HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:09 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
The ugly,

anything that hasnt been beta tested by a few hundred customers first.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2010, 05:09 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleburger View Post
The ugly,

anything that hasnt been beta tested by a few hundred customers first.
Good point. I reckon they don't do any testing on some products. Some of the problems we encounter with some of the models could be fixed by a 10 year old. I believe they rely on feedback from customers then go ahead and fix, modify or advise on how to remedy certain problems. The problem is they are still dirt cheap and we keep going back in droves.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Mar 08, 2010, 04:22 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,011 Posts
Good. This bungee rubber.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10609
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:10 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Would the red silicone bungee stuff be a bit light for up to 2m gliders Gizzo? Never saw the blue stuff, waiting on next order to get some of this stuff
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:17 PM
Caution: Noob in training
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
863 Posts
Good (though some may crucify me for it); the $6 Turnigy 2-3 cell charger. If you're a cheapskate like me who just wants to charge a battery and have it decently balanced at the end, can't go past it. It only charges one cell at a time, cycling through the cells for a minute before going onto the next, but does my 2200 3s in about an hour or two.
Due to the cycling nature, let it sit for a few minutes when you first see the green "done" light, as the remaining cells may not be fully charged yet if they were out of balance to begin with, so let it cycle through the rest to see if they are all at the same level.
Good if you only have a couple of batteries, obviously if you've got a heap you probably want one of the heavy-duty suckers.

And of course the HXT900s.
RoGuE_StreaK is offline Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:59 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Good Digital Vernier, not toolmaker quality but for the price and aplication

Good Anemometer, not sure why i need one but it cuts all the BS at the field of how strong the wind is

Good Watt meter, a must have tool for working out 'stuff' related to electrics

Good Digital Tacho, great for checking static RPM V's current/voltage

Good HXT 900 and HXT 500 servos, in this size servo there is no compeditors for bang for buck

Good Rhino lipos, not the best but for the money i've got no complaints.

Bad Zippy Lipos, i've had more duds than good ones

Bad ESC programing card, i've brought 2 and both were poo, never worked from day 1

Good 6" ratchet F clamp and 6" ratchet C clamp, these are at least 10 times cheaper than the ones in Bunnings and a must have for building/repairs, better than spring clamps IMHO

Good Tapered Reamer, very handy tool, and great for stabing that annoying golfer at the local park
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:42 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
161 Posts
I have several Plush ESC all of which have performed well. A KDA and several Turnigy motors all of which have performed well (I prefare the KDA slightly), however, don't push them. If you stick to 3 watts per gram they are fine but if you run them at the max specification give by HC they will start to throw magnets. I have been lucky any Turnigy, Rhino or Zippy batteries that I have bought have been good. However, my friend just bought 3 x 5cell Turnigy batteries one of which was DOA and a second one has a suspect low cell. At the price I'm happy to take a chance and expect to get a bad one every now and again.
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Mar 08, 2010, 10:47 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu956 View Post
Would the red silicone bungee stuff be a bit light for up to 2m gliders Gizzo? Never saw the blue stuff, waiting on next order to get some of this stuff
Haven't tried it with a 2m glider, but it boosts a 1.2m Speedo a couple hundred feet up , I guess? The blue one is even better,just about tears its wing off. Excellent. I'm just using a loop of string on the end of the bungee, not a length of fishing line Histart style. The red one will do, but blue is better.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:24 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Cheers
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:57 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,868 Posts
Zippy/Flightmax Lipos - all good

Rhino Lipos - even better (i.e. appear to run cooler than same spec Zippys)

Turnigy Motors - probably had around 10 or so of various specs from micro to 63 diam. No issues so far and great value IMO

KDA Motors - Mixed results. 1 good, 1 never worked

Turnigy Plush escs - great

Super Simple (Hobby City) escs - toss a coin - some go as described. Others burnt out way under spec

Turnigy Accel 6 Charger - Fantastic value charger and highly recomended!

Assan 2.4 module (in a JR 2610) and numerous 7ch, 6ch and 4ch rxers. No problems so far and use them on models up to 5kg

HK450 Helo - poormans T-Rex and excellent value for a beginner

Low Wing Micro Cessna - you have to buy a 1s esc to get it to work properly and whilst it flies ok its pretty underpowered.

Would be interested in any feedback on other kits?

Anyone had any success with the micro techone Piagett or Yak?
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:27 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,665 Posts
I have quite a few KDA motors and my favourite is the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trunner_1440Kv
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Mar 09, 2010, 03:29 AM
East Coast, Australia
Joined Jul 2009
169 Posts
The Good - Turnigy batteries, motors and speed controllers

The Bad - Zippy batteries with their long tough balance wires and easy to puff cells.

The Ugly - Shipping costs
distractor is offline Find More Posts by distractor
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:48 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
69 Posts
Anyone else having problems with Turnigy batteries dropping a cell? Ive had 4 of the 3S 1600Mah and 3 of them have had one cell die (one might have been from a crash though), they seem to do it after about 5 or so cycles. Its annoying as they are a pretty good sized battery for most of the planes I fly.
bergerac is offline Find More Posts by bergerac
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:08 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerac View Post
Anyone else having problems with Turnigy batteries dropping a cell? Ive had 4 of the 3S 1600Mah and 3 of them have had one cell die (one might have been from a crash though), they seem to do it after about 5 or so cycles. Its annoying as they are a pretty good sized battery for most of the planes I fly.
I have not got round to ordering turnigy batteries and not sure I will go passed rhino at the price difference.

Gizzo thanks for the heads up on the bungie, I have ordered 20m for a cat for some of my planes.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:10 PM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
The ugly - Current order processing times, I ordered something with express post last Saturday and its taken over a week to process the order and it still hasn't left there factory. I know they celebrate Chinese new year, but they can't use that excuse all year long. And now i can't even get even get customer support during there opening hours does any one have a direct email for them, doesn't look like they supply it anymore.
Mr Krinkle is offline Find More Posts by Mr Krinkle
Last edited by Mr Krinkle; Mar 15, 2010 at 08:16 PM.