HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
662 Posts
Just pick a size you can use on a bunch of planes. Then it is an investment. I bought the 1804motor for depron park jets and tiny wings in mind. Imagine the 2505-4200 kv motor!
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Last edited by Gonzo 1971; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Ug, I just see the money rolling down the drain
But its going to a good cause!~~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is online now Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,318 Posts
My wife says radio control is cheaper than therapy.

We design our small planes to use the $6 dollar 2812 -1534 kv motor as possible. Because of this they also use low cost ESCs, batteries and servos. You can drastically reduce the cost of flying if you try to standardize what you are doing.

The Scythe and Pelican use the 2812 motor with the 7x6 prop cut down to 4.75" and the Albatross, Assassin, Widwomaker, Roswell all using the same motor, prop and radio gear it makes it so you can use the same motors, props, ESCs and servos on all of your planes.

Before we started doing this I had at least a dozen different motors and many sizes of ESCs and props I had to keep in stock just to keep all my planes in the air. Not any more. I carry a couple of spare motors and a few props and can take 6 or more planes out to fly and the motors will work on any of them.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I did get a 2812 for one of my scythe. The other is pretty light right now. I'm guessing between 3.7 and 3.9oz all up when finished
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Before we started doing this I had at least a dozen different motors and many sizes of ESCs and props I had to keep in stock just to keep all my planes in the air. Not any more. I carry a couple of spare motors and a few props and can take 6 or more planes out to fly and the motors will work on any of them.
Lee, I just want you to know that at least a few of us REALLY appreciate this philosophy. Before I discovered CTH I was buying a separate power train for each plane, and it was really expensive, and when the plane died, the expensive motor went into a box never to be used again.

It looks like there are plenty of guys who want to try different motors with different ESC and ESC settings, and I've got no problem with that. I could probably learn a lot from them, but keeping all my planes in the air at low cost so they can be hit and hit other planes is a much higher priority.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
9 Posts
I have to agree that using the same motors on combat planes makes sense. Its like everyone is on the same playing field so one guy is not speeding past everyone and cannot get hit. Thats why in nitro combat the planes are restricted to certain motors and size props. I fly the cf2812 on the assassin in combat, but why not try something different on one of the scythes. I thought thats why we got two in the box? I used a motor and esc i had on hand and i really thought it woke up the platform. The performance on both the motors i tried was outstanding. I can always turn the other one into a combat plane with the 2812 if i want.

I really didnt want to make it a slowflier, becuase i tried that with a lightweight stryker build and got bored pretty quick with it.

Not trying to say anyone's mentality is wrong here. Just make it however you feel you will have the most fun with it.
flitime is offline Find More Posts by flitime
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:17 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,318 Posts
Maybe I need to clarify that in combat we are trying to get hit. The guys in front slow down and the guys behind speed up. We want to get the planes in a group then everyone tries to roll or loop or dive into each other. It is easy to stay out of the line of fire if you don't want to be hit but what is the fun in that????

As you can see we have a club with an attitude. Even the GoPros are legal targets. Watch the tripods in the videos.

sWARm Fall 2011 (5 min 17 sec)

SWARM highlights (Wind-of-Change & JetPackNinja) (3 min 12 sec)

UnCivil War - sWARm combat and limbo 4-12 (4 min 21 sec)

St George HD Combat fly In 2-12 (4 min 19 sec)

sWARm Spring 2012 (2 min 57 sec)

RC Combat Event - sWARm Fall 2011 (3 min 44 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Maiden my heavy scythe today. Cobbled it together with leftover stuff.

2818 motor
3s 800mah was using 400Mah for 10 mins of flight
$1.50 9g servos
40a esc..it's what I had.
6x3 prop..also what I had
The wing tips came from the top of my Chinese take out container.

Overall impression, I like it a lot. Even let the neighbor kid fly it. Not sure on the AUW but it can fly fairly slow and still is pretty quick. I just give it a nice overhand toss and it floats more than enough to easily get on the controls.
Thanks Lee

Still waiting on parts for my super light wing.

Eric
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Yes, it lacks color, I'm boring like that
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Yes, it lacks color, I'm boring like that
Lol! I guess it could do with some color, but it's all about the fun flying it anyway, right?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I've added a little color, any thoroughly bashed it up. Flies like a champ.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
I have experimented around with this for a while and have come down to my final combination.

Emax cf2805 motor
mg90 servos
full coating of tape & laminate
850 mah 45c2s, or a 500 mah 3s, both weigh the same, it works well with either
18 amp esc, probably maxed out
4.75 X 4.75 apc, or 4.1 X 4.1
weighs 9 ounces

it has 2 speeds, screaming, and off.
It eats the wind, bounces off the ground, and is just fast in a ridiculous way, with a hot 2s it is way fast, with a 3s it is really just, make ya giggle, fast. I kept going down on prop size until I got full response from my throttle stick all the way back and forward. 4.1 just screams and will still go straight up, 4.75 is a step back to gain a little control. With the cut down prop, in the description, it will chug around, and is kind of fun that way, but this thing is made to go fast. Put a thin little prop on it, keep the weight down, and then let it spin up and go.

I rercommend using as small of a prop as you can stand with this, really, let it get up to speed, it is very smooth once it gets there.

Love it.
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:31 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
I think my buddy and I have found the perfect way to combat with these Scythe's,
I put 2, 20 ft. streamers on my Grim Reaper and fly a nice slow racetrack pattern while the Scythe's try and cut them.

The little Scythes are quick to accelerate making catching up to the rabbit easy and they are VERY quick to turn - as a bonus they just bounce off the Reaper if they hit it.

In addition, my 4s Reaper is fast enough to take a swipe at an unsuspecting Scythe if it's foolish enough to get in front of me!! (makes flying the rabbit more entertaining)

Our Scythes are heavyweights - mine is running 370 watts on a 3 cell 1300 and my buddy is running 600 watts on a 3 cell 2200...great little planes - the best budget "hot-liner" you can buy in my opinion.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,318 Posts
How many watts??? hehehehehehe

I pull streamers with my Scythes too. My favorite streamer is the plastic orange construction ribbon they sell at Lowes.

I took a Reaper out with one of my Scythes in combat. I hit him on the top and unplugged his motor.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:59 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My favorite streamer is the plastic orange construction ribbon they sell at Lowes.
Thanks Lee! We are flying combat again later today so I'll give that a try.
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight