HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
yep that one.love the mega's.tomorrow i am going to maider my stryker i call the freak,it has a mega 22/30/2 running a 4000 4s 40c batt,weighs 3.75lbs.wont be as fast as the hotrod but should be fast.also on my rifle i used a 6x4 prop cut down to a 4x4 and balanced,worked awsome.thx for all your help and research,you really made this possible
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:40 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
went to fly today,sun was out but the wind picked up and made it tough.just learning on my rifle so didn't fly it.one of my buddies at the field picked up a rifle bout the same timer i did so we are waiting for a good day to take them both out(mine is faster with the mega but he's a better pilot).anyhow was looking and he made a few changes.mounted the servo in the fuse about halfway back.just cut a hole for servo and mounted so the shaft was outside,then ran a rod from the servo to the elevator,worked well.also he mounted a servo for each aileron,just mounted them on the wing like a foamy.i'm okay with my servos and such for now but what i did like was he made landing gear for his,just bent wire and used a lot of duct tape.i like the idea of landing gear so going to my buddies shop this weekend to fab up a set.thinking of a flat piece of alum bent to shape and curved to fit the bottom of the fuse,then will reinforce the area with fiberglass and carbon.not sure if i'm going to make it permanant or removable,probably removeable.once i'm done will post pics.should make landing a whole lot easier and less stressful
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,233 Posts
Sounds very very very draggy, both the landing gear and the external servos.

It'd be entertaining, but will seriously kill your speed, but please video it landing you may need to install disk brakes to slow down

Dont wanna end up with a scaled down AT40 with a 16-15-2 in the front

The only reason speed400's go fast on very little power is that there is not much too them, and what little airframe there is, is slippery.

Im not trying to crush your idea, sorry if it sounds like it,

If you do want to do it though id suggest dropping to 2S and running a larger prop, say a 5x5, or see if it'll take a 6x4 prop on 2S (Keep the amps below 60). You can save some weight this way, lower the pitch speed and create more thrust to over come the added drag.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Mar 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:37 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
I have to agree. All that drag defeats the whole purpose of the pylon design...to be slippery. And just what untill the grass catches a wheel...I doubt it will be pretty. That level of drag created just may make the plane very unstable also.

But, just as long as you are enjoying yourself, that's what counts

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
ya was thinking about the drag thing.not going to change any servos,those are working fine where they are.am going to see how i can make some small thin gear tho.will machine my own wheels and figure out a mounting system.as for drag,after the other day i think maybe a little drag for now might be a good thing lol.looking at the gear on the viper and thinking something like that
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:54 AM
Angry Flyer!
washington state
Joined Oct 2008
382 Posts
Nice flying with you that day, Oly. You guys make my Funjet look like a trainer!

There will be calm days at some point and we have to get back out there and do some racing. How cool would it be to see a Rifle, Stryker, Funjet, mini Mustang and Pogo out there doing laps?!
jriley1974 is offline Find More Posts by jriley1974
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_rcer View Post
ya was thinking about the drag thing.not going to change any servos,those are working fine where they are.am going to see how i can make some small thin gear tho.will machine my own wheels and figure out a mounting system.as for drag,after the other day i think maybe a little drag for now might be a good thing lol.looking at the gear on the viper and thinking something like that
The other thing you may want to consider is...how are you going to counter the toruqe with no rudder if you are expecting to take off from the ground? Or is the gear just for landing? If you are in fact thinking of taking off from the ground without a rudder.....get it on video

Just a thought.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
hiyas john,ya we should have some fun with the speed toys.i just found another plane also,not a speed demon tho.it's an old mega usa cermark freedom 3d,will pick it up sun.and thx flyextreme,basically used for landing,i have no probs hand launching it.my buddy rog's his takeoffs with it and has no probs.this little hotrod sure comes in hot lol
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_rcer View Post
thx flyextreme,basically used for landing,i have no probs hand launching it.my buddy rog's his takeoffs with it and has no probs.this little hotrod sure comes in hot lol
I'm surprised about it rog's without a rudder, but glad it's working.

Bill
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:14 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,706 Posts
Nothing really new here, just some pics of my latest Rifle. Got my "weapon of choice" (another MEGA 16/15/2, Hyperion 1900mAh 45C, T-Bird 54, 4.1 x 4.1 prop). Weighs 21.5 oz. The wing for this one has has three spars. Haven't run it yet. I'll make the first few trim flights with my 1800mAh 35C Hyperion.
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:24 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,005 Posts
Just saw one of these rifles hangin from the ceiling at the LHS, been checking out this thread on and off as well. Man that plane is small, how the heck you guy's keep up with this little plane at high speed. I don't know if my eyesight is up to it. I guess you would have to keep it really close.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:32 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Man that plane is small, how the heck you guy's keep up with this little plane at high speed. I don't know if my eyesight is up to it. I guess you would have to keep it really close.
My eyesight is fine, but thought I had decided on something bigger (40"SR), then thought even that was smaller than I cared to try and keep my eye on, so my pylon is 53", which is plenty small enough for me. Maybe I just don't trust my eyes as much as I used to. Or it may just be I am pushing for 200mph. Plus, the smaller the plane, the faster it looks like it's going.

If you start out a little slower and grow into it, it's not so bad

Bill
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Just saw one of these rifles hangin from the ceiling at the LHS, been checking out this thread on and off as well. Man that plane is small, how the heck you guy's keep up with this little plane at high speed. I don't know if my eyesight is up to it. I guess you would have to keep it really close.
this plane takes some SERIOUS concentration,when the plane is coming at you or away,the thing almost goes invisible,like stealth mode lol.just gotta stay on your toes and it's not bad.nice looking build there tim,and if you or anyone else is interested,a guy has 2 16/15/2 motors on rcg classifieds for 55 each or 100 for both
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413979
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tony,

it’s not only a matter of vision—just seeing the model. You also need to learn how to fly something like this (extremely fast, small). This takes time to gradually develop all the skills necessary—learning how the model responds, setting it up to respond according to your preferences (C.G., throws, trim), developing your reaction time, and very importantly—confidence—the confidence to launch it, stomp on the throttle and impose your will. All this takes a gradual build up. When I first flew the Rifle I wasn’t too worried because I didn’t know what was in store. As I continued to fly early prototypes I got pretty good with it (or so I thought at the time), but used full-throttle only occasionally in bursts. Later, when I decided to do more wing testing and motor testing I was definitely apprehensive about the thought of having to fly the Rifle WOT the entire flight—I mean I was really worried. But I got used to it and became a pro pretty quickly. Back then, I never thought of the concept of flying something like this WOT the entire flight, but it’s the only way I fly anymore—full-throttle down the straightaway and full-throttle during the turnaround. Later, I learned to fly the Rifle with faster and faster setups; first with the recommended motor (24-33-3180 AMMO—300W, 100-ish mph), then with an ARC 28-35-2.5, then with an ARC 28-35-2 (350W, 140-ish mph depending on the battery), and later, with my MEGA 16/15/2 (600W, 160—170-ish mph).

You also have to get comfortable relying on what the model was doing last—meaning, on the occasions that you DO lose orientation, you have to know and rely on what the model was doing when you were last locked-on. Don’t go moving the sticks trying to regain control. For example, if you were top-side up coming out of a dive, and you suddenly “lose it,” you have to remember that you were “top-side up coming out of a dive” and just gently apply up elevator same as you normally would have.

When flying SUPER FAST setups, another thing you have to do is remember to turn around in time. Often, I am having so much fun flying the Rifle and simply get mesmerized watching it fly past, but by the time I remember “oh yea, I’m flying this thing better turn it around,” it’s WAY OUT. So it takes concentration and focus too.

As much of a “charge” as I get out of flying my “super-fast” Rifle at 600+ Watts, flying a lighter-weight setup at around 350W is the perfect balance between speed and comfort. This is where I think the Rifle is “happiest.”

Don’t let me scare you. If you’ve been watching videos of the Rifle it always looks much smaller and farther away than it actually is in person.

What you need to do is just start with a stock setup that is nice and light and not “stupid” fast. You can even go 2S if you want. On 2S or with a stock setup (24-33-3180, 4.75 x 4.75 or 4.5 x 4.1) the Rifle really is a thrill and a joy to fly. Also, on stock setups that aren’t extremely fast, you can turn the Rifle hard and fast making it easier to keep in close. With faster setups using heavier batteries, you have to reinforce the wing and fly larger (farther away!) so as not to overstress the wing.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,299 Posts
yep get comfortable first,me,i just go for the biggest and baddest motor right off the bat and figgure it out from there,but then i do tend to overdo things just a wee bit lol