Old May 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyanything View Post
Got a successful maiden and a second flight in today. Here is my setup:

Mega 16/15/3, APC 4.75 x 4.75, Phoenix 35, FlightMax 1000 25C, AUW 16.2 oz. This is a lightweight setup but it still hauls butt with nice long, fast glide off throttle. I'm doing WOT low passes with pretty hard left up and outs and the response from the other guys at the field is pretty unanimous... "I gotta get me one of those!" I will try to get a radar reading on it tomorrow at our club's annual "Flying for a Cure" cancer fund raising event. I'm pretty sure the Rifle will be the fastest thing in the air. Well, that and my Micro Flash II hotliner.

I tried to test fit a FlightMax 2200 but it didn't want to slide under my ESC, which is velcro'd to the top of the fuse along with leads bundled. The FlightMax 1000 is a short pack so it sits just in front of the former without going under the ESC. So far the Rifle does not appear as fast as the Sokol with the same setup (w/ 2200mah) but for the money it's definitely a blast to fly. I'm really glad I had my LHS pre-order me one. Had him also pre-order a E-Flight Pogo... I'll be stalking down those FunJets!!!

John

PS. Landings with the skids were SWEET, it slid straight ahead with no problems (made me look good) unlike the Sokol which would sometimes slide sideways and lift up a wing. I did lose a skid on the second flight... have to go look for it tomorrow on the grass runway.
SWEET! I was just given this motor! Check out ALL R/C for new hyperion 45-90c 1100s 2 or 3 cell.. they are priced right and will likely transform your setup.. and you have room for 4s using 2x7.4v.. although I think the sokol is more suited to this level of power. Im gonna go rear vent hole with the reciever (ar6100) to facilitate 2200 3s for the mega. try 4.75x5.5 prop. May rethink servo placement and upgrade also. Megas dont play. Whats funny is that we can outrun the foam thingys with FAR less watts!
Very interested to see radar readings..
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2010, 10:22 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keehopper View Post
Any good tips on maden flights with these? High rates on take off and landing? COG seems to be pretty good....between the 1st two marks.
All set! Full throttle, high rate and nice shove at 20-30degrees. Best to have help launching to be able to pull up as needed. Be square to wind
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
All set! Full throttle, high rate and nice shove at 20-30degrees. Best to have help launching to be able to pull up as needed. Be square to wind
And don't blink!

Happy Flying,

Pete
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
Old May 23, 2010, 01:53 AM
buffalo NY
Joined May 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Towerhobbies rifle date pushed back again.. Mid June.....
NOOOOOOOO !!!!

man i thought i was gonna have this plane for this up coming weekend damn
airplanenut1 is offline Find More Posts by airplanenut1
Old May 23, 2010, 07:49 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
For the poster who maligns the HK servos, these HXT9 gram servos are pretty ubiquitous these days (THEY ARE EVERYWHERE AND COMMON AS DIRT. OK?) I have run them in pretty fast planes and think they are equivalent to the Hitech 55, with more torque by a lot. I have not had very good luck with the HK ESC's and am 1 for 4, with the super simple 30 being what works. I have had a Castle and a GP silver series fail too. IMHO the Jeti esc's are best. If you are running 2 aileron servos I would not hesitate to use the HXT 9 there, as one aileron will still fly fine. You can strip the gears, but I think they are actually more durable than the Hitech s55 and GWS gears (Nano.)
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old May 23, 2010, 07:52 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I was looking at Lightflight's listings of Arc motors. Anyone have any experience with these Suppo ESC's?
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old May 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA flyer View Post
I was looking at Lightflight's listings of Arc motors. Anyone have any experience with these Suppo ESC's?
I here they hold up well with a good BEC. I don't think he stocks them anymore though.

Drop him an email, he has been really good as of late responding. Dave said he will just be focusing on the ARC motors from here on out.

I have a ARC 36-55-1.5 on it way. 5S with a pylon 6.5x6.5 cam prop.

ARGH!!!!!!
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,139 Posts
Haha flying in 15-30 winds no problem today on 2200 zippy 3s. There is nothing wrong with the stock setup, even flying heavy with big esc and battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2010, 03:26 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Haha flying in 15-30 winds no problem today on 2200 zippy 3s. There is nothing wrong with the stock setup, even flying heavy with big esc and battery.
That big motor is for my hotliner gone Pylon racer.

BTW, if any of you are like me and lose the tiny wing srews on these planes, the size is M3 x10 at your local Ace hardware. I bought about ten. I am prepared now.

Two more flights this morning with the Rifle. Nice.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:52 PM
Mini Raven!!
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA flyer View Post
Anyone have any experience with these Suppo ESC's?
I don't know about the Suppo esc's, but I have heard good things about the Hobby-Wing esc's, especially with the programming card.
austinman is offline Find More Posts by austinman
Old May 23, 2010, 08:00 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Suppo = HK SS Esc's
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Turnigy B2835 2700kV and 3900kV inrunner testing is done -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249227

Not exactly amazing, but will work.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old May 23, 2010, 09:55 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
This takes care of the cooling problem.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5453

Read the reviews.
thats what I was thinking, and prolly a much lighter motor too so out front should help with the CG issue, and if its not enough, you can cram more mahs into the fuse =)
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
Old May 23, 2010, 09:57 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
A 4S funjet is a very good pylon trainer.
Why not a 3s? Mine goes low 90s with about 300 watts.
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
Old May 23, 2010, 11:43 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp3822 View Post
Why not a 3s? Mine goes low 90s with about 300 watts.
Start with 3S and then go to 4S. After flying a funjet around at 120-130mph a small speed 400 pylon is easy to get into.