SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2010, 12:29 AM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
if your plane is a little on the heavy side, and you do a lot of WOT bank and yank turns, that puts lots of stress on the poor wing. it may not fold on the first flight, or first 10 flights, but it gets weakened til it gives up.

too bad the wing has a slight dihedral, that makes it challenging to put a carbon spar in. maybe someone will come up w/ an idea.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 12:33 AM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankera 53 View Post
Mine has two creases on one side of the wing.

Tim
YIKES!!!

They appeared out of nowhere right? kinda like the crop circles
Old May 19, 2010, 12:33 AM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
Here are two pictures,
They look smaller in the photo.

Is it something I should be worried about? I'm going to be running the recommended setup.

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is online now Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old May 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
your creases are different than the ones i mentioned. Yours are probably caused by rough handling, whereas mines are caused by stress loads while in flight. How weak did your wing get, i'm not sure.
Old May 19, 2010, 01:20 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
what were you doing when it folded?
I'm curious as well.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old May 19, 2010, 04:14 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
I know that the Rifle is a great looking plane and the price is very enticing. I'm sure that many more have bought it just seeing it. Even using stock power, those wing creases are a definate warning of imminent disaster waiting to happen. I'm thinking that there may need to be a few mods done to the wing to get it to survive long term.

After reading the report from Mike of Dallas and his experiance with the "Snap Stall" and the picture of what remained afterward in post 349, I wondered how the wing was going to hold up with what looked to be no spar. His pic showed the wing cracked right through the inside aileron cutout, a prime place for a stress failure.

Hopefully the team that designs the Rifle will see these reports and use them as constructive criticism to add a spar and improve the product.

BTW, cute pic with the dog Mike! Sorry about the rest of the story your pic tells.......

GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 19, 2010, 09:50 AM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
hmm maybe ill hold off until this wing failure issue is addressed....
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old May 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,586 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. I've been watching this thread to see how this plane works out but I'm not quite liking the early feedback.

I'll keep watching and see how things go for a while longer before deciding to buy...
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I'll hold off judgement until I hear more details. Not trying to be overly defensive here, but a simple "wing folded" statement with absolutely no details leaves me wondering. I'm sure there are some things this 'budget' if you will pylon racer shouldn't do. I could go out right now, put a reliable plane with a spar into a full speed dive and crank out, and possibly fold the wings. That doesn't necessarily mean the design is suspect. I'm not saying this is what occured in rip's case, just an example. Also, those wing creases are a bit curious too. I don't believe I've ever seen a wing fold halfway down its length. From my understanding, if it's going to fold, it will fold near the fuselage joint.

Anyone willing to buy a spare wing and do some stress tests?
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old May 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
STUART FLA
Joined Aug 2008
83 Posts
rifle

will hold out till wing do not fold
yes neu 1105 2.5y- 60esc- 4cell around 1500 -l with if i can find a 3.75x3.75 prop[
joethrasher is offline Find More Posts by joethrasher
Old May 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Mar 2009
82 Posts
Are many people running the stock set up on this? Much of what I see on the thread is how to change from the recommended set up. Ihave purchased the recommended power and set up, but am not finding many that run it. Is the stock Ammo power plant no good for this? or is it that everyone is using what they have in the box to use. Anyone know if we can use 4s on the stock Ammo motor? I would think the heat would be too much, but I don't know. I have 35c 3cell 1800 that I was planning on using. With a 4.1x4.1, I am getting in the mid 20's for amps up to 30. I would like to use a larger prop due to the altitude, but don't know if the motor will take it.
keehopper is offline Find More Posts by keehopper
Old May 19, 2010, 11:32 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,173 Posts
Hey! Im on my second and its been solid so far, minus the firewall which suffered impact.. Please note that the first one was lighter by a full 1/2 ounce, and had a more bendy wing.
I think with feedback, future productions will be adressed. Im gonna suggest a thin lamination of carbon/kevlar tape (the stringy kind) sandwiched on top the foam, on the bottom, 30% rearward. It can be spread super thin so no foam mods or spar needed. Worked for me on a home-made Q500 V tail pulling hard G at 170 mph.
I have more ideas for R&D. I think I should PM..
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; May 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
STUART FLA
Joined Aug 2008
83 Posts
if i kill 1 and by 1 more then i could have a vip-1 soaring usa for a little more and a rill pylon racer
joethrasher is offline Find More Posts by joethrasher
Old May 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,080 Posts
well I know Tim frequents these threads and looks at the feedback. I gotta say that im glad the manufacturers do check the feedback of their products and change them to fix the problems.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bought a house!
Old May 19, 2010, 11:50 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethrasher View Post
if i kill 1 and by 1 more then i could have a vip-1 soaring usa for a little more and a rill pylon racer
The VIP-1 RAWKS!!! There is no building whatsoever, and it's FAST!! Can be pushed to 150mph, some have gone faster but I don't know how.

The wing will not fold, fo sure!
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123