HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
332 Posts
Re: Scythe Target Practice

When will we be able to buy a kit for the EPP tripod holding up the cones?
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:44 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
So, can I use the white gorilla glue to install the shock cord?
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
Wet the cord first so it will activate the gorilla glue. It works but I still prefer the CA glue.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Re: Scythe Target Practice

When will we be able to buy a kit for the EPP tripod holding up the cones?
One of the flyers suggested putting a short stake in the ground and sliding one of the Water Weenies that they use for floatation in swimming pools over the top. It has yet to be tried but is cheap and fast to set back up and made out of the same kind of foam as the tripod in the video. We have even used a big tumble weed that is common here in the west as a low lying target.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:58 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
ug, I want to laminate the wing but I don't think I want to to save weight. Something tells me that my wing at around 4oz or less will take a beating without laminate on it. I may just do the leading edge and try to clean up the foam bits as best I can. Still plan on lam on the elevons. Any suggestions from you light builders on how much I can get away with leaving out?

Plus I have my other scythe to turn into a ballistic beast.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:33 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
On a wing this small, is the lam really all that heavy? Man, for the benefit it provides, it's gotta be worth the tiny extra bit of weight it adds. I mean, we're all adding lam to planes as big as a Hercules that are going to be used as FPV planes. I can't imagine it's going to make any difference on a Scythe.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:36 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1Allen View Post
I like GG for two things: repairs and the shock cord.

Repairs, because it gets into all the cracks and bonds the foam together really well.

Shock cord, because it's an easy process. Ball up the string and put it in a bowl of water. Get the GG white (with the thin applicator tip), and squeeze it into the slot you cut for the shock cord, then pull the string out of the water and stuff it in on top of the GG.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:06 AM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Easy enough. I'm just trying to finish what I can till my hk order arrives
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:18 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
E1Allen, I only used laminate on the leading edge, trailing edge where the elevons are taped on, and just a single layer on the elevons to make them stiff. I then used regular packing tape for the elevon hinges, and my light weight build still seems plenty durable, maybe not as tough as full laminate, but still pretty tough. I think it's just the nature of EPP foam.
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:49 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
E1Allen, I only used laminate on the leading edge, trailing edge where the elevons are taped on, and just a single layer on the elevons to make them stiff. I then used regular packing tape for the elevon hinges, and my light weight build still seems plenty durable, maybe not as tough as full laminate, but still pretty tough. I think it's just the nature of EPP foam.
Probably right. I think I will attempt the leading and trailing edge technique. My motor is so small I have to run the block for the motor halfway off the wing. Pictures soon
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
UH60 Pilot
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Well, as soon as my stinking hk order gets here...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,330 Posts
The elevons need the laminate to be stiff enough for aerobatics. I have left the E-Tape off the Scythe to save weight but still done the laminate. It is the choice of motor, battery, Esc, and servos that makes the biggest difference.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:13 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
247 Posts
Lee, on the light build I did, I skipped the Extreme tape but I did laminate the elevons to make them stiff. And after just a single layer of laminate they seemed stiff enough, and it seems to fly just fine to me, of course I fly fairly slow in the small park I go to, 1/2 throttle for maybe 80% of most flights. So the build choices are relative to the flying preferences I guess and mine flies great as an aerobatic slow flying wing the way I chose to build it. I should probably try a heavy duty high speed wing next?
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Lee- After a long time getting things ready, I finally was able to truly FPV the scythe. It definitely does great and really handles the extra weight very well. You can absolutely advertise this as a pocket FPV wing. Best part is that I dont have to worry about crashing it or landing in a tight spot. Pretty much just fly it into the ground where ever and its good to go!
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
@ashdec87... You probably did before, but now that you've confirmed good fpv flight on a scythe, would you mind posting your fpv setup? And did you do anything different for motor/exc/batt than recommended for normal flight?

Thx