HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2010, 02:10 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
Discussion
New Electrifly Rifle - All Composite "Sport Pylon" racer/mini hotliner?

I noticed this sleek little all-composite bullet on the Electrifly website tonight: http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1805.html

Any comments? This looks like a fun plane. 31" ws, 28" long, 17 oz, 112 sq in, for ~150 watts (and up).

No idea on the price yet...

BTerry is online now Find More Posts by BTerry
Last edited by BTerry; Mar 06, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:56 AM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
860 Posts
Probably breaks at a 100mph
grobbins666 is offline Find More Posts by grobbins666
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:27 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
Nose looks really long. You may have trouble balancing it.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:21 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,059 Posts
oh yea!... mini racer for the masses! I wouldnt worry about balance issues, just get close to the rimfire motor and battery weight with your chosen setup
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Mar 06, 2010, 02:30 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,255 Posts
The big question????????..........how much??????
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:07 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
471 Posts
The guy out at Florida Jets, today that flew the Evader demo, he had one at his table, he thinks they may go for around $120. He never flew it at the event, because it was a "jet only" event.
phoneguy is offline Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:27 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
I think it looks like a cute entry plane that could be good for some cheap thrills. If it goes for 100-120 dollars I think it could be a good option assuming its strong enough to attain speeds in the 115mph range. If its more expensive then this ($150) then I don't think it will be a better option then the Escape based on size and quality.

The nose moment does look long, but I think it'll be doable. Most models require the battery forward to balance right, but with this you may not need to have the battery way forward
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:26 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,371 Posts
Looks neat. Too bad I swore to never buy anything from Electrifly again. Hope that I'm wrong, but I predict a thread full of quality issues and poor customer service.

What do you think the tail skid is for? Maybe to keep it straight after touchdown? Are those skids on the wing tips too? Wouldn't that make it easier to catch a wing tip on landing?
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Mar 07, 2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 06:49 PM
Back in the game
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2006
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post

What do you think the tail skid is for? Maybe to keep it straight after touchdown? Are those skids on the wing tips too? Wouldn't that make it easier to catch a wing tip on landing?

I think it's a skeg to slow the plane on touch down.. the TD guys use it to hit the mark, but i have seen it on the nose, not the tail
flying evader is offline Find More Posts by flying evader
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:14 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,276 Posts
Looks to me like a skid skeg that would alter the angle of attack while landing.

Come in a bit nose high to slow things down and when close enough it would push the nose down, killing lift. It would keep the plane on the ground after that.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:45 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,255 Posts
I'm with GP on this one......it is an Electrifly ARF....it didn't come from Europe, K&A or Matney or was scratch built. In my experience with ARF's "many" not all have to be nearly rebuilt and modified to bring them up to par. I've seen to many firewalls fly out and wings and tails fly off in my time! I would like to get one in my paws to look at though. Any thing over 110 bucks and I'm not interested. I can build Slipso's all day for 25 bucks and I know they can take 120+.......
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:28 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,376 Posts
Aw geese, I'm a little leery of posting after taking somewhat of a beating over on the Evader thread (EDF Jets), but I can't resist because this one is another one of my "pets." I work in the R&D department at Hobbico and coincidentally, did the in-house development on the Rifle the same time as the Evader. Before marketing settled on an official name, I called it the "Widowmaker." Both of these little hot-rods are dear to my heart (as is anything I work on).

The wing skids keep the tips from digging on landing and the tail skid keeps the tail behind the nose so she won't pinwheel or cartwheel.

The nose is long so it will C.G. properly--shouldn't take any weight to balance. The nose was extended from earlier prototypes that required lead. Coincidentally, that just leaves more room for the battery and ESC (you should be able to view the manual on line).

Just like "thekid" said, "a cute entry plane for cheap thrills."

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:12 PM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
860 Posts
Can't wait to see one break
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:28 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grobbins666 View Post
Can't wait to see one break
Geez, this is a whole lot of negativity for no reason. What gives? Would you care to explain all of your personal bad experiences with Electrifly or this model in general to justify the negativity?

Heres a thought to everyone. I will likely not be getting this model, unless the can work out a deal where I get it for free but im certainly not going to judge its strength before ANYONE gets their hands on it! It seems as though many are jumping to conclusions...

Tim, will we get a chance to see any video?
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:04 AM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Looks neat. Too bad I swore to never buy anything from Electrifly again. Hope that I'm wrong, but I predict a thread full of quality issues and poor customer service.
My experiences with hobbico is on par