HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
Discussion
beginner from scratch - What to buy? (YANT - Yet Another Noob Thread)

Hi,
It has been long time since I have started thinking of purchasing a RC (Plane or Heli).
Now that I get some money, I would like to start realizing that project. Howver I have not any clue on where to start.
Or to be more precise, I know I get to spend some time on a Simulator first, then buy small real plane (Super Cub), then increase the difficulty.

So, if I am correct, I would like to know what simulator I should purchase? I expect that simulator to precise my willing to buy a plane or a heli...

The transmitter is a big confusion for me too : Should I invest in a good one ? like the DX6i? Should I purchase PheonixPro with the DX5e?
Do I need a receiver for futur use on a real plane ?
Do I need 3, 4, 5, 6, 7way transmitter?

My goal is to be able to pilot a foam SU-37 or MIG-29 foamie from 6mmFlyrc

Please give me some practical guidance on how to proceed?
Thank you
MSpencer
mspencer1 is offline Find More Posts by mspencer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2010, 09:00 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
Skip the simulator, and go with a Dx6i and Super Cub LP BNF.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:00 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,124 Posts
better yet add a cable to that DX6 and download RCdeskpilot to get your stick controls down
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:06 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
hold off on the DX6i until you decide you want to stick with it. Get a Flyzone playmate or parkzone Mini Super Cub. Both under $100 with basic radio.

Now at this point, If you like to fly, research what you want next, and use the prior purchase to turn your friends on...
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
Isn't better to put $100 more and have a nice transmitter like the DX6i ? and simu on Phoenix Pro ? later I would be able to add just the Super Cub to the DX6i (will the Super Cub LP work with the DX6i? is it a good set up?) ?
I mean I don't want to put $100 for like a month of play then I will be tempted to upgrade to the DX6i
I am pretty sure that I want to have some RC fun!
This only this that makes me hesitating with the DX6i is that 6ch won't be sufficient for my goals in 6 months or so (I don't know, when do we need more than 6ch?)
Doesn't make sense?
mspencer1 is offline Find More Posts by mspencer1
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:54 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Based on my personal experience last summer, I would caution on starting too small... I started with an Air Hog ($20), some cheap RTFs, which frustrated me more than taught me to fly, and then I went with an Apprentice 15e RTF, which is a 4 channel big foam high wing trainer $300, which comes with a the Spectrum 5 channel (if you have a local field where you could get some Buddy Box time)...

I would recommend spending the $$ and getting a good simulator. I got RealFlight G4.5 and have since upgraded to G5.

My buddy started with a Super Cub LP (3 channel High Wing), RealFlight G4.5 and taught himself to fly, then moved into a Trojan (4 channel low wing) when he joined our field.
robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:37 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer1 View Post
Isn't better to put $100 more and have a nice transmitter like the DX6i ? and simu on Phoenix Pro ? later I would be able to add just the Super Cub to the DX6i (will the Super Cub LP work with the DX6i? is it a good set up?) ?
I mean I don't want to put $100 for like a month of play then I will be tempted to upgrade to the DX6i
I am pretty sure that I want to have some RC fun!
This only this that makes me hesitating with the DX6i is that 6ch won't be sufficient for my goals in 6 months or so (I don't know, when do we need more than 6ch?)
Doesn't make sense?
You won't need more than 6 channels unless you get into aircraft that will require so. The vast majority of planes out there are simple 4 channel planes- even BIG planes, like 150CC or 200CC 3D gassers use simple 4 channel control.

6 channels will let you operate the 4 primary channels, as well as 2 additional channels, such as for a bomb drop or retracts or flaps.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:45 AM
Joined Apr 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Skip the simulator, and go with a Dx6i and Super Cub LP BNF.
^^this. It will save you money in the long run. Think about buying a used Dx6i.
jon.f1 is offline Find More Posts by jon.f1
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:57 AM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.f1 View Post
^^this. It will save you money in the long run. Think about buying a used Dx6i.

Not quite sure about that... By my accounting methods, I save $200 every time I do something funky and hit the Red Reset Button on my Real Flight Transmitter...

robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:12 AM
Joined Apr 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtest View Post
Not quite sure about that... By my accounting methods, I save $200 every time I do something funky and hit the Red Reset Button on my Real Flight Transmitter...

That bad with a super cub eh?
jon.f1 is offline Find More Posts by jon.f1
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:58 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
my mini super cub has slammed head into paved ground twice, side-swiped a chain link fence, been stuck in a tree twice (and retrieved with a football), and the only replacement part I ever bought was a lost landing gear ($4). Oh and I needed some scotch tape, a few drops of foam safe CA, and a stick of hot glue. Point being is this plane can handle all the newbie "oh $***!" abuses, and continue being a gluten for punishment without much repair effort. Oh yeah, it doesn't even look abused--it hides it's scars well. $99 well spent.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:46 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Don't buy a used radio, planes are expendable, a good one you will have for a very long time.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Last edited by Dan5.0; Mar 06, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:24 AM
Joined May 2005
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Don't buy a used radio, planes are expendable, a good you will have for a very long time.
Dont buy a crap radio....
Nothing wrong with a good used 2.4GHz radio.
jonesdb is offline Find More Posts by jonesdb
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:34 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Just buy a new one, how much cheaper do they need to be. There is something wrong with it, its used. You can find brand new DX6i for around $175 shipped w/rx. A dx6i isn't that great of a radio.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:29 AM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Go with the DX6i and the Super Cup LP BNF. You will never regret going this route. I am not qualified to recommend a good sim.
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26