HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
Burpelson Air Force Base
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,089 Posts
Hi Larry,
Please,

I am aware you live in Australia, so do I.

I appreciate your posts & thanks.

I am a ultra newbie to SAILING.

Yes, Phantom bulb only takes 1.4kg.

I only wanted 1 yacht, no more.

I have said, I will modify things if they break.

Our sailing area is ok for me to rescue fast.

I would never leave any r/c in a car on a hot day. Jeez mate??

I am aware of ALL tips on the Phantom yacht.

Any yacht in OZ lhs I found of this size was so much more expensive.

I am aware you desire to help us newbies, but you go about it the wrong way. Your first post I had to google nearly every word. You obviously don't like anything of the yachts origins, so I will leave that one alone. Please read some earliar posts that I have seen a 2010 Monsoon, Phantom & other yachts sail together in slight wind, which is all we are going to do. I have no idea what the non - Chinese yachts were, as all yachts were on the water. Phantom overtook the non Chinese with ease, in this case.
You must too understand my frustration of owning this boat for a week now and not being able to sail her. It has been far too windy, as you should know for novices like me, living in Sydney Australia.
My friend and I with the Phantoms, will eventually sail with a man that has Chinese boats and others. Your welcome to join us and help if you wish?
Larry, don't get upset with my post. I have been boating for 30 years, just not sail. Have some faith in me wanting near stock. I have done some minor tweeks on the Phantom, but still very much standard. Indeed I will report back with results for Phantom haters and lovers. Indeed I will report to the maker too!
In all honesty, if you like photography, reading and boats, we should get along fine?
Peter
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:58 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Phantom -

Gents,
LL makes some good points and offers viable suggestions. I am not familiar with "most" of the boats from China. My experience has been limited to those boats Peter and I have been chatting about. I do believe they represent an affordable way to get into RC Sailing. Products made in China are a part of today’s reality. Not everyone is ready to scratch build their RC Boats, or may not even be interested in doing so.

Many folks who have RC Sailboats could care less about racing them. Having a good time with in one's budget, and with in their time constrains is the goal. I find this hobby to be a great way to de-stress, commune with nature, and share some quality time with folks who share a common interest. If racing is a part of that for you, I hope it brings you great joy.

I believe Peter will enjoy his new boat and like many, he'll find ways to improve the boats performance. (Perhaps even incorporating some of Larry's suggestions) If he really enjoys his new boat, it may lead him to move to another boat, perhaps more sophisticated. I have only been involved in RC Sailing since last October, and am happy to report I have learned quite a bit since getting on board.

For me, it is doesn’t matter how many boats one has, or has had. It is about having a good time, helping others where and when you can. I like doing things right and to the best of my ability. I have also learned not to take myself too seriously.

I enjoy this forum and have found it to be very helpful. It has allowed me to have made new friends around the world that I otherwise would never have had the opportunity to do so.
Enjoy your toys – and play nice.
Boomer 1
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:20 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest, again.

10x8 said "You must too understand my frustration of owning this boat for a week now and not being able to sail her. It has been far too windy, as you should know for novices like me... ".

If you had a boat that was not a light airs boat only, you would have been out many times already.

Learining to sail with a good breeze is infact easier than learning to hunt for the wind in very light airs.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:31 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
10x8 and Boomer1

Guys, I do apologise if I come off sounding like some sort of ratbag . Preaching about the evils of economy boats. Like I first wrote, my first 2 boats were both Chinese kit boats. I had the bad luck of buying boats which were utter . I have posted before listing the flaws in these boats. But that's an easy search to do.

10x8 -- I would be more than happy to sail with you. Send me a PM. Boomer1 wrote that this whole hobby is about having fun, learning new skills, photography and video (which is me), meeting new people and maybe eventually racing other RC boats. If you go to the IOM Discussion thread you will see posts of experienced RC IOM racers "slagging" each other. I have now made friends with people throughout the world. Most of them I do not offend . At the moment I'm helping several with their first scratch builds. Not bragging just saying I enjoy the contact and sharing.

My comments seem rude but that is not how I meant them to read. When typed it may seem that way. Being expedient. I was seriously just trying to help with getting a new boat owner off on the right foot. If not for the help of others here and at lakeside I would still be on wrung one of the ladder re knowledge of RC sailboats. I mentioned my experience merely as a way of showing I do have some credentials in this area. But this is all due from help and advice from others. I in fact wish they had been more honest as I know some of my first boats, which I scratch built, were rubbish. This I only know in retrospect as I have learnt and seen more.

Example -- I am new to IOM racing. Only started last year. Went down to the lake which is an hours drive from home. Met a guy with his IOM who has been racing for over 10 years. In 5 minutes he tuned my boat and we spent the next hour racing each other. I had spent 4 months asking advice on how to tune an IOM on this forum. Best advice is hands on. As an aside. His boat was a 'brand" name costing $AU3,500. My boat is homemade costing under $AU400. He beat me racing but only just. I had no topping lift. (Yes, I too had to Google everything 'cause I had no idea what they were talking about either (You'll need to learn weather helm and lee helm and how to adjust mast rake. Again not showing off. These are basic first day sailing.)

In conclusion - I do apologise if I seem abrupt in giving advice. In person I am more diplomatic. I tend to forget how excited I was when I bought my first RC yacht. Looked great!! But then I remember how it fell to bits after 10 minutes sailing. The plastic clevis on the rudder servo snapped. Then everything else went wrong the next few times I tried to sail. But hopefully this will not happen to you.

Once again --- please contact me if you live close enough we can sail together or I meet you half way. I live in Sydney South West. Meet at Putney Club for sailing Saturday arvo?

If you like RC boats here is a video I shot of one of my boats...... enjoy. RC boats are a thing of beauty. And meant to be relaxing..................

Larry

AU Class RC Yacht Test Sailing (8 min 55 sec)
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbay View Post

10x8 said "You must too understand my frustration of owning this boat for a week now and not being able to sail her. It has been far too windy, as you should know for novices like me... ".

If you had a boat that was not a light airs boat only, you would have been out many times already.
Learining to sail with a good breeze is infact easier than learning to hunt for the wind in very light airs.
Tigerbay --

Fair is fair............ I'm in Sydney and it has been too windy even for my boats. Wind gusts of up to 80 kph. Enough to knock down a 'C' rig.

No way you would maiden voyage an untried boat. No fun with wild wind and showers.

But the Phantom should handle moderate to light winds this week.

LL.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:09 AM
Burpelson Air Force Base
Joined Sep 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbay View Post

Thanks tigerbay - no hornets nest here, again. All good. Again, please read what our plans are with the yachts.

Peter
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:33 AM
Burpelson Air Force Base
Joined Sep 2005
1,089 Posts
Dear Larry mate,
No need for apology. You are obviously a skilled person at the yacht. I am not. I would love you to teach me the mastering of the boat. I will pm you and would very much like to meet in the future. Not sure of Putney, we will sail near Henry Lawson Drive?

I have no problem with "slagging" each other, but not until I know what I am doing?

All is good here, just waiting.

BTW - I put my phantom in the backyard on the stand with the excessive high winds & test my sails. To me, it is bliss. Neighbours laugh, Mrs laughs, but I am serious.
I too are looking for a break and relaxation, thus yacht.

Peter
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:55 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Peter,

just read your post. Made me laugh . What do they know. A grown man in his own backyard with a new toy yacht. RC boats are a beautiful thing. Better on the water. Less funny looks............

Will check PMs. Glad you are cool.

Larry.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:28 AM
Burpelson Air Force Base
Joined Sep 2005
1,089 Posts
Larry,
I am glad I made you laugh. I won't laugh if my Phantom sinks in the water.

Seriously, I would like to meet up one day & see your yachts. Please just give Bob and I a few sails before we do though. We wish to tack and learn to sail fast. We have printed diagrams from the net how to sail and they are stuck to our foreheads & TX's. Such novice'ness. We wish to do this by ourselves first before much embarrassment with our trainer and maybe you.

PM will be awhile yet. Thanks for being kind and friendly like boomer(Rick).

Peter
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:12 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Peter,

sailing an RC yacht is easy. Takes 5 minutes to learn. Sailing an RC yacht "well" takes a few hours.... maybe a few months. When you think you know how to sail well, try racing. Then you discover you know nothing .

One of the joys of this hobby is it is huge. Always something to learn. Even real yacht skippers find RC yachts a challenge.

I encourage people who, once they get the bug, to scratch build 1m boats. All up cost about $400. Benefit is you cannot buy a boat like that for the price. Simply not available.

But, baby steps first. I am 5 minutes drive from Lake Chipping Norton at Warwick Farm. Good safe place to learn as has a sheltered beach.

Feel free to PM for a sailing rendezvous.

Larry.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:38 PM
Eaton,NY
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
10X8

Right on Mate, I recently sold my Lightning that had been in the family for many years to a friend who refurbished the boat to (like new) and is now interested in the rc boats. His budget is limited so the Chinese boat is attractive.I have finished my ETNZ and am along with a Soling. Their are no clubs in our immediate area but I have 6 other chaps building and we should have a great time without getting too sticky with class rules and such. Just want to have fun (and maybe a beer or so). I have passed your comments on to Jack and looks like he will have a go with a Phantom. How are yours and buddies working out?
Fair winds and close hauling.

Big Cubs
Big Cubs is offline Find More Posts by Big Cubs
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
Here's my Phantom. The original hardware is junk plain and simple. The hull on the other hand is actually pretty nice for the price. I’ve replaced everything above the deck. It has a Seawind mast and Carr sails. All the rigging was redone with braided nylon. The original drum winch servo hasn’t given me any problems, but I did reline it also with braided nylon. The rudder servo was junk, so I threw in a standard Futaba servo I had lying around. There’s more money in hardware and the sails than the original cost of the boat. In the end it was worth it, it’s a blast to sail.
lipdaddy is offline Find More Posts by lipdaddy
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
West Palm Beach , FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,062 Posts
The Soling is not a boat for a beginer builder.
ARCHER7153 is offline Find More Posts by ARCHER7153
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:16 PM
Burpelson Air Force Base
Joined Sep 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cubs View Post
10X8

Right on Mate, I recently sold my Lightning that had been in the family for many years to a friend who refurbished the boat to (like new) and is now interested in the rc boats. His budget is limited so the Chinese boat is attractive.I have finished my ETNZ and am along with a Soling. Their are no clubs in our immediate area but I have 6 other chaps building and we should have a great time without getting too sticky with class rules and such. Just want to have fun (and maybe a beer or so). I have passed your comments on to Jack and looks like he will have a go with a Phantom. How are yours and buddies working out?
Fair winds and close hauling.

Big Cubs
Hi Big Cubs,
I think I am the only person that has had a Phantom for nearly a month and not sailed her? I think my friend has a spot on the brain as he put hot glue in the keel bulb and it distorted the shape and went all soft. I wait on him as he has the van. I ride bikes. Maybe I need a sidecar mate?
Fear not, when we maiden I will tell, warts and all.

Lipdaddy - I can agree rudder servo was junk, absolute. Your boat looks very nice.

Peter
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Generally

Hot glue and boat modelling don't mix.

But it made me smile.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay