HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2010, 06:36 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Do we have a count here on how many of us have had wing failures?
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
This is an entertaining 5 minute vid. Flight, crash, scavenger hunt.

This is flight #5 for the Rifle. The last flight, and I won't be getting another.
Both an amusing and scary vid. Not sure how much pylon style flying stress you've place on this plane over the previous 4 flights but sadly my benefit-of-the-doubt-to-Electrifly attitude is beginning to wane. Over even a short number of flights a few power turns are inevitable. This has me believing even for sport flying, at minimum, a wing construction mod is surely in order just to keep all safe.

Thanks for the video documentation and levity. Looks like I too will likely wait to see if any positive response from Electrifly comes about before making my purchase.

Cheers!
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Old May 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
Do any of your guys know where I can get a GOOD, I guess 400 size plane that I can use my stock Ammo, 3cell and other stuff out of this plane and have good performance? I have this stock ammo and the 4875 ammo...a couple himax motors....eflite esc's (30-60) Everyone keeps talking about the sokol and the VIP . Maybe something a little larger than the rifle...so I can see it! and somewhere around the 150mph mark! I have seen the voodoo online with sokol and VIP. They all look pretty wild, but I don't know how long they last. Any that you all have tried... and hold together, built well and stupid fast!
Thanks, I may give up on this rifle deal and see if my shop will take this back on trade for something else.
Check into SoaringUSA.com and im sure you have been there already but check out the Sunracer, and Escape pylon, or the VIP-1. I have flown them and they are great for a budget smokin fast pylon plane. You could prolly throw that rifle setup into the VIP-1, or into the escape or sunracer but you will have to bump your 3S batts to a 2200mah-2400. Lots of threads on here about those planes i mentioned. YES youtube is great to watch. I always WATCH before i BUY.

casey
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Old May 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,825 Posts
Quote:
Do any of your guys know where I can get a GOOD, I guess 400 size plane that I can use my stock Ammo, 3cell and other stuff out of this plane and have good performance? I have this stock ammo and the 4875 ammo...a couple himax motors....eflite esc's (30-60) Everyone keeps talking about the sokol and the VIP . Maybe something a little larger than the rifle...so I can see it! and somewhere around the 150mph mark! I have seen the voodoo online with sokol and VIP. They all look pretty wild, but I don't know how long they last. Any that you all have tried... and hold together, built well and stupid fast!
Thanks, I may give up on this rifle deal and see if my shop will take this back on trade for something else.
Anything larger than the sokol/vip would be anemic with the Rifle's stock setup. It would fly the Vip-1 really well. That plane can hit 150, but you will need a (Neu) setup, and an 1800mah 40C lipo.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 27, 2010, 09:25 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Great! Thanks, I have been watching Youtube and the planes are crazy fast! That is what I thought we were getting with the rifle. I don't think I am going to fly this at all.
After seeing the video and watching the wing come apart....not cool at all. GP should honor a return for anyone that bought this plane!....Anyone from GP reading this thread? I have noticed that the word is spreading through other threads also...like the Pogo thread. Thanks for the Info!
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old May 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Get a voodoo, faster than a VIP1, keeps more speed in the turns, but lands hotter and has less room in the fuselage. Just got the 16-5-2 for mine. 509 grams, 600W, 37000 rpm, 1200W/kg 170mph is likely, im gonna pee myself!

Another great flying speed400 that happily go from mild to wild is a Dynamic 400, if you can find one. Great little plane, i got mine second hand and ive had it for over 2 years. Ive been offered good money for it, but will never sell it

The other option (which is the cheapest by far!) is too build a slipso400, either from scratch or short kit. They move out well

Couple of other speed400 pylon that ive never seen or flown in person, but a stratair pyro and acme models hummer looks pretty slick.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,825 Posts
Quote:
Great! Thanks, I have been watching Youtube and the planes are crazy fast! That is what I thought we were getting with the rifle. I don't think I am going to fly this at all.
After seeing the video and watching the wing come apart....not cool at all. GP should honor a return for anyone that bought this plane!....Anyone from GP reading this thread? I have noticed that the word is spreading through other threads also...like the Pogo thread. Thanks for the Info!
Well we need to start making them aware at Electrifly. They don't read these threads. Everyone that has had a crash due to the airframe should call or email and let them know the story..setup...
Old May 27, 2010, 10:01 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Wow, I really wanted one of these when they were first announced, glad I hesitated.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old May 27, 2010, 11:25 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Get a voodoo, faster than a VIP1, keeps more speed in the turns, but lands hotter and has less room in the fuselage. Just got the 16-5-2 for mine. 509 grams, 600W, 37000 rpm, 1200W/kg 170mph is likely, im gonna pee myself!

Another great flying speed400 that happily go from mild to wild is a Dynamic 400, if you can find one. Great little plane, i got mine second hand and ive had it for over 2 years. Ive been offered good money for it, but will never sell it

The other option (which is the cheapest by far!) is too build a slipso400, either from scratch or short kit. They move out well

Couple of other speed400 pylon that ive never seen or flown in person, but a stratair pyro and acme models hummer looks pretty slick.
Don't forget the Sunracer/Escape. Watt for Watt they are nearly as fast as your voodoo (I get 165mph on 600W with my Escape, and my Sunracer is slightly faster then he Escape with the same setup), but they are much bigger. This means easier to launch, easier to see, easier to fly, easier to fit gear in, etc, etc. The Sunracer is slightly more expensive, but as long as you don't plan on crashing, its just about the best investment you can make!

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old May 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
I don't know that I would necessarily pass judgment, as some of you apparently are, on this product because a person or two in this thread has experienced a failure of some sort? For every person who has had a failure, there are assuredly others who have not? And how many people who are flying Rifles do not even frequent RCGroups or this thread? I do know that the folks who brought this plane to market have been in the business of making planes for some time now. They DO spend time and money on R&D, and they also do testing on prototypes which includes pushing them to the limit ... and beyond.

Just a thought, my proverbial two cents, before this thread collectively condemns this still new product before it has even really had time to develop.

And for those of you who have experienced problems, there are official customer support channels in place with said vendor, through which you can communicate any of your concerns or angst.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 12:32 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Are you saying your escape is for sale?

Id love one, hopefully they get put back into production.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 28, 2010, 01:52 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I'm doing carbon reinforcements on mine which should hopefully lessen the chance of any failures. So far on the to-do list:

Dremel a slot for a cf spar
Reinforce the wing tab with cf cloth and epoxy
reinforce the firewall, and elevator mount if needed.

Will post pics/results as they come. Waiting for cf cloth/tape as of right now.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old May 28, 2010, 05:09 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,092 Posts
I know if your having problems I would tell GP about it. They cant do anything about it unless these problems are presented to them.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Busy Life
Old May 28, 2010, 07:57 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Bajora, I don't think that people are giving an unfair assessment of this plane. Many of the people on this thread have other planes in this arena and know what is expected of such a design. I have not seen anything so far that has stated that people are pushing the design beyond its purpose. I have had several issues, which I have stated in this thread and have never even flown the plane yet. I am sure GP does not manufacture this plane and they need to be aware of not only the design and engineering....flaw of this plane but the potential of danger from the obvious lack of quality control and testing. I think if this was a small J3 cub that just floated around, the general attitude and perception may be different, but maybe not. These are high performance aircraft that have the potential of flying apart in a turn or straight away and causing harm to people or property. I have not yet flown mine with the stock recommended set up. You are correct that many of these may be OK. I am not sure if I want to test mine out and see how lucky I got!
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old May 28, 2010, 08:03 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,825 Posts
(Quote)I do know that the folks who brought this plane to market have been in the business of making planes for some time now.

Yeah, but nothing like this model. If anything our feedback can help matters with them. Afterall this plane hasn't even been officially released.