to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:12 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
It has fins, however they are smaller than the supplied ones and lighter. When this thing flies straight it's smooth. It just goes nuts when you change its attitude because it's so light. Just under 4oz for a 26"wing. It's like a flying piece of paper, as soon as you change direction it hits a wall of air.
"a flying piece of paper" that's an interesting analogy, I guess that's why it looks like it's all over the place on that video. The one I built is a 30" beta version and I went light with it too, but the straighter wing was difficult to balance so I went with an 800 2s battery instead of the 300 2s I wanted to use. So mine ended up at 5.5 oz all up weight and seems to fly pretty well even with a little wind. And it is still slow enough that I even took it to an indoor flying event last weekend and tried a little combat with a guy flying a Swift II, no hits though.
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:39 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I wasn't using dual rates either.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:19 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Dual rates, what's that? :-) I don't bother with that either, I just figure these planes can take the crashes so what's the point. Last weekend in the gym I managed to skip/touch-and-go off the floor a couple different times with just a small chip out of the prop that I didn't notice til I was done flying... good times!
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
I just built another, I cut it to 22 inches and used a 24 gram Hextronik 3000kv motor, full build, it screams, and it will glide better than the full size I built?? Go figure. With the full size 26 and a 2850 kv motor I RC Speedo'd at a consistent 70 mph, have not clocked the new one yet, but it is noticeably faster. The Hextronik motor takes longer to get to full speed than the Emax motor I used on the 26, but the top speed is greater. Just a hoot.
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Just used the rc speedo on the new one, in a small field, about 200 yards x 100 yards wide, not much room for building speed here, got high speeds of 75 mph in this short distance. I also got 1 oddball speed of 109 mph, I think the speedo was wrong there! It could have been a straight in dive who knows? Long story short, the 26 inch, around 65 to 75, 22 inch, around 75 to ???. This is in a small area, 200 yards, less because you have to avoid the surrounding woods.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Your speeds may be correct but you can easily distort the numbers if you don't know how to set up the speed runs.

If you don't or can't continue on a straight line for the entire reading or if you cut the throttle before the speed is calculated the speed on the RCSpeedo will be wrong. The Doppler works by listening to the sound of the plane. Anything that affects the volume or pitch of the sound received will be interpreted and a different speed.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
I need to find a larger area as this is too small to get a long straight run at level, but I think the 75 to 85 to be about right as I have flown next to highways with cars traveling at 70 and have easily overtaken them. The rc speedo just gives a number, I already had a pretty good idea of the speed before. A large clear area is needed, amazing performance with both planes, because they will scream, but both can just glide, hang in the wind, incredible range of use, using 2 different motors which spec out about the same, the e-max has more bottom end push, the hextronik has more high end wind. Both work really well. Although the smaller one is much faster, I like the larger, more powerful plane more, the smaller one will eat it alive, but you'd better be wide awake. And most of my runs weren't wide open throttle because your eyes just won't be able to keep up. I'll get some more realistic speeds on my next trip out of town, where I can find some big open fields.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
P.S. I have tried out several "wings" one was faster, but none of them were as smooth, I am in Texas, the wind is almost always with us here,"Tornado Alley" a name well earned. Your wing will tolerate more wind than any other! Just performs! I can't break it! Means a lot!Sometimes I do try to break it! Can't be done!
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:20 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
The Doppler says Brent's plane is going 93 mph. Bet we could hit 100 with a little practice and slightly bigger prop.

Fasten your seat belts. This baby can roll!!!!

I wanted to show what a RCSpeedo Doppler app can do on a droid phone. I ran the app while editing the video and left the sound on at about minute 1:00. In flight we had speeds of 87-93+ mph on speed runs. Enjoy.

You may want to go full screen. This is a small plane going fast and it is hard to keep the camera on it when it is close up.

Scythe 93 MPH with Doppler demo (5 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jun 03, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:11 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
This is the motor Brent used on the Scythe in the video.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...?categoryId=-1
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
I've never built my own plane and I was wondering if these parts would work for a scythe:

Motor

Battery

ESC

Servos

Props (I know they're both counter rotating and normal, but theyre the only 5x3s in the US warehouse that I could find).

Thanks!
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Apr 2013
35 Posts
Lee (or anyone else), what's the smallest usable size for the fins? I finally got my Scythe built as a relatively light setup (about 6.5 ounces) and I have to keep the 2S 800 battery so far forward I would have to cut out a battery compartment that nearly touches the leading edges (right now it's on velcro). I even tried a 2S 1000 mAh battery and whatever I gain from the added nose weight I lose from the increased perimeter of the battery. I figured my best shot was cutting a little weight off the fins since they are so far back. I am using a pretty light motor (HXT2211 20g) and 6g Suppo servos with carbon fiber pushrods so I don't think the back end can be made much lighter.

Other than that I have to say for a small wing it flies great! I took it out for about 15 minutes at midday between bouts of rain and after a couple clicks of trim it flew very nicely. I took it out again at dusk and ended up battling sustained winds of 12mph or so with gusts above 20 that really made for some white knuckle flying, but I don't think anything else I have that weighs under 200g with a 26" ws would have been flyable at all.
bobinnc is offline Find More Posts by bobinnc
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Maiden Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinnc View Post
ended up battling sustained winds of 12mph or so with gusts above 20 that really made for some white knuckle flying...
That statement pretty much sums up the maiden flight on my Scythe. The wind was blowing and the Scythe was twitching and rolling across the sky.

Specifications:

All up weight 10.5 ounces

Motor - Emax 2812 - www.hobbyking.com (rewound with 10 winds of 26ga MicroDan Newbie wire)
Prop - 7x6e APC - www.hobbyking.com (cut down to 4.75")
ESC - HobbyKing SS 20amp - www.hobbyking.com (I am not real fond of these ESCs, I had it on hand.)
Servos - New Power XL-9HM - www.EPBuddy.com
Battery - Hyperion G3 CX - 3S 850mAh (25C) - no address because the place I ordered from is no longer in business

The GoPro is not the best camera for this type of flying, especially with something as small as the Scythe. Although, I have to admit, the wide angle made it easier to stay within the frame. I was the only one at the field Sunday. The wind must have scared everyone else away.

Crash Test Hobby Scythe - Maiden Flight (4 min 34 sec)
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2012
251 Posts
I originally posted a 1300mah battery, asking if it'd work, but now you say that your 800 barely fits while keeping the cg correct. Do you have any input on whether it'd work? Thanks
elmtree is offline Find More Posts by elmtree