SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2010, 10:36 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Build Log
Hangar 9 Sundowner Formula 1 ARF

I am getting ready to start my winter project now that Spring is almost here! Good thing it is an ARF!

I picked-up a H9 Sundowner Formula 1 ARF tonight from my LHS. The box is huge!

The power system I am using is a Hacker C50-13XL Acro, Hacker Master 77 ESC and ThunderPower Gen 2 9S3P 6000mah pack. Kind of an old school power system, but I have it available and it produces 2000 watts when using a 20x15 APC-E prop.

2000 watts should fly the Sundowner fine, even if it ends up 15lbs and the speed should be fairly decent with the 20x15 prop.

I hope to start the assembly soon. I will weigh everything and try to find ways to reduce the weight.

More details to follow, until then enjoy a picture of the Sundowner box with a cat on it!
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:46 AM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
I'm watch this build. I was thinking of getting this plane. How is the quality of this plane?

V/r
Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
I have had only a quick look at the plane, but the quality looks nice. I did notice there is a color match issue with the yellow paint and covering.

I get a picture of it tonight.

Brian
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:36 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
There should be several threads on this airplane here. I built one. It likes fast. If stalled or snapped it takes A LOT OF ALTITUDE to recover. It is a thrill to fly. It likes fast.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:14 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Yup, finally found the threads after I purchased the plane! Sometimes the 'search' function isn't my friend!

I haven't been very active in RC for the last three years, this project has me excited again!

Now I have to decide if I am putting the Sundowner on a major diet; Central Hobbies Ti/CF pushrods, CF landing/tail gear, CF spinner/wheel pants, ultra light wheels and moving to lighter servos.

Replacing the servos will save about 5 oz, but I am worried about using the little HS-225MGs on a plane this size, but then again the control surfaces are very small. I think I could save around a pound, but it would add at lot of cost to the project. I picked the Sundowner because I could reuse gear and get it flying cheap and quick.

Thanks for the replies

Brian
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:30 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I used the Spektrum DS821's Cheap and strong. I did not diet. Just fly fast. It will never be a floater anyway....
Old Mar 04, 2010, 06:45 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Hee Hee! I really don't like diets, so why should my plane have to be on one! I have Hitec HS-2625MGs to use in the plane, 2 oz each but plenty fast and strong.

I hope she goes fast! How much expo is everyone using on the elevator? The manual has 7 & 15%, seems a little low to me.

Unboxed the plane, tighten the covering with heat gun and assembled the landing gear. Nice job of covering, but the airframe could have been sanded smoother, but it is an ARF.

Looks a 20" prop might be a challenge without taller gear. I will know more once I get the motor installed. Should be OK with a 3-point landing, plus my club has a paved runway.

Brian
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:00 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,445 Posts
I'd go for a smaller prop with more pitch and more cells. The setup you are talking about is barely 80mph. On a plane this size it will look REALLY SLOW. If you go to 12S and an APC 16x16 you are looking at 2300 watts and 117mph pitch speed (calculator prediction). I think it would be a better setup. The power system would handle it I think if the rpm's arn't too high for the gearbox (7800rpm output speed).
Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal
Last edited by Z06kal; Mar 04, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 07:12 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I flew mine on 12S. Barely fit in the fuse. I don't remember the motor and prop though. I used setups per manual and it flew fine. Roll rate is very slow.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:35 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
80MPG might be fast enough, been flying a lot of 3D. Need to get used to forward flight again!

Great to hear about the throws in the manual, I will start there and see how it goes.

One small problem, threaded the screw for the control horn in the first aileron and it tilts slightly toward the fuselage. I will get a picture of it later. It shouldn't make too much difference, looks bad because it is so long.

That all for tonight.

Brian
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:01 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Well major assembly is finished, no really issues other than the predrilled holes for the control rods where off slightly, but not enough to worry about.

I got the Hacker C50-13XL mounted and attached a 20" prop...I only have 1.5" of clearance sitting on the tail wheel. Guess I will need taller gear before trying to fly.

Its always something!

Brian
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:16 AM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
More work this weekend...but missed my chance to maiden!

Since the C50 is lighter than an outrunner, I had to get the batteries against the firewall to balance and just barely at 3 1/4". Looks like lighter tail servos are in order. The HS-5624 are 2oz each and are mounted in the tail, so saving even a couple of ounces would make a BIG difference!

Later

Brian
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:58 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Assembly Complete!

Well, it took WAY longer than I expected, but the assembly of my Hangar 9 Sundowner Formula 1 is complete! All I need to do it charge the packs and wait for some better weather and it will be time for the maiden flight!

I had trouble getting the plane to balance, even with the packs against the firewall. So I found a use for a couple of NiMH packs I had laying around!

Yes, I know the spinner is too small, if the plane survives the maiden flight I will get a 3 1/4" and install the pilot.

Thank

Brian
Last edited by Brill 1; Mar 14, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:35 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Looks OK. Shorter packs would help CG as would bigger motor. Another reason large outrunners are great for conversions....oreweight further forward. God luck with the maiden.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:53 AM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Yup, there are many different combos that would work better. I had this setup from another airframe and it needed a home.

It is amazing how much the technology has improved in the 5 years since I bought this power system.

Brian