HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 10:18 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Well Im sad to report a wing fold yesterday. I was getting very confident, pulling harder turns when the wing snapped in two with one half staying connected to the plane. I already had noticed the wing/tongue problem and fixed accordingly. Problem is that the plane went into a road and hit HARD.
I was flying in moderate wind, 92 degrees, and running 2200 3s at 19.5oz weight.. Pulled hard left after 120 est mph downwind pass... I walked up to a separated battery AND buzzing servos I did not want to touch it!

Will post pics later..
Sorry to hear that Mike. I think I am going to hold off on the second Rifle for me. Theres nothing any of us can do to make the main wing stronger. I think with the speeds, the wing needs to be a different material. The glass over foam is not holding up. I guess I'll spend a few more bucks and just get a hollow molded ship. I can then fly with confidence. I think for the guys that are still enjoying the Rifle, keep on flying her. Just stay away from pylon style turns and higher G maneuvers. Just sport fly it. Should hold up fine.

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
HAHA Good times! Yes it is me, the Banana Hobby dude! LOL! YES by all means, get your Dremel and go to town. It is not a question of IF it's going to fail. It is a question of When. I am buying a second Rifle and I am going to modify it. I like speed. It has to be safe! Boy if you could of seen the pylon style yank and banks like with the wing tip a foot off the ground. It is so FUNNNNN! I still think the Rifle is a great product at a good retail price. Time for Rifle #2!

Happy Flying,

Pete
I agree, I'm hooked too.. but we should let THEM make the fix. There ae liability issues with recommending a level of power that exceeds the airframe strenth.
Wouldnt it be nice to be able to throw a mega in there with no worries??
Id pay $150 if they got it right..
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old May 26, 2010, 10:25 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Sorry to hear that Mike. I think I am going to hold off on the second Rifle for me. Theres nothing any of us can do to make the main wing stronger. I think with the speeds, the wing needs to be a different material. The glass over foam is not holding up. I guess I'll spend a few more bucks and just get a hollow molded ship. I can then fly with confidence. I think for the guys that are still enjoying the Rifle, keep on flying her. Just stay away from pylon style turns and higher G maneuvers. Just sport fly it. Should hold up fine.

Happy Flying,

Pete
Yeah but who wants to sport fly this? That's what an E-Flite Mini Pulse is for.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
I agree, I'm hooked too.. but we should let THEM make the fix. There ae liability issues with recommending a level of power that exceeds the airframe strenth.
Wouldnt it be nice to be able to throw a mega in there with no worries??
Id pay $150 if they got it right..
You got it. I totally agree with you. The Rifle is such a nice looking little aircraft. I think they will come out with a V2 soon. I will direct a link to the techs at GP to this thread as well.

Happy Flying,

Pete
Old May 26, 2010, 11:00 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
to electrifly's credit.. this REACTOR is built well with 50% more than stock power and NO problems, and none expected. A $1 or so worth of well placed carbon here and there will fix the rifle.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Correct! However, I sure am not going to be putting this aircraft through the paces of what I would like to do. I think and hope GP will correct the issues, slap on a price tag a bit higher and let's fly! It's usually a case of under powered recommend electronics. LOL this time is over powered and the airframe not up to the speed.

Happy Flying,

Pete
Old May 26, 2010, 11:08 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
As promised.. Fifle #2

Motor may be good because firewall came straight back. Servos good. I would have screamed bloody murder if that Ice 50 was destroyed!
Notice hardwood on wing tongue. that bit plus some carbon ribbon between glass and foam under-wing, and the firewall "keyed" in with some carbon, and we have a home run... but for now its 2 strikes for me..
By the way.. that look on Perdy's mug was after I said BAD PLANE! lol
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MikeRx; May 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
johnnyrocco123Rocco, Thanks for the link. I will also be looking into getting another plane that is designed and manufactured to handle the speed and performance. You know, this is a hobby and most everything is never perfect, but when I look at some of my other planes I may say, my wings are not exact on my eflite beaver and my stearman needs a little weight up front for balance, my Hangar 9 showtime and pulse could use a little beefing up on the landing gear. But when I say - Oh, my Rifle just blew out the motor from the firewall that let go right before I took off (true) and the wing has the potential of coming off this 120+ mph missile because of weak engineering and quality control. I think I will sell this to somebody that needs a project and purchase something more tried and proven. It is a shame that we have to spend hard earned money to be a test bed for things like this. Not a good perception!
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Last edited by keehopper; May 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:43 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Motor may be good because firewall came straight back. Servos good. I would have screamed bloody murder if that Ice 50 was destroyed!
Notice hardwood on wing tongue. that bit plus some carbon ribbon between glass and foam under-wing, and the firewall "keyed" in with some carbon, and we have a home run... but for now its 2 strikes for me..
By the way.. that look on Perdy's mug was after I said BAD PLANE! lol
Cute dog. Sorry about your plane, guess speed does kill. I have never tried something that fast, looks like fun though!
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old May 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Well, shelled out another $39.99 for a new AMMO motor. Did some repairs and she is ready to fly again. Replaced the main wing tab with Basswood. I put her back together specifically to go to the dry lake bed to fold the wings. I want to see how much she can handle. Mike above already proved the wings will fold. Cute dog though!

Happy Flying,

Pete
Old May 27, 2010, 08:55 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Anyone know where to purchase parts for the Rifle yet? Like the Spinner etc. Google shows nada. Thanks!

Happy Flying,

Pete
Old May 27, 2010, 08:56 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,690 Posts
Another one bites the dust. Freak Launch too!

This is an entertaining 5 minute vid. Flight, crash, scavenger hunt.

This is flight #5 for the Rifle. The last flight, and I won't be getting another.

Great Planes Rifle Wing Failure (5 min 38 sec)
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 27, 2010, 09:09 AM
USA, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Mar 2005
359 Posts
After looking at the video.....Great Planes would be smart and pull this plane....just my 3 cents....OR....
Don't fly faster 90 MPH....LOL
bosco49 is offline Find More Posts by bosco49
Last edited by bosco49; May 27, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:19 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:

This is flight #5 for the Rifle. The last flight, and I won't be getting another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgjyTy66RE
Omgosh! You know to get away from the serious danger issues of the Rifle, the video is great in the aspect of your personalities! I love the light heart personalities and just the love for the hobby coming through even when there's a terrible experience. You guys look like a ton of fun to fly with!

I am SO glad to see that the aircraft did not hit anyone or anything. WOW. And you had one wing stay on. Can you imagine if you busted both wings off??? That thought freaks me out! Sorry to see the demise of the ARC motor and your lipo. Thanks for sharing your video with us all. I think we got the attention of GP now.

Happy Flying always!

Pete
Old May 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgjyTy66RE
Wow that was dramatic!! You didnt know what you were gonna find at the crash site!! ...but you kept your cool. My crash was identical.. into a road, followed by a truck that went over the plane, but did not crush it. My wing stayed on too. go figure.
RCG Plus Member