Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:40 AM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
Discussion
Blade SR with DX6i

Hello,

I just go my new Blade SR. Love the heli, but not so crazy about the radio.

Would anyone share tips on how to properly bind and setup a DX6i with the new Blade SR?

I'd prefer using my DX6i vs the included radio. Beginner settings are welcomed...

Note: I had a failed first attempt playing with swash type and Reverse settings but the aileron input was inverted (left for right...). I thought of reversing the plugs on the radio, but after the tail motor went rogue on me (forgot to unplug it when I unplugged the main motor), I decided to leave it to the pros to determine what should be done before I wreck my new heli.

Thanks.
jfmsam is offline Find More Posts by jfmsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 02:36 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
First, unplug both motors until you get the servos all moving in the right directions. Swash type is 120*. Binding procedure is in DX6i manual, no point in copying it here.

The servo by itself at the front or back is ELE, corresponding to R stick fwd/back. FWD stick should pull/push the front of the swash down. If not, reverse ELE.

Two servos together are AIL and work opposite each other. R stick should pull R swash down. If not, reverse AIL.

I *think* RUD is reversed on BSR. Confirm this operationally with only tailmotor connected and operate at very low THR with clearance for tailblades and heli secured, that it's pushing the nose the appropriate direction.

To mimic BSR stock transmitter, set ELE and AIL to 70% mixing and 10% expo.

DX6i defaults to linear PIT and THR curves. Reset THR to 0-30-50-70-90. Reset PIT to 35-45-50-70-90.

Those will get you in the ballpark. If you get alternate figures from someone who owns both DX and BSR, go with those because I don't own BSR.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:52 PM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
@arbilab:
Thanks for the tips. They were a good starting point and made me realize what I had forgotten in the first failed attempt.

The key to getting the servos to work in the right direction was the negative swash mix for the AILE and ELEV.

I have not flown it yet with the new settings, but I ran some basic tests to confirm everything was working in the direction it was intended to. I'll try to fly it tomorrow, weather permitting, and compare radios.

Most of the settings below I borrowed from my Blade 400 setup.

The new DX6i settings for my Blade SR are:

D/R&EXPO
AILE 85% 20% Expo
ELEV 85% 20% Expo
RUDD 95% 20% Expo

TRAVEL ADJ
All 100% on both directions

GYRO (The yellow AUX lead needs to be plugged into the receiver)
SW-GYRO
66.5%

THRO CUR To be seen in flight...
0-30-50-70-90

PITC CUR To be seen in flight...
35-45-50-70-90

SWASH MIX
AILE -70%
ELEV -70%
PITCH +70%

REVERSE
THRO-N AILE-R
ELEV-R RUDD-R
GYRO-N PITC-N

SWASH TYPE
CCPM 190

Any other suggested settings, from pilots whom have bound their Blade SR to a DX6i or similar, are cordially welcomed to add to this thread.
Last edited by jfmsam; Mar 04, 2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Correct rudder REVERSE
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:13 AM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
First impressions:
- The DR&EXPO seem adequate.
- I can't yet tell the difference if the swash plate mix settings are helping or hurting as I don't understand them yet.
- On the suggested throttle and pitch curves:
The throttle for the most part was OK. I'd prefer for hovering a slower rotor.
The pitch curves need to be customized so that at full down L stick there is no negative pitch.

I'm a n00b so I just learned this the hard way while trimming the new radio.
While hovering between 3-4ft from the ground, I thought I was around midstick on my collective and pitch, but it turns out I could easily put negative pitch on the blades so when lowering the hover I accidentally forced landed and in all the chaos the blades struck the tail boom.

Fortunately I'll get my spares delivered later this afternoon.

So: word to the wise do your pitch curves observing the blades and make sure your lowest point on the stick has the blades at no less than 0 pitch.
There may be a different approach so the swash plate does not start so high, but I have yet to figure it out.

I'm rebuilding and I'll test my theory tomorrow.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:00 AM
British Columbia
Joined Oct 2008
343 Posts
Pretty well all 6 channel helis have a negative 1 or 2 degree pitch on the blades in normal mode. This is so you have some control in getting the heli down in windy conditions. Without negative pitch a lightweight heli like the SR will simply float away in the breeze. With negative pitch you have a chance to fly it down. You also have to retrain your left stick control away from 4 channel thinking.
ModeTwo is offline Find More Posts by ModeTwo
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:16 AM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModeTwo View Post
Pretty well all 6 channel helis have a negative 1 or 2 degree pitch on the blades in normal mode. This is so you have some control in getting the heli down in windy conditions. Without negative pitch a lightweight heli like the SR will simply float away in the breeze. With negative pitch you have a chance to fly it down. You also have to retrain your left stick control away from 4 channel thinking.
Thanks for pointing this out.

What I will do is re-bind the original radio and try to measure the default pitch across the stick travel (L-2-3-4-H) so as to come up with similar or close enough angles on the DX6i. I guess I can't go wrong with those values as a starting point.

I'd rather play with the curve than physically reseting the whole swash plate hight by adjusting the linkages. That way the SR can bind with the original radio with little or no modification.
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:37 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Expo is a matter of taste. I found higher numbers detrimental to control, even though I have a tendency to overreact and thought high expo would solve that. It actually made it worse, since I didn't get effective response from a small stick movement so I moved it a lot and of course the craft went all over the place.

So nobody can dictate expo since it depends on your needs and those of the specific aircraft.

Never change linkages to effect a pitch curve. Center stick must equal horizontal servo arms and zero mechanical pitch. That is, as setup with center stick = 50% on the curve. PIT curve doesn't HAVE to be 50% in operation but it does in setup.

You can always sort mixing inversions and channel reversals empirically but it would be much easier to know in advance what goes where. No way for me to know about inverting mixes to get BSR correct.

The craft I setup (HBCP) only required PIT mix inverted. I would have thought BSR would too, as it's the same down-swash = more pitch contrary to B400 and larger craft. There are so many mechanical variations--servo mount, horn mount, head design--that there isn't one standard.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 05:18 PM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
My SR is reassembled and flying again. Had to replace the blades, tail boom, main blade grip, and track the blades and flybar.

These are my updated settings for the DX6i:

PITC CUR They closely match the pitch angles of the stock radio
35-40.5-50-60-70
HOLD 30%

The swash plate has a lot of travel if not tamed with the curve. The lowest pitch angle with the stock radio was -1 and the highest was 10. I matched them on the DX6i but it is not behaving the same with my left stick.

With my right stick I modified DR & Expo to make it more to my liking. I can't say it matches the stock radio, but it worked fine.

D/R&EXPO
AILE 90% 10% Expo
ELEV 90% 10% Expo
RUDD 90% 10% Expo

It's definitely easier flying it with the stock radio.
As a whole I have it working with my DX6I but I couldn't match the settings, so I'm giving up for the moment.

Meanwhile hopefully someone with more experience than I, that has a Blade SR, can post settings that match the stock radio.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
I would carefully check your setting for the pitch amount. If you have it too high, your head will bind in both directions. I have the similar CP Pro 2 on my DX6i and have it set around 35. YMMV.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:27 PM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I would carefully check your setting for the pitch amount. If you have it too high, your head will bind in both directions. I have the similar CP Pro 2 on my DX6i and have it set around 35. YMMV.

Don
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean that "your head will bind in both directions"?

My only concern is to now figure out the proper pitch and throttle curves, and any other related setting, that would match the stock radio. That way I would have a starting reference point when using my DX6i.

I've asked Horizon Hobby for help in this topic and for the first time I have not gotten an answer to my email. They have been good on all other topics, but they are so stubborn in that the SR is meant for the beginner that it seems they will not support questions about BNF.
I wish Horizon Hobby would post an equivalent of a BNF solution for all of us whom insist on using our superior radios. Besides avoiding the hassle of multiple radios, because of the flexibility I prefer using my DX6i over the stock radio.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:42 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
The way Horizon is treating BSR reminds me of a line of dialog from Star Trek: "Only the eyes of a chief may see the E Plab Neesta." Well after all, the RTF programming is the only thing proprietary about it. Other than that it's just a (brushless?) BCP. So they're not going to publish it, even though withholding BNF and settings is pissing off more people than it's pleasing.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:46 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
If you have a number for the pitch that is too high, the three servos will drive the rotor head so it binds on the centre hub and the centre hub cap. Lower your number so that it is in the thirty-ish range. There are already setting posted in other threads that give you some decent settings. I don't have links to them but they are getting numerous.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Mar 09, 2010, 12:14 AM
South Florida
Joined Mar 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
If you have a number for the pitch that is too high, the three servos will drive the rotor head so it binds on the centre hub and the centre hub cap. Lower your number so that it is in the thirty-ish range. There are already setting posted in other threads that give you some decent settings. I don't have links to them but they are getting numerous.

Don
In my case my DX6i, with no pitch curve, will drive the Blade SR's swash very near the top with blade pitch angles beyond my pitch gauge.
If that is what I'm supposed to avoid, in my setup, I came up with a +10 pitch at the H slot of the curve maxed at 70%. The center hub is far enough from the top. Then again I'm a n00b, so I have no clue if that is what I'm supposed to do....

When I first posted there was little talk about the SR. It seemed that few had gotten theirs, as the backorder is huge.
I'll search for the settings on other threads to see what they have come up with. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:05 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Feb 2010
96 Posts
id be interested in knowing how your settings have worked out. i have a sr that id like to bind to a dx7.
sbchero is offline Find More Posts by sbchero
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:09 AM
Joined May 2007
130 Posts
My dx6i states "ccpm 120" or "1 servo 90" but no "ccpm 190" on swash type. What next?
singingperry is offline Find More Posts by singingperry