SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:30 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
From experience in testing and flown alot of electric models, fast, slow, giant, scale, F5B and so on.... I realy like the Rifle, cant say realy why, i like the looks, the price, how it flyes, and GP manual and included parts.

Not often i repare a plane from a crash like mine, but i have actually already started to repare my Rifle, its just to much fun, i want to fly it

Kudos to GP and all involved, for a great little model!
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, CO
Joined Aug 2008
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Why, I’m selling one of my bigger 50cc airplanes to fund a Sunracer III, but I guess I won’t be buying it from Esprit Model.
Bob at Soaring USA will get you all setup. That's were I got my SR VIII.
smarks is offline Find More Posts by smarks
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:14 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
I dont think Esprit models was trying to talk bad about the Rifle or the company, at least this is the way Ive see it from the way he writes.

My friend has a rifle, he is happy about the looks of the Riflee, but hes going to fly the plane at 350-400 watts, and that is what it is constructed for.

I have many pylons, from Sokol, Escape, Turn left, VIPER F5D , and I can also agree, the quality of the rifle is really a long way to any of these I have, and Im not talking bad here of anything. I think its ok to say if a model is of bad quality, i dont see anything wrong in that..

I dont have anything against pushing the rifle to its edge, I do that with many planes, but you have to know its limitation...

What esprit models was trying say (at least what I think), was that there are many other planes, I would say the most speed 400 pylons I have seen, that are better suited for high speeds..Im not trying to protect anyone here, but I think we can talk freely about how the rifle is and not is...

I think a problem with tha Rifle is: it looks cool and fast, and this makes most people think its a "real" 400 speed pylon, but its not, its a fun sport pylon, so anything over 400 watts is asking for trouble, if you want more speed, you cam reinforce, like others do, thats a good thing, but better would be to buy a speed 400 pylon... I mean many here have very expensive setups, so It cant be about the money.. maybee for the looks, ok, I can accept it..

Im sorry if I have said something that dont belong here, but I think my diskussion is ok here, when I see so many people pushing an airframe to just explode in the air, and YES its up to everyone to to what they want, I dont say anything about that.. But to be honest, if you read the whole thread from begining, you will see there are many broken wings so far, and many people pissed of the quality,, so dont blame others you are just informing that (maybee) it can be better for speed and safety, there are many better options, and they dont have to be much more expensive..

Again, I say, I love the Rifle for it looks, I am glad I didnt buy it, but this was becasue Ive read all the angry people her in this thread, my friend is going to maiden his soon, he isnt that glad either, now that he knows the wing is weak, so we have reinforced it..

I hope it will go Ok for him..

Again, sorry if any rifleowner gets upset, this wasnt my intention at all, if so I am truly sorry.. enjoy your fast ships, its fun..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:18 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
One can compare it to the FunJet and UltraJet, good price, cool looks, great manual/ packing and included options. Very popular, and there are many crasy setups out there, even with turbine power hehe. One can ask why !? Its just a simple foam plane, there are alot of better alternatives, still pilots get the FunJet and overpower it to and over its limits. Me and my friend put our new "Super Bullit" project aside, so we could work on the FunJets and Rifles instead.
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Top model stinger? Hardly.

The rifle has its place, sure its not a F5D plane, but it doesnt have an F5d price either. In fact its a 1/3rd the price ( as a decent f5d-400 ) for much more than 1/3rd the speed

Rifle will leave a stinger for dead, and the stinger aint exactly high qaulity. Ive had a few stingers, the wing fell off one. The fuse is made of rubbish glass and the wing incidence angles are on the turps. Ive also had a fuse with a twisted tail.....

Wanna troll, go elsewhere.
No trolling...I have been following this thread and a few other new products for a long time to see how it panned out. The Stinger isn't even glass, I suppose the only comparison was "price", and "sport level". I was still considering the Rifle for something to just keep in the car for a quick fix....even with some of the short commings it has.

When I actually took a Rifle out of the box and inspected the parts, I was surprised and disappointed that the pictures made it look much nicer than it actually is, and that's what I posted...my observation/opinion.

If you don't like it, ignore it.

Peace-out, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks View Post
Bob at Soaring USA will get you all setup. That's were I got my SR VIII.
Yes, my intuition, as well as several sources directly, give me the impression that they are well-respected.
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Yes, my intuition, as well as several sources directly, give me the impression that they are well-respected.
Well respected world wide.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
Flew my Rifle for the first time today. IMHO, it a good bargain for anyone just looking to get a speed rush at an economical price. My first impression was this thing is just fast enough for me to enjoy. With the Ammo 4040 kv motor at 540 watts, the Rifle keeps your attention and leaves you with a smile when the flight is done. To me, the Rifle is definitely a KEEPER, and I am seriously considering a second one just to keep the thrill going.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantagepoint View Post
Flew my Rifle for the first time today. IMHO, it a good bargain for anyone just looking to get a speed rush at an economical price. My first impression was this thing is just fast enough for me to enjoy. With the Ammo 4040 kv motor at 540 watts, the Rifle keeps your attention and leaves you with a smile when the flight is done. To me, the Rifle is definitely a KEEPER, and I am seriously considering a second one just to keep the thrill going.
Your previous post said 418 watts. Now you're at 540 watts? From that motor? What prop did you put on it? You sure you're measuring that correctly? On 3s you'd be over 50 amps.

Pretty sure 540 watts from 2.4 oz motor = complete melt down...

I have the Ammo 24-33-3500 and I know how far I can push that. I don't think you could get anywhere near 540 watts out of yours... Are you sure you are running the 24-33-4040 motor? Or do you have one of the bigger ones?

Sorry but your numbers are not sounding right...

Yes you can run the 24-33-4040 on that plane but getting 540 watts out of it is another thing...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
I was pretty surprised by the numbers myself considering that my initial test run on a 3s 25c battery pack did show much less than what I posted today. But unless my extreme Power Analyzer is malfunctioning, (and it could have), that's what it read today on a freshly charged 3s 30c battery pack. I will get the minor damage repaired and have another go this week. I will post the number. In any event, the plane flew extremely well and the speed was more than respectable. Also, I am concerned that if the watt numbers are correct, the motor is probably not going to last very long.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I'm just looking for a plane to be fast enough to annoy all the grumpy, know-it-alls at my club. This plane will definitely do that.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
Either the Rifle or the Hobby Lobby Dago Red/VooDoo will definitely meet your speed requirements.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:08 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
I was pretty surprised by the numbers myself considering that my initial test run on a 3s 25c battery pack did show much less than what I posted today. But unless my extreme Power Analyzer is malfunctioning, (and it could have), that's what it read today on a freshly charged 3s 30c battery pack. I will get the minor damage repaired and have another go this week. I will post the number. In any event, the plane flew extremely well and the speed was more than respectable. Also, I am concerned that if the watt numbers are correct, the motor is probably not going to last very long.
How hot is that motor on landing?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,814 Posts
Quote:
Yea, you're definitely gonna smoke that motor--especially if you don't back off the throttle a lot of the time. But I'm glad you seem to be having fun. I gotta question those numbers too, but what the heck. We get around 300W on the 3180kV motor, so I guess I wouldn't be too suprised with around 400-ish with a 4.75 x 4.75 on your 4040kV, but 540 is really up there. But again, that's definitely too much for that little motor. Hey, have fun.
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:27 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Yep, that motor is meant for a 200-300W input setup at best. Pumping 500+W in is no problem for that heavy pack, but most of that extra power is just wasted as heat (surprised it hasn't smoked yet honestly). If you really want an impressive 500W setup, you should get a Neu 1110 or something else that's meant for that. You'll get way more speed and flight time, and it will last a very long time... besides, power system melt downs can be downright dangerous with any 100mph+ moldie, whether it's an avionik or a rifle. IMHO not worth the risk to go out in a blaze of glory like that. If you're going to go for broke, at least use an Rx pack.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite