HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:40 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Anyone interested in buying Phantom, nearly new, and is the Southern Califorina area, my friend said he'd sell his for $100.00.

It would have to be a local pick up because it has the keel and mast bonded in place - for stability.

I'll get a few pictures of it later in the week when I see him.
If you have an interest shot me a PM.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Mike
I was shopping around and found this plane and thought you might be interested in checking it out. It is a foamie! Very cool.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14864
The Flying Fish - Hobbyking $89 + $30 shipping to US
Spec.
Wing Span : 1070mm
Length : 883mm
Flying Weight: 750g
Servo: 4 x 9g
Motor: 1200kv Brushless Bell-Type Outrunner
ESC: 20A w/BEC
4 Channel (throttle, elevator, rudder, aileron)

Includes:
Photo Instruction Booklet
All Hardware
Tools
Glue

Required:
Your own 4 Channel TX & RX
1300mAh 3s ~ 1800mAh 3s Lipoly Battery
Spec.

Includes:
All Hardware
Tools
Glue

Required:
Spec.

Includes:
All Hardware
Tools
Glue

Required:
Where does the sail, mast and keel go?
RC-Archer is offline Find More Posts by RC-Archer
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
One of the many features of a foam aircraft is the construction material permits random modifications with little or no real thought or skill.

I'd say you could find the CG of the plane, then armed with that data, you could stick a mast in the center of CG. The same for the keel. No problem.

This would serve as backup for sea recovery in the event the battery died.
Good thinking on your part.

Boomer

looks like I hit the paste button to hard sorry about that- I fixed it
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
Joined Dec 2007
439 Posts
OTO, I grew up in Mission Viejo. I used to sail at the pond in Rancho Santa Margarita. It is my favorite place to sail.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:41 PM
Bolingbrook, IL 60490
Joined Mar 2008
106 Posts
Quote:
Mike
I was shopping around and found this plane and thought you might be interested in checking it out. It is a foamie! Very cool.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14864
The Flying Fish - Hobbyking $89 + $30 shipping to US
Nice, but seems a bit expensive, especially incl shipping. Maybe when it comes to the us warehouse.

Hey if you put on a big enough sail, can you turn off the motor and save battery And would this then be a glider?

Mike
Hobby King HB-F-06 RC Sailboat Phantom-1.89m 1.7kg ballast

ParkZone Extra 300, ParkZone Wildcat, 3' Pitts
ParkZone Sukhoi BL upgraded 2 cells, 6' EZGlider with BL launch motor and FPV camera and Tx
Super Cub BL wt moded ailerons wt Turnigy lights for night flying, Tx DX7
Function over ALL else
my photography: http://BesPhoto.com
mikejbb is offline Find More Posts by mikejbb
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:57 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Archer View Post
OTO, I grew up in Mission Viejo. I used to sail at the pond in Rancho Santa Margarita. It is my favorite place to sail.
RC
Very cool - I agree that is nice min-lake to sail on. Nice area, places to eat etc.
We sail on the big lake "Lake Mission Viejo". Residence can rent very nice party boats by the hour and pack um up with all the RC boats, lunch, beverages etc. Very nice area for RC sailboats.
And you moved to where? Wow, that is a big change.
Boomer
Old May 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
I was over visiting the IOM thread and found some information that might be of interest to Phantom owners, or any of the other Hobby King sailboat owners.

One of my standing complaints about these boats is their sail winch set up. The first being that the set up they use has no tensioning devise to prevent sheet fouling. The other is that the servo tray they provide has to be removed and replaced to be able to install a standard sail arm servo arrangement.

When I saw this devise, tI hought perhaps this product might resolve my concerns. Check out this link: https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/...ing-Drums.html

I no longer have one of these boats, but were if I did I would certainly look into this product to learn if I could get one to fit in my boat. Food for thought.

Boomer

The RMG self tensioning drums allow for the elimination of tensioning devices in the sheeting system such as shock cord, rubber band material, hat elastic, springs etc. The spring loaded return spool in these drums takes up any slack and maintains a positive tension in the sheeting system
Old May 16, 2011, 03:14 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,611 Posts
Quote:
I was over visiting the IOM thread and found some information that might be of interest to Phantom owners, or any of the other Hobby King sailboat owners.

One of my standing complaints about these boats is their sail winch set up. The first being that the set up they use has no tensioning devise to prevent sheet fouling. The other is that the servo tray they provide has to be removed and replaced to be able to install a standard sail arm servo arrangement.

When I saw this devise, tI hought perhaps this product might resolve my concerns. Check out this link: https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/...ing-Drums.html

I no longer have one of these boats, but were if I did I would certainly look into this product to learn if I could get one to fit in my boat. Food for thought.

Boomer

The RMG self tensioning drums allow for the elimination of tensioning devices in the sheeting system such as shock cord, rubber band material, hat elastic, springs etc. The spring loaded return spool in these drums takes up any slack and maintains a positive tension in the sheeting system
Thanks,
So which one of these would I need for a Phantom?
https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/...sioning-Drums/
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old May 16, 2011, 05:32 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Thanks,
So which one of these would I need for a Phantom?
https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/...sioning-Drums/
I don't know, because I don't have a boat I can use to measure. I suggest contacting these guys and tell them what you have. They should be able to address your question.
Boomer
Old May 16, 2011, 07:40 PM
groundlooped
sydney nsw australia
Joined Mar 2005
294 Posts
www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com self tensioning drum -RMGD-42st $24.20aud available in left or right hand rotation ,depending on your sheeting arrangements
Cheers Col
groundlooped is offline Find More Posts by groundlooped
Old May 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,611 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old May 16, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
439 Posts
On a self tensioning drum, do you use a loop or can you use a single sheet line?
Old May 17, 2011, 11:16 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
I just sent an e-mail to these folks asking them for a response to the questions and to tell us how to select the correct item.

Since they are in Australia it may take a day or so to hear back. Stand bye.
I have posted their contact information below should you opt to contact them direclty.

Rob and Michele Guyatt
66 Radford Rd
Angaston SA 5353
AUSTRALIA

Email: rob@rmgsailwinch.com.au
Ph: 61 (08) 85642444
Old May 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I hpe you checked the prices. The RMG 280 winch costs considerably more than the complete Phantom
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old May 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykin View Post
None of my suggestions were extreme except for the extra ballast. It's simple physics that a 1.3kg bulb is too light for a 1m boat. IOMs have a 2.5kg keel + bulb and they have a longer keel fin than the Phantom.

Adding a loop of elastic to the line to maintain tension on a drum winch is standard. Not some exotic invention I dreamed up.

Get your boat sailing next to another 1m boat which is not Chinese. Note the differences in handling. Which boat tacks better, points higher and has less heel. And which boat sails for longer without breaking. Doing a few minor improvements will mean your boat is easier to tune, at less risk of components breaking and it will actually sail better. All this equates to more fun sailing.

LL.
How do I get heavier ballast on mu new (unfinished Phantom) Right now the bulb weighs 1680 grams.

Exactly where and how do I add the elastic (loop?) to the line?

Thanks,

Mr. Newbie Himself

(Actually I am an avid 3D flyer )