HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:14 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,904 Posts
Dude,

I've been bursting at the seams waiting to start churpin' about this thing! I was hoping someone would spot it at Nuremberg and post a pic or something so I could get started. A lot is the same, but a LOT is different too. I'll check with management before I start bragging too much, but I'll leave you with this one thing....

CARBON SPAR

Okay, two things....

DUAL AILERON SERVOS.

That'll have to do for now until I get the green light.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:52 PM
USA, IL, DeKalb
Joined Dec 2003
602 Posts
Patiently waiting for more tidbits......
chimchim is online now Find More Posts by chimchim
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Wow, FINALLY!

The Rifle was a great plane, but really suffered from its small wing. It's wing and design accounted for many lost models during unsuccessful launches.

As some of you know (at least Tim) I already did the dual aileron control on my original Rifle. I essentially copied the set up of a Sunracer, and did the carbon spar mod. It worked great on my Mega powered Rifle. However I quit flying it because launches and wing loading scared the piss out of me. nowhere near as forgiving as the bigger brother F5D planes.

This 1M is a GREAT idea, and I am surprised it took so long. If the price is as reasonable as the first Rifle, I am VERY interested.

Just curious, Tim, can you disclose some info for us? Motor mount Dia, more room int the fuse for batts? Stronger wing? I know you mentioned "CARBON SPAR" in your earlier post. Do you think the stock wing and plane could survive the 160-165mph range (of course, out of warranty....) or will we have to do surgery like the original Rifle?

Thanks for the hard work Tim, and everyone else at GP. Congrats on the new model! I will be on the waiting list!

-Justin
My post in the 1M Rifle thread that was linked to in the previous page of this thread
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:33 AM
United States, MA, Wayland
Joined Oct 2006
133 Posts
My Mage rifle is ready.. But just one more dumb qusetion???
Do I realy need to install the wing and tail skids? I have the wing mod, BEC and one of my own mods done.
Thanks
spames09 is online now Find More Posts by spames09
Last edited by spames09; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,081 Posts
Its up to you. The skids keep you from ruining your wing on landing.
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:32 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spames09 View Post
Will my Mage fifle is ready.. But just one more dumb qusetion???
Do I realy need to install the wing and tail skids? I have the wing mod, BEC and one of my own mods done.
Thanks
Hi spames09.

The wing skids seemed like a good idea back at the time and they do help a little, but they end up breaking off occasionally and after gluing them back on a few times it usually just ends up not being worth it. The purpose is to keep the tips from catching the ground causing a cartwheel and to keep the tail behind the wings.

I haven't used the wing skids in years.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:35 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
I never installed the skids on my Rifles and I land mostly on asphalt or concrete and occasionally on grass. I do believe they add stability on
grass fields but they are also one more point for failure if they break off. Just my opinion... And another point- You will hardly ever get a cartwheel while landing on hard runways. The Rifle can take them to a point but it will eventually weaken it specially at the narrow part of the fuselage just where it transitions to the vertical stab... If you have to land on grass do it at the
SLOWEST possible speed and wings LEVEL ! See Tim's description on his blog- ( that is the Rifle's flight manual) !
NeilRivera is offline Find More Posts by NeilRivera
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:21 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I can't remember where I read it, but this was recommended to put on the bottom of fuse's to help with protection. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ive-Film-Sheet

There might be different brands and I've never tried it myself, but the post hinted you just peeled it off and replace as neeeded.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:48 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I'm after some info on the 16/15/2, most websites advertise this motor at 4600kv, but Mega lists it at 4180kv, has anyone who has bought 1 recently done a no load kv test?

I'm not sure when (or if) a kv change came about, I've emailed Mega and asked, but I was wondering if most of the claimed amp draw figures are for 4600kv and not 4180kv.

Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:29 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,904 Posts
I haven't done any specific tests on any of my MEGAs, but I would go with what MEGA's web site says and what it says on the printed instruction/spec sheet that comes with the motor (both of which are 4180kV).

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:19 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tim.

So if I've got this right, yours is the 4180kv, and pulls somewhere between 38-45a in flight, about 55a static?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:31 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,904 Posts
I never said my Megas are 4180kV. I said....well, it's in the post.

I'll add that I’ve flown about four or five Megas over the last couple of years and based on calculations made from capacity used and flight time I’m coming up with around 47A (sometimes around 40A, sometimes closer to 50A, but on average, 47A most of the time) in flight. This, with 4.1 x 4.1 prop.

Static readings with a Watts Up meter I get about 63A initial reading off a charged battery.

I just went back and re looked at some of my data and with my newest batteries – Gens Ace 3S 1800mAh 65C “Pete” edition – I was getting consistently 48A – 49A (again, this is average, in-flight current for about a 2-minute flight based on calculations from flight time and recharge capacity).

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:29 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I never said my Megas are 4180kV. I said....well, it's in the post.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I haven't done any specific tests on any of my MEGAs, but I would go with what MEGA's web site says and what it says on the printed instruction/spec sheet that comes with the motor (both of which are 4180kV).
Tim
You're right, you didn't say yours was 4180kv, I presumed from the 1st post that the sheet you were referring to came with a 16/15/2 you actually bought, therefore your motor was 4180kv. I didn't mean to 'mis-quote' you or anything. Thanks for conformation of the figures.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:58 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,569 Posts
I know the 16/15/3 underwent some changes (stronger magnets, I think) at some point that reduced its Kv from 3000 down to like 2800. Chris knows more than I do about that. I wouldn't be surprised if the /2 got the same treatment since they're just the same chassis with different windings. The Kv differences line up fairly well with each other:

2*(4180/3) = 2787
2*(4600/3) = 3067

I would guess that the 4600Kv versions are older equipment, and the web pages advertising them haven't updated their information, or simply haven't moved their stock.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:43 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,904 Posts
Just because we'll be releasing the Rifle 1M doesn't mean I'm not still in love with the Rifle and have forgotten about it. Got the white base down and the fluorescent red on the fuse. Eventually they're going to be fluorescent red and black. And of course a shiny clear coat!

One has a spar (for my Mega 16/15/2) and the other doesn't (for 24-45-3790 Ammo).

More pics as I make progress.

Tim
RCG Plus Member