HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:10 PM
Eaton,NY
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
Question
Hobby King Phantom

Hey Guys, I am a new wannabe sailor and looking for a good 1-meter. Does anyone have a comment on the Phantom?

Thanks
Big Cubs is offline Find More Posts by Big Cubs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:34 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
Are you looking for a One meter to race?
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Mar 03, 2010, 03:00 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
The Chinese boats can look very attractive for the price on the box. Unfortunately, there have been many instances where the quality of parts and the finish and basic design faults have led to so many alterations being necessary that they end up as or more expensive than other boats. They also tend to be only suitable for sailing in moderate breezes. Note that the Phantom is also described as having a carbon effect hull i.e. black.
For a beginner, I would have a look at the Victor Soling 1M http://www.victor-model.com/Soling_1_Meter There are so many sailing in the USA, that there's probably a club near you that'd be happy to help you and see you swell their ranks.
See http://www.theamya.org/clubs/
From what I've heard, Victor is a very good company for after sales service, and that's something you can't put a price on.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Aug 2006
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Are you looking for a One meter to race?
I am. The big problem I see with the phantom is the $75 shipping.

Could you recommend a kit that is inexpensive and available in the us?

Thanks!
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:40 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,820 Posts
What is inexpensive?

Normal cost for a good, racing 1 meter would begin at about $300-$400 if YOU build. If you plan to purchase ready to sail, then $800 might be a better, starting budget number.

There is stuff much cheaper to be found, but either you will need to do major modifications ($$$) to get it to be a good sialing model - or it won't be class legal (or no such class) and you are doomed to race yourself.

The above noted recommendation for a Victor Products SOLING is probably a "best buy" as it is a limited difficulty construction, and if built to class specifications might be easy to sell. Buy a Chinese boat and ship to US and enjoy finding "someone" (anyone?) for warranty, missing parts, or assembly help. Then once assembled, you were already made aware of issues that might need to be modified, and short of that - be sure you have a big mantel on which to display it as a static model.

As a secondary thought - did you take the time to read the very fiirst "sticky" post of the forum? Folks spent a bunch of time with comments and recommendations about various classes or designs.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Mar 04, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
If you want to race, get a compliant boat. I believe that the Chinese boats are built for a different class that is not used in either the USA or western Europe. Then there are the other issues about build quality.

Another important thing to consider. Do some research on local clubs.
Find out what your nearest club/clubs are sailing. Then you can compete in one of the classes that they use. Also some clubs you may feel more at home in than others.

Some clubs are highly competitive, and guys spend lots of money on some classes. Some classes are cheaper than others. In some classes boats cannot be modified for racing. This means you don't have to spend money upgading. Whereas wiith IOMs you may be competing against people who have spent over $1000 on a carbon fibre hull.

By visiting a club or two you can gets lots of information about the boats they sail, and about how they treat racing, and about costs. As well as getting other useful information on building your new pride and joy.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:07 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbay View Post
Whereas wiith IOMs you may be competing against people who have spent over $1000 on a carbon fibre hull.
IOM class allows carbon fiber hulls?

Yes to mast, booms, keel and rudder...... but ???
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:28 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
IOM class allows carbon fiber hulls?

Yes to mast, booms, keel and rudder...... but ???
No carbon in mast or booms either. The USOM allows it though, I think.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 03:39 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,820 Posts
DOOOH - Right you are Martin -

IOM is aluminum or wood rig and must be round and fit through a specific diameter sized hole.

US1M is governed by length, keel depth and sail area - plus 2 channel control - materials are not regulated (except for lead bulb).

Apologies, and sorry for mixing my classes. ODOM is more restrictive than IOM just as a reference.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
[QUOTE=Dick L.;14508501]]...Victor Products SOLING is ... a limited difficulty construction...

After doing a google search, it doesn't appear that way to me, especially for someone looking for a "almost ready to sail" boat, unless they really want to build something. Epoxying, drilling, sanding, painting, etc... One of the references below even has a section called "3. A Non-Trivial Project". 30 hrs or so and several weeks for construction. Also, flaws and limitations with corrections are recommended, and using(building) a jig. But in the end I'm sure you end up with a very nice Soling 1 boat.
I don't want to defend the constantly criticized "Chinese" boats. I actually owned and sailed a Monsoon a few years ago. They have flaws and things to be fixed, but I think the criticisim is sometimes overdone and just repeated. And classes and organized racing are not something everyone is concerned with.
References:
http://www.soling1m.com/uploads/2003...lding_Tips.pdf
http://www.soling1m.com/uploads/2009...lding_Tips.pdf

Jack
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:17 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=14796.0 is a good build thread on the Monsoon and may serve to indicate that a fair amount of work would also be required on the similar Phantom to be ready to sail.
I'd say one of the big disadvantages to the cheaper boats is that the numerous minor difficulties can cause a beginner to become frustrated and lose interest in sailing generally.
I should also say in passing that I was once invited by the Monsoon manufacturer to do a review of the boat http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677484 but after a misunderstanding concerning shipping costs, this was not carried out. Probably a good thing as it would have been difficult to match the build thread linked earlier.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:19 AM
Burpelson Air Force Base
Australia, NSW, Petersham
Joined Sep 2005
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Big Cubs said Hey Guys, I am a new wannabe sailor and looking for a good 1-meter. Does anyone have a comment on the Phantom?

Thanks
Hi Big Cubs,
I am wannabe sailor myself.
A friend and I both purchased the Phantom from H/K and the boat arrived yesterday to OZ. Mine had a non working rudder servo and my friends radio tray had come loose. Shipping is very expensive as they will only do ems. If air mail, it will be smashed, so they don't offer normal shipping.
We looked at the yachts beforehand in OZ lhs's, and they were $350 up to $400. Even with shipping, phantom is a bargain. I replaced the servo no problems and my friend reglued the tray no probs. Few other tiny probs, but I'm sure that is because we have never owned yachts before.
Now the good news. The hull is beautiful. Indeed is carbon effect and it looks absolutely top notch. Carbon look keel, hull, rudder, mast and bits of the top deck. Instructions boggled me, but I ended up figuring it all out. I am using DX7 radio.
I have it setup sitting in front of me. I am more excited over my first yacht than f/e tunnels, over powered reef racers, jet boats, nitro tunnels and even all my cars.
I am extreme novice yachtsman, but I highly recommend the Phantom mate. Tonight, it is setup and ready to sail. I have never seen a sail winch servo work before & what it does to the sails. This is adding to my excitement seeing it all work.

Peter
10x8 is offline Find More Posts by 10x8
Last edited by 10x8; Mar 06, 2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: quote
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2006
783 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked out the local club. they sail solings, us1m and 12m. they are actually holding a little us1m regatta this weekend.

I think solings are slow and boring and the 12ms are too big/expensive. the 1m seems about right and looks decent and modern. that's why I am interesting in one.

I'm just looking for something to get out and race with occasionally that isn't super expensive and is pre-built. I have a radio so all I'd need for electronics are servos. I haven't studied the phantom's dimensions, but it looks like (and others have commented on hk's site) that it is us1m compliant. I'm guessing that if I showed up with one they would let me race it if it was close enough and I didn't end up winning.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2006
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
No carbon in mast or booms either. The USOM allows it though, I think.
I went to the us1m regatta today and there were definitely boats with carbon hulls. I didn't look at the rigging close enough to see if they had carbon spars as well.

these boats are a lot faster than my old fairwinds was. looked like a blast!
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:11 PM
North Carolina
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Hi Derelicte, US1M have and are allowed carbon spars. Enjoy the Phantom
Norman
Norman22 is offline Find More Posts by Norman22