HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:09 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Touche i'm going to wait it out still. I have high hopes for this model...

I just found it on towerhobbies.com

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVZ8&P=7

$110 and a claimed 90+mph top speed. That sounds like a pretty good ticket. Like an upgraded and slightly sexier slipso (not to hate on the slipso, which I love). If you can build a slipso for $50, then its not all together unresonable considering the lack of building involved! Plus, hopefully it will be stronger. And with a fully developed airfoil might take "pylon turns" better.

My next question, besides video, is can it fit a 28mm motor on the stock mount? If so, I think you will get a fair amount more interest from the "high-performance" community, as you can pack in a lot more efficient power.

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:01 AM
Finland
Joined Apr 2007
212 Posts
That looks like what S400 pylon was before Sergey´s Stinger came out. Simprop Raz Faz...
Pre-historic...Why not spend some more for a decent molded and go much faster...

TP.
Tuomas P. is offline Find More Posts by Tuomas P.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:38 AM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
The manual for the recommended ammo motor shows it as having 16 and 19mm mounting holes. So hopefully the nose is large enough diameter to fit 28mm motors. I think they shot themselves in the foot if that isn't the case. For $110 I'll try one out as long as I don't have to buy an overpriced ammo motor for it.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:59 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Geez, this is a whole lot of negativity for no reason. What gives? Would you care to explain all of your personal bad experiences with Electrifly or this model in general to justify the negativity?

Heres a thought to everyone. I will likely not be getting this model, unless the can work out a deal where I get it for free but im certainly not going to judge its strength before ANYONE gets their hands on it! It seems as though many are jumping to conclusions...

Tim, will we get a chance to see any video?
Hi thekid.

We have two models ready to go for video--the one Frank Noll already flew a few times down at Florida Jets and the one I assembled for the manual. It's just a matter of suitable weather now--they need sunny skies for one. They're forecasting rain and clouds for today, but hopefully next week. Then the video will appear ASAP--I'm guessing a week or two. I'll chime in when we get footage shot though so you know when to expect it.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
The manual for the recommended ammo motor shows it as having 16 and 19mm mounting holes. So hopefully the nose is large enough diameter to fit 28mm motors. I think they shot themselves in the foot if that isn't the case. For $110 I'll try one out as long as I don't have to buy an overpriced ammo motor for it.
Well, that stings a little, but tell you what, I have the day off work today (working on my own model), but I'll shoot in and see if there is any room to squeeze in a 28mm (it's going to be real tight). I'll post later today.

I forgot what our timed radar gun speeds were--80-something. I'll look in the logbook and post that too. Whatever they were it was average passes both directions straight-and-level.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:42 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
One down-side I found, at first blush at least, is with the spinner. I would guess the spinner is made to fit the 24mm Ammo motors, which would mean that the spinner is made to fit a 3mm motor shaft. That would be one small down-side, as most 28mm motors have 3.2mm shafts

KRProton, can you confirm for us whether the spinner with have multiple collets, etc. to fit different sized motor shafts?

Thanks
Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:41 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Hey "kid," I'll have to get back to you on the spinner. I do know that the first prototype we tested was before we designed the included spinner. On that one we used a TruTurn spinner that fit fine. The shaft on our motors is 3.0mm.

For those of you inquiring about a 28mm motor, well here ya go!!! I have to say, this is by no means an endorsement of installing a larger motor. I'd be concerned about the weight for one--it may fly faster, but it'll land even faster than it already does! Then there's flying time. Finally, it may displace the battery some too. Of course, you're voiding your warranty by using an oversize motor.

Anyway, the diameter of the mount and holes fits the 28mm dia. Ammo. The only other concern I would have is if there is a larger fillet inside the firewall/mount. But it fit quite easily in the one pictured. (Ignore the damage--poor hand-launch from an assistant).

And oh yea, I just looked in one of our log books; some radar gun readings of 89mph up wind and 92mph down wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:09 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
Tim, thanks for coming on here with some background information. I for one think this is a good looking plane and will be a cheap thrill. I am not serious about speed but want a fun plane on the side (my big IMAC planes get more of my hobby dollars but I like to experience other aspects of the hobby). This one fits the bill.

Do you have an estimated street price for this one?
BTerry is online now Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:56 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Hello BTerry.

I think you described this plane perfectly--and it's the same for me--cheap thrills even though my primary interests lie elsewhere. If you check out the Tower Hobbies site they have some more info there including the price. Not sure why the manual isn't available yet for download yet--should be--it's been done for a while now. I'll check into this when I get back to work on Monday. Looking through the manual should answer lots of questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,785 Posts
KR , send me one , ill build it and do a mini review , we have good weather here , gonna be 80 on Monday , im out of work , so plenty of time to build/fly......Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:13 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Hi Dennis.

Thanks for the offer, but right now I don't have one to send you. We've assembled and tested all of the prototypes and now we're waiting for the production shipment which is in transit. This will be the lot from which review models are sent. Even if they were available, I'm not the one who sends out models for review. I just work in R&D. We have a whole other marketing dept. with people who take care of that. Would that I could.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:52 AM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
Well that's good. Hopefully the spinner is close enough to standard at 30mm so others can be used? Assuming it's reasonably built it seems like it could be a decent choice. I'm actually surprised it's priced so low.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grobbins666 View Post
Can't wait to see one break
Don't be alarmed everyone. what he meant was that he can't wait to see one break 100 mph.. it was a typo ofcourse.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Old Mar 13, 2010, 04:55 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
Tim, if you make it back here, can you confirm the construction of the wing? It says "all composite" and I assume that refers to the wing as well. If this one is indeed all composite it should hold up very well. Also I saw the price on Tower's site (and subsequently on TheKid's post). Thanks for the info.

I think the problem with the Siren was the balsa ribs at the wing outboard sites weren't up to the task of transferring the flight loads at very fast speeds. The fuse/tail as I recall were very well designed.
BTerry is online now Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:07 PM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballfever View Post
Don't be alarmed everyone. what he meant was that he can't wait to see one break 100 mph.. it was a typo ofcourse.
Yes.... follow the yellow brick road
grobbins666 is offline Find More Posts by grobbins666