SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:12 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
No problem on the picture. The spinner on the rifle is pretty good. Mine did an impression of a bunker buster today and penetrated the ground about 4". Still looks fine minus the dirt.
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
Yeah, I did something similar with an MPJet spinner on a scratchbuilt balsa plane very similar to the Rifle (and got it on video ). It ended up just a tiny bit off-balance because something got twisted or warped a bit, but it's still fine for low-RPM applications. Running it up to like 30k RPM with no other load is about what it takes to get me nervous. I reckon a vibrated a couple fillings loose just holding the motor in my hand
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2011
36 Posts
@pylot2b,

Sorry man, I hate to hear those things when it's outside one's control.
But great pictures, it seems pylons have a tendency to bury themselves deeply. The good news, replacement wings and fuse are available, bad news is it costs about the whole plane. Still, when we think about a $100 is not horrible for the fun we have with these birds, we just need them not to fall out of the sky on their own.

May I ask what receiver it was?
MadBoris is offline Find More Posts by MadBoris
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Funny how the replacement parts cost about as much as a kit would. I was using a Spektrum 6110e rx. I know it's not considered a full range rx but I was flying it well within its range. Might go the full range route the next time. I think I was just shot down by a brown out. First one I have had in 2 years.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:30 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Been a bad week for Rifles! Lost mine today after a brownout. First brownout I have had with a spektrum rx. I finally got my elevator servo fixed. About 2 minutes into the flight she became unresponsive in a turn and nosed straight into the ground like a lawn dart. It was not a battery cutoff problem. I was flying around on about a 1/4 throttle on a 2s setup. So the amp draw was pretty low.

Pretty funny but yet very distrurbing. I am so glad no one was around. I won't fly this plane or my evader if there is even one person around at the school we fly at. About the only thing usable is the horz. stab, maybe the rx, and the servos and hardware.

Got some pics of the carnage. So mad this happened. I was getting comfortable with it finally. Don't know how you guys fly it on 3s!! Too much for my nerves.
Hey pylot2b, sorry about your crash. I feel really bad for you. Hey, at least you know it wasn't "dumb thumbs" and wasn't your fault. Don't know if that's good or bad, but to me I feel better when whatever happened isn't my fault.

The more I fly my Rifles after I lost my one the other day the worse I feel because I feel so in control and confident when flying them which contraticts the stupidity of why I lost the one(dumb mistake taking my eyes off it - or at least not slowing and bringing it in close before doing so).

I hope you get another one.

Best of luck.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:32 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Funny how the replacement parts cost about as much as a kit would. I was using a Spektrum 6110e rx. I know it's not considered a full range rx but I was flying it well within its range. Might go the full range route the next time. I think I was just shot down by a brown out. First one I have had in 2 years.
I think I remember when we first released the Rifle and we were out of stock right away guys were making them from replacement parts which, if memory serves, added up to the same or slightly less than the kit. I guess they fixed that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
Yeah, I did something similar with an MPJet spinner on a scratchbuilt balsa plane very similar to the Rifle (and got it on video ). It ended up just a tiny bit off-balance because something got twisted or warped a bit, but it's still fine for low-RPM applications. Running it up to like 30k RPM with no other load is about what it takes to get me nervous. I reckon a vibrated a couple fillings loose just holding the motor in my hand
I was getting ready to post that for rpms approaching 38,000 (as with my MEGA 16/15/2, APC 4.1 x 4.1) you need to go with the MPJet. I was having strange imbalance problems with this setup which went away now that I am using the MPJet. It's a different design than the GP Rifle spinner in that it's "stubbier," but also lighter. Further, the cone is shorter because the back plate comes out farther and finally, the screw that holds on the cone is very short because the collet comes almost all the way out to the top of the cone. This adds stability which the longer, spindly screw of the GP spinner bolt just can't hold.

With my GP spinner, I could run it up without the cone no problem, but when I bolted on the cone I would get that vibration most of the time. I spend hours matching collets to back plates to cones to try to get the vibration to go away, but sometimes it would just reappear. Got several flights on the MPJet spinner now with no problems.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
Yeah, the MPJets are awesome. Fourteen bucks a pop last I checked, but I think they're worth it when you're running Arcs/MEGAs that could be permanently screwed up if the spinner develops some tiny imbalance.

I got both of mine from a friend, and I have yet to purchase a motor that's worth more than one of them
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:18 AM
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for your help on the Rifle. I will get another one before it's over with. I really like the 2s setup. In my estimate it is faster then my evader which is on 4s. Might be the size difference. The whistling noise is hard to beat and its so quiet. I am going to clean out the motor and see if it is still usable. The fuselage absorbed the impact. The esc and battery are toast.

I think the next one will be flown exclusively at the auxillary landing field for the navy that we have access to in Virginia Beach if you are an AMA member. Nothing like having a 8,000' runway at your disposal to fly rc planes.

Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Hey pylot2b, sorry about your crash. I feel really bad for you. Hey, at least you know it wasn't "dumb thumbs" and wasn't your fault. Don't know if that's good or bad, but to me I feel better when whatever happened isn't my fault.

The more I fly my Rifles after I lost my one the other day the worse I feel because I feel so in control and confident when flying them which contraticts the stupidity of why I lost the one(dumb mistake taking my eyes off it - or at least not slowing and bringing it in close before doing so).

I hope you get another one.

Best of luck.

Tim
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:58 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
Quote:
Nothing like having a 8,000' runway at your disposal to fly rc planes.
I read that and finally figured out the answer to the age-old question: How fast is too fast with these little pylon planes?

The answer is simple. When your stall speed is so high that you cannot land the plane within your range of vision, the plane is too fast or has too much power (read: weight) in it .... We're at the point now where the only limiting factor on power is the physical space available in the fuse, and at some point I figure the plane will have to start its glide path at one end of the pilot's visual range, and land at the opposite end.

This is only partially a joke; I know from watching a moderately-powered Sokol trying to land (heading up a hill) that these things eat up a ton of space due to the efficiency of the airframe and the inherently high wing loading....

Hmmm.....
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:42 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
TP16,

I was thinking yesterday precisely about what you just posted about the range of vision. That's why you almost always end up landing long (unless there is at least a 7 - 10mph head wind)--you have to position the downwind turn so far out so as to not position the touchdown so far past yourself you can't detect the Rifle's speed on landing. What helps me is keeping the approach rather low so you don't have to bleed off much altitude either. What REALLY helps is using a timer to make sure you have a good minute of power left in your battery so you can comfortably, confidently make two, three, more approaches until you get one you like.

As far as the question: "How fast is to fast?" For me, it's the ability to "manage" the flight. A while ago I was contimplating a setup like what jocke had with a Plettenberg Moskito 2 at 1000W, but with my MEGA at around 600 - 700W (depending on which battery I use), I have my hands full managing the flight--keeping the Rifle in my control putting it where I want. When it's so fast it's kind of like a bouncy superball inside a small box limited to how far you can see because it gets to the boundaries so quickly. It's like it's bouncing around so quickly and you have to keep it under control.

Landing isn't much of a problem for me, but I do have many flights on several Rifles so repitition builds confidence not to mention hones your skills (oops, didn't intend to sound like I'm bragging).

See ya.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:49 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Several good flights yesterday evening; my 2S Rifle, my "jalopy" Rifle (that one just won't die!), my bone-stock Rifle with ARC 2-turn, and my #4 neon red-and-metallic blue one. I'm really liking the "up elevator, right aileron" mix to a switch that automatically turns itself off. I'll post some vids later.

After my flying I went back to look for my MEGA motor I lost when my neon red-and-metallic blue Rifle #5 crashed when I lost sight of it (documented a page or so back). I looked and looked and looked for about an hour. Then, as it always happens, when walking back to my van after giving up I looked down to my left and there it was. So it happened on Tuesday I think. Got rained on at least once. But I cleaned it up, straightened out the wires and ran it with a prop last night. Um, sounds great! Looking at the condition of the spinner you would think the shaft would have been bent, but it runs up smooth as silk. The can has a very slight dent, but I don't that affects it, so I think I got my motor back.

Crazy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
Canada, NS, Bedford
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
Wow lots going on in the rifle forum.

Sorry to hear about the crash pylot2b. It was really bad luck to lose the model because due to a brown out.

Congratulations on the maiden MikeRx! I am impressed at your report of the Rifle flying well in very strong winds. I am sure you must have had the field all to your self.

And finely hooray to for finding your motor Tim. But finding it is one thing, having it in good working order after a huge crash and spending 4 days out in a field in the weather is pretty impressive.

Seems the Rifle gods are fickle this week.
Misunderestim8 is offline Find More Posts by Misunderestim8
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
5s!

Well I did a runup on 5s, 4.2x4", and the eflight 2700kv..
All was well up to about 33k when a heavy vibration developed. Promising because amps where still well under 30 and I had a lot of stick left.
I hooked up 4s and same thing. On 3s it is fine running really smooth at 28k and a measley 17a.
On 4s and 4.75x5.5 I got to 28k when the vibes hit short of full stick.
Is this a firewall thing? I'm not using spinner, but rather the eflight 3.2mm cone adaptor. I can't detect a hint of vibes untill it all of a sudden hits. I'm gonna contemplate Tim's firewall mod.
No worries.. I'm going flying in the 25-30 winds on 3s. That 5.5 pitch prop makes for some silly fast downwind passes.
Also I'm doing max elevator testing.. Using as much throw at max speed as I can get without inducing flick-spin.
(Way up high at first)
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:04 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
MikeRx,

I don't think the stock firewall is contributing to any vibration problem. It's really strange though. My "jalopy" Rifle I flew much of last summer with MEGA 16/15/2, APC 4.1 x 4.1 turns near 40,000rpm (closer to 39,000 or 38,000). I never balanced a single prop and have at least 30 flights on that rig. Never a HINT of vibration problems. But with my newer Rifles, sometimes I could spin it up full-throttle, sometimes not. I spent lots of time matching the spinner collet to the back plate to the cone to cancel out any vibration, but sometimes it would still happen (balancing props too).

The firewall problem in my one Rifle was because I enlarged the middle hole too much to clear the little "boss" that protrudes from the MEGA about 1/64". But I didn't do this in my jalopy Rifle and never had a problem.

But I think the MPJet spinner has solved it all.

Whatever spinner you use, you need to get it on the motor shaft as far as possible, thus giving it less "leverage" on the motor shaft.

The problem with the GP spinner is the ring around the middle of the back plate where the collet goes in. The diameter of this ring is large and interferes with the inner motor mount screws. If you use only the outer two motor mount screws they will clear the ring around the back plate and you can get the spinner on farther.

But I'll be ordering a few more MPJet spinners for spares for my high-rpm Rifles.

Tim
RCG Plus Member