Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:37 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
$25+ ???? .
Yep, only two orders so far. The EMS package was $27.91 and I went with air mail for the second and it was $24.77, so that's around $25+ for me.

Quote:
I have never seen a Rhino 3S1050 25C lipo.
My error, the 1050 3S Rhino is 30C and the 1000 3S Turnigy is 25C. Neither should be overly stressed when trying to pull 20A. That makes the Turnigy even better since it was able to provide a little more current. The Turnigy is 10g lighter too (81g vs 91g).
I know from the comments here that the Rhino batteries seem to be more highly regarded but so far in bench testing I am getting a little bit more from the Turnigy at that size.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_L View Post
The Turnigy is 10g lighter too (81g vs 91g).
Don't be sucked in by some of the weights stated on the web site, some batteries seem to be AUW with plugs/wires some are cells only, same with some other items as well such as servos, motors, etc.
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:13 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
Those battery weights were as measured by me. The only change I made to the battery as delivered was to fit a Deans connector and then I weighed them.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Last edited by Fred_L; Mar 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:15 AM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Oky Doky my bad
i weigh mine as well and write the weight on each pack due to what i said before.
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:35 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_L View Post
Yep, only two orders so far. The EMS package was $27.91 and I went with air mail for the second and it was $24.77, so that's around $25+ for me.

My error, the 1050 3S Rhino is 30C and the 1000 3S Turnigy is 25C. Neither should be overly stressed when trying to pull 20A. That makes the Turnigy even better since it was able to provide a little more current. The Turnigy is 10g lighter too (81g vs 91g).
I know from the comments here that the Rhino batteries seem to be more highly regarded but so far in bench testing I am getting a little bit more from the Turnigy at that size.
Thanks for the info Fred. The 20C ones at about half the price of the 30C ones are a real bargain since they cope well with 18-19 amp loads on my planes. The Rhino 1250 20C lipos handle a bit more power and are cheaper than the 3S1050 30C lipos but weigh about 15g more. I have plenty of the 3S1250 20c lipos and am happy with their performance. They may not be best-in-class for the 1250 or so size and around 112g weight, but they are very cheap. All of my Rhino lipos are still working with some of them having at least a hundred cycles on them and being at least a year old.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:28 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Need some help,

I have this HK SS Series 25-30A ESC but no instructions. When I connect my 3S battery to it the motor cuts out about 1/2 throttle. Anybody got programming instructions?

Cheers

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:18 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,235 Posts
On the HK site - in reivews for one of the SS ESCs:

One disadvantage: there is no manual included. (5 Stars with manual!)
So I have searched in web an i found that the controller is programmable.
Possible options:
- LIPO-mode (auto selection 2/3 cells)
- NIMH-mode
- Break on / off

To program this controller you have to move transmitter throttle to full position.
Now connect battery to controller.
Wait some seconds, than you hear:
*peep* - *short pause* - *peep*
*pause*
*peep*peep* - *short pause* -*peep*peep*
*pause*
*peep*peep*peep* - *short pause* -*peep*peep*peep*
*pause*
this sequence will repeat...

When you want to use NIHM cells, you have to move throttle to off position when you hear the first *beep*beep*. Than you have to wait for a longer *beeep* and a short *beep*. That's all. You can disconnect battery now.

When you want to select LIPO mode, start from the beginning (throttle full, connect battery, listen to the beeps)
At the time when you hear the first single *beep* move throttle to off and wait for
*beeep* and *beep*.

When you want to switch Brake On or Off, start from the beginning, then wait for the first *peep*peep*peep* within one sequence and put throttle to off. Wait for *beeep* and *beep*.

Note: When you connect battery and throttle is in off position you will hear a long *beeeep* when LIPO-mode ist selected or a short *beep* when NIMH-mode is active.
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:00 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,846 Posts
Ok I placed two orders, one on the 4th which is about to leave hong kong today by standard air freight and the second on the 11th by EMS and which is in australian customs now.

So it is quite easy to see that EMS is much quicker. For a couple of extra dollars its worth going EMS as far as I am concerned.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:41 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Cheers SSM,

Do you know if it has auto throttle sensing? I will try reset it and see what happens.
Clovus
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:18 PM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,235 Posts
evo - not sure yet; I'm just getting started with my SS 15-18A ESCs and have not advanced quite as far as "programming" thus far!

Simon
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
The Hippy
Perth - Australia
Joined Nov 2008
233 Posts
Evo & SSM.
For throttle setting; Turn the Rx on, only when full throttle is set (like you are entering program mode.
At the first beep, pull back to idle throttle.
It should then be set.
ddoth is offline Find More Posts by ddoth
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:33 PM
Perth Australia
Joined Feb 2010
546 Posts
evo , full pgm info at " suppo model " w/site .
swervo is offline Find More Posts by swervo
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Cheers,

I tried that. I'm a dufus, all is fixed and ESC worked as advertised.

Clovus
Last edited by evo62; Mar 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: I'm a dufus
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:54 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,877 Posts
I only have good things to say about Hobby King. I was flying my chopper at the local park and some bloke approached me, we started talking about RC things and he put me onto the site. Dont know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Seem to be spending more money these days!!

Ive ordered a range of things from Lipos, escs, wires, connectors, wattmeter, props, blades. Everything has worked just fine. I agree with an earlier post, the blades do seem to go blunt quicker, especially when working with EPP. But for the price you cant go wrong and they are great for filling up an order. The turnigy lipos and escs im using now are great. Batteries are so cheap, and so far after 10+ cycles they are all running just fine.

The only downside is the postage charges, but when youre saving that much on all the other items its not really too bad.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
I paid $35 for 5 min epoxy at my LHS vs $5.39 on HK. Even with postage on top of that I'm ahead.