HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
Sorry, but they're all toys.
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
How long are your streamers? I may try that construction ribbon approach... My scythe uses 15' x 2" nylon kite tail, and swings an 8" prop in order to tow them. I may give the construction ribbon a try and go loooooong!
Eric Odle is offline Find More Posts by Eric Odle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
I have pulled 15' to 30' streamers. I usually pull just one on the Scythe so they don't tangle and so it can be longer. The plastic ribbon doesn't have much drag.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:08 AM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I was going to give some streamers a try as well after thanksgiving
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:32 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,058 Posts
Streamers are a big hit with our club members. We have settled on black crepe paper as being the "best" for a couple of reasons and will be using it for next seasons competition; using streamers saves lots of wear and tear on our planes.

The black paper is easy to see as the cut portion slowly drifts down.

Our official club field and our unofficial alternate site are not club owned properties so using biodegradable paper makes sense for us.

The downside of the paper is that it produces much more drag on the plane when flying and using the rewound 2812 motor is almost a "must".

That being said, I tried the plastic streamer Lee recommended - it is much easier for the planes to tow - esp. the Scythe.
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
We gather up all the scraps of streamer but we are flying over a sod farm where they are easy to see.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:00 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Super light Scythe 3.8oz!

Finally I got a chance to build this little fun scythe. It took my HK order a while to get in but I finally put it together and flew it. It was not that hard to keep the build light even with some laminate for stiffness. After flying it for a few times and nosing it into the ground just to watch it barely flop I know it doesn't need much protection to not fly apart. I ran it into myself on purpose to see how bad it was and I was pleased it didn't hurt...

The first video explains most of what I did and the other two are of me flying the wing outside in a little bit of wind. It flies awesome when there is barely any wind. I'm not sure if it looks fast on the video but it really isn't compared to my 10.5oz Scythe. I'm not sure what the stall speed is on it but it's pretty slow. I think this would fly indoor in a gym quite well and still be able to do aerobatics.

I usually fly 8 minutes on the 300mah batteries and I end up putting about 180mah back into the battery so fairly good flight times on such a small battery.

HK AP05 3000kv motor 5x3 prop
HTX500 5g servo
orange 6ch rx
300mah nanotech 2s
6a esc

3.8oz CrashTestHobby 26" Scythe flying wing (2 min 22 sec)

3.8oz CrashTestHobby 26" Scythe flying wing (2 min 26 sec)

3.8oz CrashTestHobby flying wing (0 min 22 sec)

Enjoy,

Eric
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
3.8oz may be the lightest Scythe I have heard of.

Great job and thanks for the explanation video. I like the take off with almost no toss.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Thanks Lee.

Yeah, not much if any toss is required.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
battery

I just got some 65/130c Thunder Power batteries, same weight as a 30c, a bit expensive, but they will give you noticable gain in speed, and control response. This is much easier than experimenting with other props and motor combos. Plug em in, and go.
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Gopro3 with case on my scythe, could have flown better I suppose.
Scythe (0 min 51 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:55 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Gopro3 with case on my scythe, could have flown better I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxx...e_gdata_player
Thanks for the video.... I have had flights like that...

Was the plane spinning on its nose at the end?

I thought the Scythe is small to be carrying a GoPro but you proved it is possible. I find the flat front on any camera makes a big difference in performance and lift.

When I shot this video I was using the " Mini DVR 808 #16 V2 -Lens D Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P Pocket Camcorder" ...( $44.00 at http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365 ) which isn't as good of a camera I will admit but it is super light and more aerodynamic.

Scythe Target Practice (3 min 32 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:03 AM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Thanks for the video.... I have had flights like that...

Was the plane spinning on its nose at the end?

I thought the Scythe is small to be carrying a GoPro but you proved it is possible. I find the flat front on any camera makes a big difference in performance and lift.

When I shot this video I was using the " Mini DVR 808 #16 V2 -Lens D Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P Pocket Camcorder" ...( $44.00 at http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365 ) which isn't as good of a camera I will admit but it is super light and more aerodynamic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0xFAqRV4xU
It was an awful setup... I just threw it on with some e tape. What you saw was the camera flying off and rolling a long ways on its side. It was very unstable with the camera sticking up so far. Had I put it on with no case it would have flown just fine. My deep reaper wasn't built and this was the only wing capable of holding the camera at the time. I have a keychain camera planned for the future.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:17 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
I had a gopro too but it wasn't what I needed for my smaller planes so when someone offered me money I took it and spent it on the smaller 808s.

I could tell the GP was on the plane even when I had it on my 78' Herc. I'm sure part of it was the old case and camera weighed about 8 oz but I think the flat front of the camera was disrupting airflow enough to kill some lift. The plane still flew well but I was surprised I could tell it was there..
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:24 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Chasing clouds

Well, after some of the weather that has been going through here and me being busy I have not had much time to fly. I got home from work and I was enjoying the low clouds and I thought I could take my poor little Scythe out in the 20+ MPH winds that were sweeping across the sky. So I took my gopro out of the case and mashed it into the battery slot, taped the half charge battery somewhere near the CG and went out to the field and let her go. The winds were crazy so my turns are crazy as well. I lost some of my reference on the wing on the last run so I don't think I quite made it to the clouds.

Chasing Clouds (1 min 38 sec)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Well, after some of the weather that has been going through here and me being busy I have not had much time to fly. I got home from work and I was enjoying the low clouds and I thought I could take my poor little Scythe out in the 20+ MPH winds that were sweeping across the sky. So I took my gopro out of the case and mashed it into the battery slot, taped the half charge battery somewhere near the CG and went out to the field and let her go. The winds were crazy so my turns are crazy as well. I lost some of my reference on the wing on the last run so I don't think I quite made it to the clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JMmr7Zfl2w
I noticed the lights were on in town so you must have been flying an aerobatic plane at dusk with a go pro in high wind. That sounds like me on many of my flying days. I do put lights on the plane however.

The GoPro is not very aerodynamic. I shot the video below with a keychain 808 #16 D lens camera which is 1/6th the weight of the GP and doesn't have near the drag making the plane easier to fly.

Scythe Target Practice (3 min 32 sec)