HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 10:11 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803 View Post
Began the mods on my airframe tonight. I used a dremel to slice 2 slots in the underside of the wing. I then inserted a 3mm x 1mm carbon strip in each slot and glued them in with 30 minute epoxy. The strips were placed in upright which in that orientation are extremely rigid. I also 'glassed' the front wing tab with carbon fiber strands and epoxy (not pictured). The strips are flush with the wing, and honestly don't look bad when placed on the fuselage and viewed from the bottom.

edit: Not sure why the top slot looks jagged in the picture, but it is actually quite straight. I blame the terrible cell phone camera.
Thanks for sharing the mod. Looks excellent! Most definitely will help with the strength. I just wish I had the time to mod my wing. I'm more than sure your Rifle will hold up wayyyyyy better than most of ours. Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2010, 11:21 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
--Mounted vertically, that is a very stiff mod. I use that style carbon frequently. Maybe overlap and take a section of carbon past the end of the aileron.
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old May 30, 2010, 11:52 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803 View Post
I've had better results with these strips oriented vertically than simple rods, so with two I think it should be fine. Regardless of these mods, I won't be full speed cranking through turns. I just wanted to try to make the stock bird safer with very easy to do mods.
That should probably do the trick. Good call on the CF strips rather than rods. Small yet effective.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--Mounted vertically, that is a very stiff mod. I use that style carbon frequently. Maybe overlap and take a section of carbon past the end of the aileron.
Contrary... I just went to the hobby shop and bend tested various widths of both hollow rod and strip... the strips when bent vertically will CURL under load, therefore pushing its foam mountings in various directions, whereas the 1/8" hollow rod under the same load would bend the same amount, but only in one direction. Thats why the boys here dont use em' in there 140mph foam wing things. Ridged, yes, but its design can lead to early fatigue of its foam mounting if it flexes at all. This can be fixed by doubling up material in the center section. I opt to keep it simple. The method I explained earlier leaves no ridges and concealed with white filler. Test for yourself.
Cabon strips are designed to be attached to a ridged surface or under hard layer... I believe "jackomiester" has the most correct fix in mind using laminate..
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; May 30, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:03 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
--I use the carbon strips mounted vertically in foam planes like the Ph3 F16 and the Funjet with speeds up to 140 mph and 30 to 40 oz weight range. It works very well when glued in place and flexes far less than the round rod. Size I usually use is around 1.5mmx4mm I think. I also use 1/8x1/8 inch square carbon rod. Very stiff when glued in place also. Rifle may, however be best served with a different application. Maybe even use 3/4 wide carbon tape ribbon glued to a sanded surface of the bottom of the wing available from Dave Brown Products. Probably good for fusealage reinforcment also.

https://www.dbproducts.com/index2.htm
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old May 30, 2010, 10:45 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--I use the carbon strips mounted vertically in foam planes like the Ph3 F16 and the Funjet with speeds up to 140 mph and 30 to 40 oz weight range. It works very well when glued in place and flexes far less than the round rod. Size I usually use is around 1.5mmx4mm I think. I also use 1/8x1/8 inch square carbon rod. Very stiff when glued in place also. Rifle may, however be best served with a different application. Maybe even use 3/4 wide carbon tape ribbon glued to a sanded surface of the bottom of the wing available from Dave Brown Products. Probably good for fusealage reinforcment also.

https://www.dbproducts.com/index2.htm
I have that stuff..it comes on a cardboard roll and is a great idea. I mentioned it in an earlier message as a laminate between glass and foam from factory. That's would fix our problems for sure. I used it pressed between balsa skined foam with no failure with no spar at max g turns at 170 and 3.5 lb. Soaks up glue and presses thin. One could take out 20% of the glass/epoxy and still increase strenth by a great %.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:45 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
After seeing Zero3803's mod with the carbon spars, I decided to try it as well. I actually opted to use 1.4mm x 4.5mm carbon strips from Midwest Products. It is a pretty good size in height where it fits perfectly. I think this will for sure add strength. The vertical strength is awesome. I think in longer strips there is a chance of the carbon twisting, however, the strips used on the Rifle's wing are short enough where I don't think it will twist. I don't have a drill press or anything so Mr. Dremel and I went to town on the wing. 15 minute epoxy and denatured alcohol and she's ready. This is my already crashed Rifle. It now has the carbon in the wing and bass wood for a wing tab. I am literally going to yank and bank this thing as hard as I can. We will see how she hold together. Thanks Zero3803!

Happy Memorial Day!

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2010, 07:30 PM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Contrary... I just went to the hobby shop and bend tested various widths of both hollow rod and strip... the strips when bent vertically will CURL under load, therefore pushing its foam mountings in various directions, whereas the 1/8" hollow rod under the same load would bend the same amount, but only in one direction. Thats why the boys here dont use em' in there 140mph foam wing things. Ridged, yes, but its design can lead to early fatigue of its foam mounting if it flexes at all. This can be fixed by doubling up material in the center section. I opt to keep it simple. The method I explained earlier leaves no ridges and concealed with white filler. Test for yourself.
Cabon strips are designed to be attached to a ridged surface or under hard layer... I believe "jackomiester" has the most correct fix in mind using laminate..
I anticipate slight wing flex, but at the point to which my particular length of cf strip starts to curl significantly, I don't believe the wing would survive. I have the dave brown cf 'tape' which I had considered using on the underside as well similar to the discus launch glider from mountain models.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:31 AM
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Jan 2007
1,023 Posts
Hi all,

My friend flew his rifle for the second time yesterday. This thing really hauls the mail. Fastest plane he has next to his blizzard. His other planes are edf (Habu, L-39, F-18).
On his first day of flying, he had to increase his recommended elevator throws. Flew much better second day. Wow this thing lands pretty hot. Broke a carbon prop! Do they make small folding props? Worth looking into? Told him about the few concerns on the wing and firewall. Rarely does go full throttle and when he does it's for just a second or two! It's my turn to take the Rifle plunge! Great looking and flying plane! Even in the air, it doesn't look or feel too small.

Thanks for the heads up and info.

jerry
Ebolavoodoo is offline Find More Posts by Ebolavoodoo
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:56 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
4.7x4.7 folder - Theyre not cheap, but look awesome

http://www.eflight.ch/shop/USER_ARTI...41517939e4efea
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:48 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
4.7x4.7 folder - Theyre not cheap, but look awesome

http://www.eflight.ch/shop/USER_ARTI...41517939e4efea
...Or you can buy a MP-Jet folding spinner 30mm + foldingblades at HC 5x5, works very good and will hold up to 500-600 watts easy..

I can take picture later in week so you can see...
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:11 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
I have some of those HC blades. Never been game enough to spin them up look like tooth picks.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:00 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Does anyone know where to purchase a spinner/prop adapter for this thing? The stock set up. I went to test yesterday in the morning and the high end vibes were terrible. Any ideas? Thanks!

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:14 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Does anyone know where to purchase a spinner/prop adapter for this thing? The stock set up. I went to test yesterday in the morning and the high end vibes were terrible. Any ideas? Thanks!

Pete
I have the stock spinner and will probably never use it.

I would go with a 28mm motor with a larger shaft, then prop accordngly. Better results, less heat. It's summertime!!! Time to burn up motors. I have burnt two in the last two weeks.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:18 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post

Pete
I had the same problem untill i realized my prop was unbalanced (even after checking), and another time when the firewall was cracked. Is your shaft bent? The kit somes with a duplicate aluminum prop shaft. Try to reinstall also. Make sure you torque evenly upon application... that soft prop shaft can bend.