HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 12:31 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I really can't understand why they didn't add a wing spar as it would have eliminated so many potential wing failures. In my opinion they also should have marketed this as a pylon racer training plane and put a smaller, less powerful power system in it and went for an 80 MPH racer that would hold up to anything with the stock setup. An 80 mph pylon/sport plane at that low entry level cost should satisfy the majority of entry level "need for speed" flyers. A second generation with carbon fiber reinforcements could then be offered that could handle a much higher power system for a higher entry cost.

John
This puppy did 80+ at half throttle.. The days of 80mph s400 planes died when brushless came. Let's step forward into the modern age, keep it light, with the abilty to go 150.. Or putt around at 80 with the throttle stick pulled back. These designs are for pilots who have flown hot sport planes. The 50% bigger, 110 mph eflight pogo is ur trainer.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 12:45 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Im not a 100% fan of the idea of dremeling a spar into the rifles wing.

All the wings strength, both in torsion and span wise, is in the glass skin (which is obviously not up to the job stock) as soon as you cut the glass skin youve massively weakened and already weak wing. The Carbon will add some rigidity back into it span wise, but the wing will be weaker over all.

The only proper way to fix it would be too sand all the paint off, rout out a strip in the lower surface, lay some carbon tow, then reglass it over the top, then vac bag the wing without warping it.

They need to lay it up properly in the factory.

Correct! I agree! By the time we put that kind of time into this $109 airframe, I'd rather buy a certified kit from like Soaring USA. Not worth the time.
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2010, 01:57 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Correct! I agree! By the time we put that kind of time into this $109 airframe, I'd rather buy a certified kit from like Soaring USA. Not worth the time.
Well I was talking 1/8" of glass removed.. a 3mm+ carbon rod set deep in epoxy takes the place of inches of width of that thin glass..its no secret that an arrow shaft saves the day on heavy foam wing planes, with no glass. No matter.. I'm not taking the time. I will spend 200++ bills to get piece of mind.. But hey, if they get it right, I will gladly take a replacement, free of charge.
Last edited by MikeRx; May 29, 2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:26 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Well I was talking 1/8" of glass removed.. a 3mm+ carbon rod set deep in epoxy takes the place of inches of width of that thin glass..its no secret that an arrow shaft saves the day on heavy foam wing planes, with no glass. No matter.. I'm not taking the time. I will spend 200++ bills to get piece of mind.. But hey, if they get it right, I will gladly take a replacement, free of charge.
Mike, you are right. I just don't want to spend the time to put in a carbon rod. If you have a free minute and would like to carbon rod my Rifle wing, I'd be glad to send it to you! I'm just kidding! I am pretty sure that this is just the V1 of the Rifle. I am hoping that GP will come out with a revised V2. I really do love the way the Rifle looks and flies. If they don't I'd rather pay $200 plus for some ear to ear grin and peace of mind as well.

Happy Memorial Day!

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2010, 09:59 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Mike, you are right. I just don't want to spend the time to put in a carbon rod. If you have a free minute and would like to carbon rod my Rifle wing, I'd be glad to send it to you! I'm just kidding! I am pretty sure that this is just the V1 of the Rifle. I am hoping that GP will come out with a revised V2. I really do love the way the Rifle looks and flies. If they don't I'd rather pay $200 plus for some ear to ear grin and peace of mind as well.

Happy Memorial Day!

Pete
Actually, if one arrived in my hands now, i could have the upgrades completed in one hour, and three hours later, flight worthy with enough daylight to fire a dozen snap-free flights! Now that would be a memorial day weekend!!
READ THIS.. anyone in DFW area that doesnt want to wait for V2, bring your rifle by for a free upgrade.. As a bonus, you get to see your rifle go 120 mph through tight, low pylon turns without breakage...or the option to test a light 4s system that draws the same amp as 3s, has same weight, but gives 15-20mph more top end. Good times!
Last edited by MikeRx; May 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:13 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Actually, if one arrived in my hands now, i could have the upgrades completed in one hour, and three hours later, flight worthy with enough daylight to fire a dozen snap-free flights! Now that would be a memorial day weekend!!
READ THIS.. anyone in DFW area that doesnt want to wait for V2, bring your rifle by for a free upgrade.. As a bonus, you get to see your rifle go 120 mph through tight, low pylon turns without breakage...or the option to test a light 4s system that draws the same amp as 3s, has same weight, but gives 15-20mph more top end. Good times!

Alrighty then! Send me your address and I will be on my way! "As a bonus, you get to see your rifle go 120 mph through tight, low pylon turns without breakage" ya that's what I'm talkin about! That's the flying that makes me wet my nickers! How long will it take to drive from Huntington Beach, CA to DFW? While I'm there I'm going to find me some good BBQ!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2010, 11:02 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Alrighty then! Send me your address and I will be on my way! "As a bonus, you get to see your rifle go 120 mph through tight, low pylon turns without breakage" ya that's what I'm talkin about! That's the flying that makes me wet my nickers! How long will it take to drive from Huntington Beach, CA to DFW? While I'm there I'm going to find me some good BBQ!
Um.. your looking at a 1400 mi 24hr drive to Dallas Tx...
Old May 29, 2010, 11:05 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Um.. your looking at a 1400 mi 24hr drive to Dallas Tx...

haha I know! I was just kidding with ya. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend! I'm going flying right now!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2010, 01:49 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Tim, I have to differ. I do not know who you have been speaking with at GP or what not. I called and spoke with a tech for more than 15 min. If you read all the posts, you will know that many of us (including me) was using all STOCK recommended electronics. I do not know how you came up with the complaints at 0. I called on Tuesday. As for folding the wings, yes they did happen to a few. Per my experience, the wing tab sheering off, tell me something. DO you think that tab should be just plain plastic? Not even a composite blend? The box reads, 90mph. The actual speed on the recommended electronics exceeds 120. You guys even have it on Radar for the video. I'm not trying to ruff any feathers here. I am a vendor and a product developer as well. I voiced I can care less if I crash a plane due to a failure. It is when the fuselage is traveling at over 110mph with no control that worries me. GP needs to take a good look and really put the wings to the test. Until then, maybe the 4.75x4.75 APC should not be the suggested propeller.

Kind Regards and Happy Flying,

Pete
GP once told me only about 3 months ago that since the GP Siren's existence they have only received 2 complaints or returns. Take a look at the three piece wing on the Siren and notice what is used for wing joiners (popsicle sticks glued together).
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Last edited by johnnyrocco123; May 29, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:52 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Tim, I have to differ. I do not know who you have been speaking with at GP or what not. I called and spoke with a tech for more than 15 min. If you read all the posts, you will know that many of us (including me) was using all STOCK recommended electronics. I do not know how you came up with the complaints at 0. I called on Tuesday. As for folding the wings, yes they did happen to a few. Per my experience, the wing tab sheering off, tell me something. DO you think that tab should be just plain plastic? Not even a composite blend? The box reads, 90mph. The actual speed on the recommended electronics exceeds 120. You guys even have it on Radar for the video. I'm not trying to ruff any feathers here. I am a vendor and a product developer as well. I voiced I can care less if I crash a plane due to a failure. It is when the fuselage is traveling at over 110mph with no control that worries me. GP needs to take a good look and really put the wings to the test. Until then, maybe the 4.75x4.75 APC should not be the suggested propeller.

Kind Regards and Happy Flying,

Pete
Most definitely. In the meantime I would suggest a 4.5x4.1 prop on the stock setup.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 29, 2010, 05:27 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Are you saying your escape is for sale?

Id love one, hopefully they get put back into production.
You wouldn't want my Escape, trust me
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old May 29, 2010, 08:59 PM
Wallington, New Jersey, USA
Joined Apr 2010
261 Posts
Putting mine together stock (waiting for the motor). Will let you know how it goes. I'll fly it fast, but I won't pull hard on the elevator (because I read this thread).
hugofly is offline Find More Posts by hugofly
Old May 30, 2010, 12:04 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Began the mods on my airframe tonight. I used a dremel to slice 2 slots in the underside of the wing. I then inserted a 3mm x 1mm carbon strip in each slot and glued them in with 30 minute epoxy. The strips were placed in upright which in that orientation are extremely rigid. I also 'glassed' the front wing tab with carbon fiber strands and epoxy (not pictured). The strips are flush with the wing, and honestly don't look bad when placed on the fuselage and viewed from the bottom.

edit: Not sure why the top slot looks jagged in the picture, but it is actually quite straight. I blame the terrible cell phone camera.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Last edited by Zero3803; May 30, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:43 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
looks good, think it will hold up to those high speed tight turns?
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old May 30, 2010, 01:38 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
looks good, think it will hold up to those high speed tight turns?
I've had better results with these strips oriented vertically than simple rods, so with two I think it should be fine. Regardless of these mods, I won't be full speed cranking through turns. I just wanted to try to make the stock bird safer with very easy to do mods.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803