Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry, but they're all toys.
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Parklite vs Laminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalby View Post
OK here it is all complete except for some covering of the servo's (i'll cover after the maiden )
auw w/ 3s 460 is 5.5 oz
2-bluebird 303 (might swap for hxt500 if they can't handle it )
turnigy 1811-2000 w/gws 4540 prop
rhino 3s 460 mah
spektrum ar6110e
I really want to maiden today but it's pouring out and the forcast calls for almost 4 inches of rain this weekend...bummer

Can't wait to hear how it flies! It looks to me like you trimmed the tips to make the 24" wingspan, how much washout did you leave in it?

I just got my Scythes yesterday and measured and plugged the data into the wing calculator. Here is the link to a tip-trim approach resulting in a 24" wingspan:

http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=24&...ow_mac_lines=1

I also weighed the 18" x 49" piece of laminate included, and came up with a covering weight of 81 grams per square meter. Ultracote Parklite claims 36, less than half the weight. I figure that will translate to about a 10g difference on the finished wing. I'm going for light on the first Scythe to try and keep the wing loading around 4 oz/sq.ft if I can.

From what I'm seeing on the Assassin thread, I may still need the laminate on the EPP elevons to stiffen them. Maybe if I keep them short enough it won't need too much stiffening, we'll see!
Eric Odle is offline Find More Posts by Eric Odle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:25 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootty83 View Post
...Anybody have any input on this?
there would be no way to land the GR safely within a short enough time span. You would have to keep your eyes on the Reaper (not on the Scythe)in order to bring her in for a controlled landing. Then, once it has landed, your eyes will still not be on the Scythe, they will be on your controller while you change models. You would then have to be able to locate the Scythe in the sky if it hasn't crashed or floated too far away to see and hope you can gain control.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
motor mount

I like nalby's motor mount, but here are some inovative ideas.

How-to install a motor Mount (3 min 30 sec)

How to Dremel a slot in a Motor Mount (2 min 17 sec)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k3aHgpMQZLprNDTPgY
http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2372
fred_n is offline Find More Posts by fred_n
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:53 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
693 Posts
Here's a short vid of the maiden, it was way to windy for the little 24"er, 22 mph w/ gusts. I really couldn't get it trimmed out but it looks like it's going to be a fast fun wing. the bluebird servos gave out even before I got to launch it so I switched them out with some hxt-500's and I put a 3s 800 mah just to give it some more weight for the wind, it's real fat at 6.9 oz

Scythe (1 min 7 sec)
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Last edited by nalby; Mar 14, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Here's a short vid of the maiden, it was way to windy for the little 24"er, 22 mph w/ gusts. I really couldn't get it trimmed out but it looks like it's going to be a fast fun wing. the bluebird servos gave out even before I got to launch it so I switched them out with some hxt-500's and I put a 3s 800 mah just to give it some more weight for the wind, it's real fat at 6.9 oz

http://vimeo.com/10160014
Sure do the first maiden flight in a hurricane!

I expect it will be fast with the 24" span at that weight. Mine range in width from 26"-30".
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
693 Posts
can't wait to see them and check out your setup's
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:17 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
Check out the price of the AR6110e on this site.

http://www.bigskyhobby.com/
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:16 PM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Brave of you to maiden in that kind of wind, and with obstacles galore! I was feeling a little skeptical that my Blue Bird 3615 servos would be enough, and seeing your experience with those 303's I think I'll just wait until I have my HXT-500's in hand.

The weight of the EPP material only for a stock-sweeped 24" wing with 2" cutouts at the tips (Assassin-style) and 8" elevons is 27g.

I know Lee doesn't recommend a finless approach but this is still a relatively thick airfoil so I'm going to give it a shot. If it doesn't work I may try some other drag-inducing trick at the tips, or put fins on. Plus I think it looks cool.

I'd put a photo up but my camera crapped out so I'll have to borrow one from my shipmates as I get further along.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_n View Post
Check out the price of the AR6110e on this site.

http://www.bigskyhobby.com/

That's the cheapest I've ever seen them, and the shipping was cheap also. Two 6110e's on the way! Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Suggested Thrust Angle

Lee, any suggestions for the thrust angle? I'm leaning towards parallel with the bottom of the foil, because it is conveniently flat. Once I cut the angle in I won't be able to modify it easily so I'm hoping to get it right the first time.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
With a short span and a thin wing you will probably need the fins.

There is another idea I have had. If you cut the angle and put a fin that is only 2" tall only on each angle to get the drag on a thin wing without as much fin. (HUH?) Even I can hardly understand what I said but I think you get the idea.

I'm going to start with the motor on the same angle as the bottom of the airfoil.

Lee
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:05 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
I think I am going to Velcro the motor on my first plane so i can take it off for sloping.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:25 AM
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
With a short span and a thin wing you will probably need the fins.

There is another idea I have had. If you cut the angle and put a fin that is only 2" tall only on each angle to get the drag on a thin wing without as much fin. (HUH?) Even I can hardly understand what I said but I think you get the idea.

I'm going to start with the motor on the same angle as the bottom of the airfoil.

Lee

I understand you here, more drag may be necessary. I'm guessing that the drag needs to be far enough aft, hence why you need a fairly swept wing for it to work. Have you ever tried a step, or a shoulder, instead of the angle? I suppose it could be as far aft as possible, just in front of the elevon perhaps. It might not look as pretty as a neat angle, though.

That'll be interesting just trying out the different fin/finless arrangements to see which one is acceptably stable for the smallest package. I'm already very encouraged by how well this thing will fold in half due to the flat bottom foil, it should go together into a nice little travel package.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:39 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Aug 2009
172 Posts
I don't know didilly about wings, but what if you put a short, thin fin on top of the wing toward the tips and not on the tips themselves? Anyone ever tried that?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
To have the smallest fin with the greatest effect it needs to be slightly toed in at the back end of the wing.

I have been looking at trying the mini angle fins on the larger planes like the Titan and Grim Reaper. I will probably cut several designs and put velcro on the fin and the velcro on the angle and try them on the angles to see if they work.