SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:44 AM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
The little plastic deals are called "Bowsies"
huh. learn something new everyday! thanks!
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:53 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Hang on to the Bowsies -

Peter
You will still need bowsies for the lines that operate the sails. The SS leader would not be a good choice for that operation. (That is pretty obvious, sorry)
Hope you get the boats wet soon.
You may wish to consider an adult beverage or two (To celebrate the maiden voyage) as well chairs and lunch.
Rick
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 09, 2010, 11:59 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Forgot to address your question RE;Tamiya Round the World

Peter
You asked if the Yamaha was a Tamiya product. Yes, indeed it is. Back in the late 90s Tamiya made two very nice 1/20 scale RC Sailboats. Basic Specifications Scale: Yamaha Round the World 1/20 Overall Length: 985mm, Overall Height: 1814mm, Overall Width: 264mm. The other Tamiya = 40EX 600mm Overall width - 194mm Overall height - 1110mm Mast height - 810mm Sail area - 16.8d meter square -Both are replicas of real boats and beautifully detailed. Unfortunately, they were discontinued, some time around 2000 or 1999. They have become almost extinct. Those who have them tend to keep them for a long time. The Yamaha Round the World was modeled after the real boat than won this race in 1994.

It took me almost 5 months to find mine. I got very lucky, as I found one, new in the original box. I then began a search for the crew kit Tamiya made for this boat. I got lucky again, and found one in Hong Kong. Again, new in the original box. I paid through the nose for that, but this item too, is as rare as henís teeth. (More expensive)

I have done a little research on the Yamaha Round the World boat and race to learn as much as I could about it. If you are not familiar with this race it is an amazing accomplishment just to finish the race let alone win. Another name for this race is "WHITBREAD" Round the World yacht race. This boat was skippered by Ross Field (NZ) Class W60 it took 120 days 14 hours

I found this article during my reseach:"Many consider this to be the ultimate race around the world -- a trip of nearly 36,000 miles. It would be a race that pushed the endurance of the crews and boats to the outer limits as they navigated sweltering Doldrums, freezing oceans filled with icebergs, and gales that blew unabated for weeks on end -- a race that would be considered the Mt. Everest of ocean racing.

Such a race would have no equal in sports. No other competition would ask so much of both man and equipment. No other event would put so many competitors at such risk, for so long, so far from help."

My thought was if this boat was good enough to win this race, it certainly would be able to handle the mild conditions I would ever expose it to.
After sailing my smaller version in mild to heavy winds (15 knots) I can see why this boat won the race. She is very competent craft.

Hope this wasn't to boring for you.
Rick.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:19 PM
Cookie
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
Hi Rick,
Hmmm, the Tamiya is very nice. I still have all my Tamiya booklets from 80/90's and your yacht is in them and the crew. I do recall seeing the yacht at Hobbyco along long time ago. I went searching for the crew with no luck.
No I won't throw anything away from the phantom. My friend called me at midnight informing me he has finished. We planned for today to have a sail, but it is raining and very windy.
Ah well, wait more I suppose. I just want to tack.

See you

Peter
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Old Mar 09, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
Hi Rick,
No, your not boring me.

Due to no sailing again, I'll post 2 pics of my Yamaha Round the World 'Phantom', dry docked of course, still.

There is a young aussie chick, Jessica Watson I think, age 16, sailing around the earth by herself.

Non sailing, non wet boat Peter
Last edited by 10x8; Mar 16, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:12 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Great looking boat!

Peter
Very nice. Love the wild sail colors. In one of your pictures, there is another boat hiding behind a wall. Like to see that one too.
Hang in there, the weather will clear soon. Hope to see some pictures with the boat in the water.
Rick
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:32 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
Thanks Rick,
The other boat is my Dads Liberte fire ship. He built it back in the 80's. All wood, hull, decking, everything made from kit. It was just sitting around in his garage gathering dust. Hull had cracked from age The boys and I have painstakingly fixed it up for him. He had a 540 car motor in it if I recall and we only used it in the pool. I replaced the motor with a bigger 12v jobby and use a gel cell. Also put a bow thruster in it for sharper turning. He put concrete in it for ballast.
One day, I have to get the working pumps and hoses for him and replace the static water cannons. Also put in an ear piercing siren that detects water for the odd water leak.

Peter

PS - Sorry any yachters for off topic.
Last edited by 10x8; Mar 16, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:35 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
super boat.

Peter,
Let me know when you get her back in the water. That is real a treasure.
Rick
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:42 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Phantom Basics to Sail

I have just finished reading all the posts on this thread.

Having owned 2 of these Chinese kit boats (different models) and I offer the following advice.

Drum Winch -- to prevent the drum winch from despooling add elastic to the line. This will keep the line under tension and prevent it from unravelling.

Keel Fin -- I know on my Chinese boats the keel fins were made of hollow plastic. If you leave the boat in the sun laying on its side the fin will bend. To straighten I had to poor boiling water over the fin and stand the boat in vertical position. Maybe Phantom keel fin is better quality than my boats. Hope so.

Sidestays -- definitely use turnbuckles with wire trace instead of bowsies with cotton line.

Boom Outhaul -- consider adding outhaul on booms to adjust sail camber. Should be able to place 2 fingers between boom and sail foot, for sailing in light winds. No camber (flat) only for strongest winds.

Jib Leech / Mast Slot --
photos show the space between jib leech and mast to be too large. Should be approx. 12mm. Consider moving jib pivot point on the jib boom.

Jib Topping Lift -- Add a line with bowsie to jib boom end and jib headstay on mast. Adjusts leech shape on jib to match mainsail leech. Very important.

Ballast Bulb -- on a 1 metre RC boat the bulb should weigh approx. 2.3kg. This of course is a function of keel fin length. The shorter the fin the heavier the bulb must be to counteract the boat's heeling moment. The ballast on the Phantom is far too light to sail in anything but the lightest of breezes. (check boat's specs.)

I recently watched a Monsoon on its maiden voyage. Spent most of the time heeled over almost flat on the water. This in moderate wind. The headsail looked more like a spinnaker. Flat sails boat could not tack. Boat was flooded with water from heeling so much. Poor owner had no idea why his boat was junk even though he had built exactly as per instructions. His maiden voyage was half an hour of trying to get boat to turn and finally struggling to return to bank. He now owns a $400 static display model.

If you visit a club and watch real RC yachts sailing you will be able to see the difference between them and a Chinese kit boat trying to sail.

Good Luck
LL.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:40 PM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
Thanks LL for your tips.

Peter
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
IMO, the Monsoon tacks well and the headsail doesn't look like a spinacker. Here's a video taken TODAY. The weather was great for a change and I happened to think about my old Monsoon. I've got other boats now and haven't sailed the Monsoon in over a year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ydph_UBWsw
Here's another video taken two years ago when I first got the Monsoon.
monsoon 900 rc sailboat (0 min 58 sec)

BTW, I have never needed elastic on the drum winch, my keel fin doesn't bend in the sun, I haven't seen the need for expensive turnbuckles, and adjustable camber for sails came standard on my old Monsoon.
Looking at those Phantom pictures now, I'm almost tempted to get one.

Jack
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:17 AM
Cookie
Joined Sep 2005
1,252 Posts
Thanks Jack so very much.

larrykin posted as if I am professional and I think, negative towards our phantoms. My phantom is beautiful, has no plastic or need for elastic on drum winch & keel does not bend in sun either.

Peter
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:35 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Monsoon - Phantom performance -

LL,
It appears the manufacturer of the Monsoon has made a few improvements in the recent past. I got mine in Oct of 2009 and have had no problems with the boat's drum winch. It performs perfectly. So well, that I ordered a spare to use on another boat. Perhaps your boats came with different winches?

The keel fin on my Monsoon and my friend's Phantom are both solid. We can carry the boats by the keel fin, with no issues.

The factory side stays on my boat function satisfactorily. Nonetheless, I am re-rigging the boat with SS coated leader, and SS turnbuckles this weekend. The benefits are worth the cost. They look nice too.

The factory suggests for the Phantom 1.3kg or heavier for the ballast. I found more weight (3 lbs.) works well on my Monsoon. The boat sails great! I experimented with my ballast weight to determine the ideal weight before adding the resin to pod.

I'd have to measure the fin/ballast length on the Phantom vs. the Monsoon to see what the difference is between the two boats. The Phantom is a longer boat, so some additional ballast would be worth considering. 2.3kg or 5.070 lbs. is a big jump. If it were me, I'd try a few different weights to find the ideal load. (1.3 seems a bit light to me too.)

I have no issues with my sails. (Your suggestions are appreciated.)

The fellow you mentioned taking the maiden voyage on his Monsoon, certainly had an unfortunate, and discouraging day. Sadly, the leaking hatch was avoidable and likely the other issues.

I mentioned in previous entries, changes I made to my Monsoon, prior to it's maiden voyage, one of which was to properly seal the hatch and rudder well. Many factory made boats like these, come with improperly designed seals.

The brain trust at the factory provides a rubber band and some cheap open cell foam, hoping that it will keep water out. DER! Idiots............... I am sure there have been many "new bees" that have ruined their electronics because of the factory's stupidity, and the "new bees" ignorance of such things. The Phantom has a better hatch design than the Monsoon, but still requires some mods to make it water tight.

I have read every blog I could find on the Monsoon and have read both good and not so good comments. My personal experiences have been positive. Iíve concluded this to be one nice boat for the price. HobbyKing sells this boat for about $102.00 USD plus $50 or $60 for shipping to US. That is a very attractive price for a boat needing only a battery pack and radio/receiver. (And a few tweaks)Since I had those, I consider this one of the better values out there. (My opinion, which the value of, is always questionable)

One day, when I retire, I am going to scratch build my own RC Sailboat. For now, I am having great fun with the boats I have. Love them all. Tweaking them and adding my own touches is half the fun.

Be well guys
Boomer1
Rick
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 12, 2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
The jump from 1.3 kg to 2.3kg is not actually that big when you consider the maths.
Bear in mind that volumes (and displacement/need for ballast) will increase by a factor of power 3 (cubed) when you scale up.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:18 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x8 View Post
Thanks Jack so very much.
larrykin posted as if I am professional and I think, negative towards our phantoms. My phantom is beautiful, has no plastic or need for elastic on drum winch & keel does not bend in sun either.

Peter
I wrote that these were suggestions to improve the boat's performance. If not for you then for other readers who may appreciate advice. Hence to increase their enjoyment in sailing a more seaworthy and reliable boat. A professional would be sailing an IOM.... but a "newbie" by definition is still learning this hobby. If your Phantom sails perfectly straight out-of-the-box; well done. Most kit boats from China do not and are infamous for poor quality fittings.

None of my suggestions were extreme except for the extra ballast. It's simple physics that a 1.3kg bulb is too light for a 1m boat. IOMs have a 2.5kg keel + bulb and they have a longer keel fin than the Phantom.

Adding a loop of elastic to the line to maintain tension on a drum winch is standard. Not some exotic invention I dreamed up.

I live in Australia. Summer temperatures here get up to over 40įC. If you leave a boat, with a plastic keel fin, in the sun, or the car, at these temperatures it will bend. Means your bulb will be pointing off at an angle. Solid plastic keel fin.... a regulation keel fin should have no more than 5mm of flex over its length. Keel fins are normally made of composite materials and are rigid. Maybe the Phantom has a perfect fin impervious to heat or bending. To test hold the boat out, fully rigged, horizontally, while only holding the bulb. Any bending?

My post was aimed at newcomers who may own a Chinese kit boat. All of these suggestions were the bare basics. If you search this forum some modifications include throwing away everything but the hull and starting again. Including all ferrous deck fittings which will rust. My suggestions were less drastic.

Get your boat sailing next to another 1m boat which is not Chinese. Note the differences in handling. Which boat tacks better, points higher and has less heel. And which boat sails for longer without breaking. Doing a few minor improvements will mean your boat is easier to tune, at less risk of components breaking and it will actually sail better. All this equates to more fun sailing.

Am I negative towards these boats? You bet. But I know that for an introduction to RC Yachts they are a cheap start. Sadly when people describe their Chinese RTS boats as Ready-To-Sink they get put off. I currently own 3 RC boats. At one stage I had seven. I now scratch build IOMs from my own moulds. As a newbie I appreciated advice from those with some experience. There is being negative and then there is trying to guide newcomers as a way of helping.

I look forward to your posting after you have sailed a non-modified Phantom for over 10 hours in moderate winds. Then the simple mods may look like a good idea. Especially if there are other boats on the water where you can compare boat speed and handling. One broken jibstay costing 5 cents can mean losing a boat. It's happened to me.

LL.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin