HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:39 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Jun 2009
200 Posts
Discussion
New to the board, could use some help.

Hi guys, my names Andrew, im stationed at travis. I live a good 2000 meters from your flying field. Everyday I run in lagoon valley and usually get a good show from you guys. Lots of different airframes, i'm impressed. I fight back the urge to get back into RCs. I've owned lots of stuff, but got out of the hobby for awhile.

Well i just got a little Blade MCX and the bug is coming back. Lucky for me i got some old electronics sitting around. That's where i need your help.

I got a 30a brushless esc, a 1800mah 15c 3s battery, and a 3800kv EDF, 2 servos, dsm rx, and dsm tx with elevon mixing.......

I know i know, build a wing! 2 problems, one the motor is 3800kv, so i cant just throw a prop on it and hope it works. Gonna get the setup bench checked tomarrow and try some props, but i think 4.1x4.1 may even be to much for this setup. can't really throw a ducted fan into a combat wing.

I was thinking of makin a flat foamie like the f22 that captain posted, but don't want to spend alot of money. I have a combat wings kit unbuilt in my garage. but don't know if my motor setup will work.

I don't want to spend alot of money, becuase there is a MSR and DX6i sitting in Hobbytown with my name on it.

What are your thoughts? Could i build a fan fold wing style (b2 anyone?) and put the EDF in it? I was thinking with the right sparing i could make a b2 KF airfoil style for cheap.

Well any help is appreciated, and im glad to meet you all!
timmins02 is online now Find More Posts by timmins02
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 03:47 PM
G Stanton
Dixon, CA
Joined Jan 2003
77 Posts
Welcome to the Lagoon Valley Group!

Welcome to our group of RC pirates. You might consider throwing a gear box on that motor you have to slow it down a bit. I don't particularly like using a gear box on an outrunner, but I have and it works. Or, tell me what size motor you think you need and I can spot you one. I have Lots of small outrunner motors and would be glad to help you get in the air. If you are interested in building a foamie from scratch, I can help with that too. I have a great 42" wingspan twin boom that is a modification of the old Funder and Lightning design that flies very well and is easy to make. Let me know and you can fly it, and if you are interested I can show you how to build it. I can also connect you to a bunch of on-line foamie designs that are easy to build.

Gary Stanton
1a1@sbcglobal.net
416-6080 (cell)
Gary Stanton is offline Find More Posts by Gary Stanton
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:23 PM
Joined Jun 2009
200 Posts
I am borrowing a friends wattmeter and i will be doing bench checks today. Next time anyone is going to the field let me know and ill drop by, would like to meet some of you guys, even if it means im just watching right now.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
200 Posts
Gary - your charity is greatly appreaciated! but the reason i can not go out and buy a new motor is simply becuase I am purchasing a MSR and a DX6i this month, so my hobby money is blown. I could not possibly take advantage of your offer.

But on a good note, i'm doing some bench checks today and so far everything looks good. My buddy gave me a wings kit and if all these electronics work out i may have a Combat wing with a full brushless/lip set up for less than 20 bucks! Can't beat that.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
200 Posts
bench checked current setup with a 4.7x4.7 prop and pulled 35 amps. Anyone got a 4.1x4.1 for testing purposes?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:31 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
timmins02,

Not sure how many people traffic through this site. Probably the local 20 die hard guys. So don't get mad if you don't get a response. :-)

- Richard
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Mar 06, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
200 Posts
its o.k., i like hearing my self talk.