SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
Phantom maiden....I can't sail too good (4 min 5 sec)
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 04:27 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
w/rod rigging & ready to go:
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Last edited by jrb; May 21, 2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added rig sketch
Old May 05, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
just got my new Phantom the other day, interesting to see what others have done with theirs so far. Today was its maiden and it did well i think , considering ive never done a sailboat in rc or 1:1. Im shure my setup isnt optimal, had some issues with the lower main sail boom pivot breaking the lower piece off where the bolt passes threw it. fixed it the old fashioned sailer way though , by wrapping it with braded fishing line its now probubly stronger than original. lol. ive read theres some issues with the winch and would report mine seems to be bind free and will just spit out line into the hull if theres no wind on the sails to pull it. the maiden went great. I took on no water and the 2.7 lbs of ballast seemed to allow it to lean over in a stronger gust though not so much that i was draggin sails threw the water...... much. probubly does need more ballast in strong windy conditions though i really want to see how well it will do for myself before adding more weight. the rudder servo does have some considerable amount of play though considering its application(IE: not being a 1/12 car zipping around a carpet track)it seemed to keep its track pretty well. cheap enouh to replace a standard servo anyway. i ran it around for almost 2 hours on a 1500mah 3s lipo and a 3amp bec, not one to trust AA battery packs, i found this to work well and was left with quite a bit of reserve battery, i think a 800 to 1000 mah 3s pack would be perfect with the bec. i did find that the tensioners on the rigging lines tend to break easy, also found that a end off a servo arm with three holes will work just as well , lol. all in all my mini review is a thumbs up for someone wanting to get there feet wet in rc sailboating without a huge outlay of cash to start with(if purchased from hk(USA)) though ive seen this going for 200 or more at some sights and this price puts it too close to some of the more upscale boats that can be had in that price range. couple things i think i migh do with this are better sails and rigging. the cheap plastic stuff doesnt really do anything for me except make me worry if im going to get to the pond and find something broke off.
bada61265 is offline Find More Posts by bada61265
Old May 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Did get a maiden in!

Yesterday was beautiful here in the Twin Cities – near perfect temps, few clouds; not a lot of wind.

So, I went flying – 4 or 5 flights on the Cub and another 3 or 4 on the Groovy:

Jim's (JRB) Hangar 9 25% Cub Electric Conversion (2 min 18 sec)

groovey 90 RC EP airplane WATTS SMMAC 2010 (7 min 3 sec)

Could barely feel the wind -- mostly out of the NW 6 or less; occasionally swinging to the SW.

Decided after flying to go to the pond, if for nothing more than a dry run.

Leaves were just dancing in the tree, branches barely moving – wind was just visible on the water, no waves cat’s paw at best.

Maybe 3mph mostly from the west; but a little shifty – affected by the surroundings of the pond (City Park/pond w/boat club -- http://www.emyc.org/ ).

Stood by the tree on the pier.

Phantom did well – even ran wing & wing!

Jib needs a little more “curve” – too flat from the factory; and might need to trim it out just a tad too.

Out haul came undone so speed dropped of part way through the mission.

Tacked nicely didn’t get hung in irons; jibes were nice too.

A masthead apparent wind indicator might be a nice addition?

No pics or vid – was all alone.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:38 AM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
good to hear JRB!
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old May 25, 2012, 08:32 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Made an Apparent Wind Indicator – surveyor tape & CF rod

Tapped the mast head, threaded the rod, and CA the tape to the rod.

Here’s how it fits in the LR4; put a leg so the mast doesn’t rest on the arm rest.

Stored hung on the wall in the garage – a bag for twin mattress fits great!
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Another outing yesterday -- steady winds @ flying field, not @ pond .

Over all am happy with the boat -- hoping for better wind conditions @ pond.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:52 AM
Joined Aug 2004
105 Posts
Sorry I made a new post here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823537
orck is offline Find More Posts by orck
Last edited by orck; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: sorry i made a new post
Old May 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Bump!

Haven't been out as of yet; ice left about 3 weeks ago.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:05 PM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,344 Posts
jrb
are you a member of EMYC ?

hope to see your phantom around as I was thinking it might be a fun boat?
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:24 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
I'm not; only got out a couple times last year -- haven't as of yet this year .
Old Aug 04, 2013, 06:55 PM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Phantom with tiller arm modification

So I've had this thing lying about for a year or so now, and finally gotten around to replacing the sail winch with a tiller arm made from 1/16" G-10. A calculation of the trigonometry of the boom deflection suggested a double-throw system with a 4.5" tiller arm (more or less). To fit this into the hull, I offset the 150 oz analog servo on a plywood plate bolted to the top of the supplied servo tray. A battery box was cut into the space between the sail and rudder servo, and a waterproof Rx switch with LED indicator affixed to the deck in front of the access hatch. My first "smoke test" suggests I have about an inch too much boom deflection, so something in the order of a 4" arm would probably have been adequate. For now, I'll just use end point adjustments to limit the servo travel.
More to report when the standing rigging is in place ... replacing the supplied cordage with Spectra line, and brittle bowsies with Pekabe stuff.

PJ
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright
Old Aug 04, 2013, 08:00 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,087 Posts
Why a big servo arm like that? Why not the drum style rig it came with?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:51 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
153 Posts
I have a Thunder Tiger ETNZ, the Hull looks identical to the Phantom. The fin, rudder, mast/booms, seem to be the same. The steel ballast weighs 1.8Kg. The Phantom main sail is smaller, this will help with the viscious windward helm that the ETNZ suffers from.
I moved the mast 30mm forward and took 25mm off the roach of the main to control it .
I have rigged mine with a closed loop system under the deck for the sheeting, replaced all the stock rigging with 80lb Spectra. Uses a Hitec 785 winch, 2.5 turns for full out sheets.
I had to fit seals to the top and bottom of the rudder shaft to control a small leak.

See posts 297 and 321 in this thread for more details and pix's http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697723
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:47 AM
Indifferent User
Chattanooga
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I tried one boat with the drum winch, and didn't like how it seemed prone to fouling, Dead - so it was (a) closed loop system like Kiwi did; (b) tension cords on the sheets; or (c) idiot-proof tiller arm as on the old Seawind I've been sailing. [Then I saw these after-market self-tensioning drums hit the market ... may give one a try some day.]
By the way ... any tips on extracting the short plastic mast joiner so I can install a longer one? It seems to be pretty intent on staying put!
;-)
PJ
pjwright is offline Find More Posts by pjwright