HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
Bolingbrook, IL 60490
Joined Mar 2008
106 Posts
HK USA warehouse got one RC Sailboat Phantom-1.89m (USA Warehouse) in stock last night at 11pm and I ordered it. It shipped today per usps! So I should have it late next week. I've been reading this forum and expect to have a lot of fun with her.

I sail a 13' Hobie Cat in the local lakes. I fly 2d and a little 3d planes and have a HK500 heli I've been hovering. This will be a lot tamer I hope and I will be able to sail in the retention ponds near my house.

I'm in Bolingbrook IL, if anyone is nearby send me a pm.

Mike
mikejbb is offline Find More Posts by mikejbb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:15 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Hey Mike
I am sure you will enjoy RC sailing. Just be sure you fix those things that have been so clearly discussed here and on other forums, and you should
be happy with your new boat.
The good thing is that the repairs/fixes are not expensive, and if you are at all handy with basic tools, you should have no problems.

Enjoy
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:19 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
672 Posts
I ordered one on Feb 14th. I sat at #9 on the backorder list until yesterday, when they finally got stock and shipped one out. Supposed to be here Wednesday.

...but at least I got the 1cent shipping promotion they were doing back in February!!! 100bucks shipped is pretty darn cheap. Can justify putting some cash into it to make it a "real" R/C boat.
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:04 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
I ordered one on Feb 14th. I sat at #9 on the backorder list until yesterday, when they finally got stock and shipped one out. Supposed to be here Wednesday.

...but at least I got the 1cent shipping promotion they were doing back in February!!! 100bucks shipped is pretty darn cheap. Can justify putting some cash into it to make it a "real" R/C boat.
Poltergeist
Honestly, the fixes are so simple there isn't really much cash needed. You'll need a drill, the right size bit to drill a few holes in the mast (4) of which one is already started for you, and the 4 little bolts, washers and nuts (SS if can find them) to through bolt the two mast pieces together.

The hardest fix is to stabilize the keel in the hulls keel pocket. On the boats I have seen, the fit is not very good, and needs to be secured or stabilized.

My friend used epoxy which corrected the problem, but made it more challenging to transport the boat, and to ship it if he ever wanted sell it. His view was, is that "it is a through away boat and if it breaks and I can't fix it, or get bored with it, I through it the trash."

That is one approach that works for some. I have seen one boat that the owner had wrapped what looked like Teflon thread tape around the part of the keel that fits in the hull to make a tighter fit. The idea was sound but suggest may not be the best way to shim up the gap. One fix I think was more professional was where the guy found a piece of plastic sheet the right thickness and bonded it to the keel making proper compression type fit. Shoved the keel in the pocket and used the factory provided nut to hold in place.

I am sure you can come up with a good way to correct the sloppy fit on your boat, if it comes that way. Not sure they are all the same.

My buddy still has his, sails fine, asked recently if I wanted to buy it, I told him no thanks and to tell me know when he was going to through it away.

Enjoy
Boomer
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:37 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
672 Posts
Boomer,

I'm never one to leave well enough alone, so my plans are to build (or maybe use a heli blade) a lighter/stiffer keel fin. I've already got a cast lead bulb to use instead of the shot filled stock one. If I can get access (I may cut my own) I'll build a trunk style keel attachent that should stiffen that up, as well as make it easy to remove.

Mast will be c/f, and a set of panelled sails too.

That's the plan, looking forward to getting my hands on the hull, to see how heavy it is. Of course I've got a Dumas runabout in-build now, so this is next in line!!!

Kevin
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Kevin
Sounds great to me. Back a ways in the thread, post #57 "lipdaddy" posted photos of his Phantom that he upgraded to Seawind mast and booms, and custom sails. I'll have go back to read the details of his upgrades. I don't remember what he did to the keel.

To be clear, it wasn't that the keel was to flexible, it was just loose in the keel pocke/socket. What shape will your new keel be? The stock one is kind of interesting.

I will be very interested to learn of how you changes work out. Please be sure to document your upgrades with photos and post them here for others to see and learn from. It will be interesting to see what these changes end up costing and how they work out.

You may recall that I had a Monsoon, the Phantom's little brother. I made the basic fixes and enjoyed sailing it for two years without issue. I still feel it was a good
boat for the money. Certainly, not the best RC sailboat out there, but a good boat to learn from.

Boomer

I looked up the mast set at Kyosho's web site for a Seawind ,and they sell the set for $38.00 and a set of replacement Seawind sails sells for $49.00. I think a set of Carr sails are about $125.00. You might want to check with Dennis at Walrus sails in AZ., he makes some very nice sails too and is often better priced. 480-227-3754 or email him at: dddsct@yahoo.com
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added additonal info
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
672 Posts
Somewhere I've read that the keel fins on these Shunbo boats aren't particularly stiff, and that they often come warped or are easily warped. Figure I can shape a balsa keel fin with a carbon "spine" and laminate a layer of C/F over the whole thing to make a nice stiff straight fin. Or if I can find a decent heli blade with a nice shape......

I've bought a set of sails for my V32 from Rod Carr. They are very nicely shaped...just a nice set of no-frills sails. My Dad has bought sails from D-Desprois too and they are also nice. Once I get the boat close to "done" I'll have to make a decision on sails.....but thanks for the info.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:04 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Kev
The keel on my old Monsoon was fine. I don't remember if the Phantom's was any more or less flexible. It is longer, so it could be a bit more flexible. You'll know soon enough.

Boomer
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:07 AM
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
What is the height of the mast and the draft of this boat?
alibodrum is offline Find More Posts by alibodrum
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:55 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibodrum View Post
This what is provided by HobbyKing
Spec.
Length : 1000mm
Height : 1890mm
Weight : 3460g
Area of Sails : 0.4m2
Ballast weight: 1.3kg (shipping empty require lead shot)

I can get that info for you later in the week, when I see my friend's Phantom.
Perhaps one of the members that has one at home can share that information.

Boomer
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
672 Posts
Quote:
I'll let you know after wednesday if/when mine shows up.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
I will appreciate your help, thank you in advance,
Ali.
alibodrum is offline Find More Posts by alibodrum
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Whitby, ON, Canada
Joined Apr 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
Mast is 54", Draft 16" .
Woodbark is offline Find More Posts by Woodbark
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
672 Posts
Mine arrived today, a day earlier than the tracking predicted. By my quick mock up, I'd put the mast height about 59" above the approximate waterline, and the draft at about 14.5" from the w/l. 73.5" from tip of the keel to top of the mast works out pretty close to the 1.89meter spec on the Hobby King page.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
Whitby, ON, Canada
Joined Apr 2011
25 Posts
RE: Ballast Weight

I am in the process of excessive compulsive improvements on my new Phantom with "ballast weight" being on the top of my list.

I have managed to easily get up to 2kg with room to spare, I'm sure I could get another .5 to .7kgs. in. For my purposes 2kg is a happy medium based on everything I've read so far.

For anyone interested: My method is solid lead fill, instead of lead shot. I cut the plastic bulb open and used the inside of the halves to cast 2 male plugs then used these to make the female molds (Plaster of paris works great).

I had to wait a week for the molds to dry out before doing the lead casting which by the way was the easiest part of the process. My guess is 2.5 to 2.7 Kg. if I had filled the molds completely.
Woodbark is offline Find More Posts by Woodbark