HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
here's my setup. Ignore the mangled camera wire, I unplugged it when I was flying LOS... this plug proceeded to get caught in prop with a nice bang lol.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
Sorry, but they're all toys.
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
The Scythe is actually my biggest aircraft, and I have lots and lots of power to spare on the 2s nanotech 850's and rewound 2730 motor. That's because I'm turning an 8" prop with ample traction. I figure I could add another 50-100g to this thing and it'll fly just fine. And it'll fit into a medium-sized backpack no problem.
Eric Odle is offline Find More Posts by Eric Odle
Old May 16, 2012, 01:05 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2010
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
here's my setup. Ignore the mangled camera wire, I unplugged it when I was flying LOS... this plug proceeded to get caught in prop with a nice bang lol.
Seems quite simple. What kind of antenna is that on the VTX? I plan to try and use a cloverleaf, but I'm a bit concerned it's going to get caught on things.
Kamu is offline Find More Posts by Kamu
Old May 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Ya it's about as simple as it gets for FPV. The antenna is a dipole. Works great and it durable.

What frequency do you use? you can make a simply cage or put it next to the fin on the wing tip. That works on my grim reaper.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2010
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Ya it's about as simple as it gets for FPV. The antenna is a dipole. Works great and it durable.

What frequency do you use? you can make a simply cage or put it next to the fin on the wing tip. That works on my grim reaper.
It will be 5.8ghz I believe (I haven't purchased anything yet). Is yours 5.8GHz as well?

The dipole, is it a DIY based on IBCrazy's tutorial?
Kamu is offline Find More Posts by Kamu
Old May 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Oh ok, no I use 2.4, so any antenna you have will be half the size of mine.

And ya, its his antenna.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
EPP takes a lickin'

I love showing off the crashworthiness of these EPP wings. I was flying with a couple of FBs last week and they watched me fly the Scythe in a rather aggressive fashion. One high speed low pass ended up being too low, and the little wing bounced about 6 feet in the air. I could see both of them wince. Thanks to the prop saver I only had to reseat the prop and give it a quick control check before I threw it back in the air for some more craziness.

The look on their faces was priceless!
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old May 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
USA, NC, Stanley
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Just gotta say, these are great planes. #1 built light, 6 oz with 2S460, Park 250, GWS 6X5, etc. Slow-flyin park flyer. #2 a bit heavier, 8.3 oz with 3S850, Turnigy 2730-3000, APC 6X3. What a rocket. Thanks for a great design, Lee!

John
Hi John,

Would you provide a link to the motor mount used on the plane in the center, please?

Thank you,

Fly_right (Lee)
fly_right is offline Find More Posts by fly_right
Old May 24, 2012, 06:53 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
566 Posts
Motor Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_right View Post
Hi John,

Would you provide a link to the motor mount used on the plane in the center, please?

Thank you,

Fly_right (Lee)
Happy to:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9869

Turnigy 2730 slips right in, just tighten the screw clamp.

John
jhark37 is online now Find More Posts by jhark37
Old May 24, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
I'll be finishing up my scythe tonight, and I made it where a 7x6 prop will just barely fit. Will that actually give me more speed than if I cut a prop down to 5x6? Is it worth messing with it that big? I'll be flying the 2812 rewound like we do on the assassins, which gives us about 80 mph on a 7x6.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old May 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,314 Posts
You will see it will roll better one direction with that big of prop and that much power but it will be fast and maneuverable,
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post
Happy to:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9869

Turnigy 2730 slips right in, just tighten the screw clamp.

John

I have several of these 2730's... They are lightweight, excellent motors that are very easy to rewind. There's a thread devoted to this motor with some serious rewinders contributing and all kinds of data on different configurations.

The 3000kv version is wound dLRK, which is a quieter motor with better throttle resolution than the other ABC-wound versions. I'd go with that one and rewind if you don't like the kv rating.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Odle View Post
I have several of these 2730's... They are lightweight, excellent motors that are very easy to rewind. There's a thread devoted to this motor with some serious rewinders contributing and all kinds of data on different configurations.

The 3000kv version is wound dLRK, which is a quieter motor with better throttle resolution than the other ABC-wound versions. I'd go with that one and rewind if you don't like the kv rating.
Thanks, Eric. Just starting to explore the world of rewinding. I'll have to look for that thread.

John
jhark37 is online now Find More Posts by jhark37
Old May 24, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Here's the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1025188

Good luck!
Old May 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
So I maidened my Scythe today. I've built a few of Lee's wings, and I can tell you, the scythe is the most fun one so far! I put a 9-wind 2812 on it pulling 300+ watts with a 7x6 prop and I can't think of a good word to describe the incredible acceleration. "Stupid fast" perhaps. I'm not sure it's the best of the CTH wings, but I had a ton of fun with it today.

Small, Hard to see, and super duper fast.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Last edited by Whomprat; May 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM.