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Old Jun 02, 2010, 06:33 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I've been studying this problem. That broken screw is not coming out without destroying the tail. The first screw went in with no issue, the 2nd screw went in the same way until it just twisted off. Its a defective part and because of this it has made the fuselage unusable, all due to a cheap 2 cent screw. I may just have gotten a bad one but I believe this falls under the warranty as described in the manual:

Great PlanesŪ Model Manufacturing Co. guarantees this kit to
be free from defects in both material and workmanship.

I've contacted GP and described what happened. I think this will be a good test of their customer service. I'll post the description I sent them and how they respond to me here.

Quote:
John sorry to see that screw break off. I deal with the oversea manufactures each day and you did nothing wrong. The holes for the horizontal stabilizer are quite a bit smaller than the screw. The Screws used are freaking the worse material. Soft poor excuse for hardware. I got my screws just about all the way in and the tops rounded off. Too much pressure=broken screws or rounding off a screw head. Your only choice is to use better counter sunk screws. Go to your LHS and go to the RC Car section and match up some similar screws. Good luck and keep on building!

Happy Flying,

Pete
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:14 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Pilots,

After my wing tab failure, and my fuselage traveling at over a buck 20 mph and sliding 2 football fields to a stop, I rebuilt my Rifle. I replaced the plastic wing tab with Bass Wood, and used carbon strips in the main wing.

Put 4 flights on her today at my local field. Did not fly with a spinner because it was bent to crap. I was WIDE OPEN Throttle and HOTT on my lowww passes and yank and banking HARD. 4 flights and she held up just fine. Landings are terrible since there is no spinner and even with good flare, when that motor mount hits the grass, its an instant STOP LOL!. All in all, I am having FUN with this thing now. Each flight I feel more confident. Mod it guys! and Get flying!

Happy Flying,

Pete
Glad to hear you're having good results with it pete. It's a surprisingly easy and cheap mod, so I really hope ours hold up in the long run.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:57 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
I'll buy one of the broken ones you guys have if you think with a prayer it could be salvaged
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:15 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Anyone know who we can contact at GP for information on version II or fix for our current version of the rifle? Anyone talked to them about these issues? Just wondering before I place a phone call into the cloud!
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:29 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
Anyone know who we can contact at GP for information on version II or fix for our current version of the rifle? Anyone talked to them about these issues? Just wondering before I place a phone call into the cloud!
Call Tower and ask for Electrifly's product support. Don't bother to email, I did over a week ago and never got a response.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 03, 2010, 04:43 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
The clouds are thick.
Yes, calling product support suggests sending everything at my expense for inspection..problem is that i have to drive and spend $ for shipping. Not acceptable considering the mounting problems here so I sent a picture and details by email.
The phone rep had heard nothing of this yet.
Reallly? Maybe it will take one of these fuselages rocketing through someone's car roof to get the word out! I can only imagine how many of these are coming down with people who dont view these groups.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:44 PM
rip
Joined Dec 2003
49 Posts
sorry it took so long to post pictures, they came off my cell phone camera.After the wing folded the plane went about 100 yards berfore it burried its nose about 4 inches in the ground.The fiber glass on these thing are pitful u can push on it with your finger and it leaves a dimple in the wing.
rip is offline Find More Posts by rip
Old Jun 04, 2010, 06:02 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
The clouds are thick.
Yes, calling product support suggests sending everything at my expense for inspection..problem is that i have to drive and spend $ for shipping. Not acceptable considering the mounting problems here so I sent a picture and details by email.
Horizon did the same thing. Now you have to send it at your expense and you have to pay for them to ship it back to you! I understand trying to cut costs but that is BS.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Busy Life
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:16 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
sorry it took so long to post pictures, they came off my cell phone camera.After the wing folded the plane went about 100 yards berfore it burried its nose about 4 inches in the ground.The fiber glass on these thing are pitful u can push on it with your finger and it leaves a dimple in the wing.
if the ground was that soft, you should be able to rebuild... that is, if you didnt over-"dimple" the wing...
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:22 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
The clouds are thick.
The phone rep had heard nothing of this yet.
Reallly? Maybe it will take one of these fuselages rocketing through someone's car roof to get the word out! I can only imagine how many of these are coming down with people who dont view these groups.
UPDATE: got a response in less than 24hrs from email offering apology and a pre-payed label via e-mail for return shipping. Thats more like it.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:27 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,092 Posts
Quote:
UPDATE: got a response in less than 24hrs from email offering apology and a pre-payed label via e-mail for return shipping. Thats more like it.
Sweet!
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Busy Life