Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Chuck,

That's good info regarding the off-brand components. Thanks.

What about servos? I've heard people like the Power HDs. What's a good replacement for the HS65mg? I've been having great experience with HiTec servos, JR as well.

Also, I've had great luck with Torque motors. Hackers are alright, basically anything with a bolt on adapter is what I go for. Motrolfly looks pretty keen to me these days. The Omega motors from 3DHS are inexpensive, I like them as well. I have a Reaper in service, but I'm really not sure that company is on the up and up at the moment.

I'm not a big fan of Castle ESCs. Their stuff is highly regarded, but my experience has been less than great, much futzing about with frequency and calibration, etc. Not to mention I had to spend over an hour de-installing/de-soldering my CC Pro from my Vyper to send it back for peace of mind. Plug and play, install and forget go a long way with me. Not that I don't get with maintenance and inspection, safety first!

Oh yeah - gotta say that I am loving the stylish looks of all the EG planes! That Slick is a monster, Chuck.

e
I don't think, at this time, there is a good substitute for that servo. Its simply a great servo at a reasonable cost. Luckily, I don't have need for those servo's these days, but when I do, its the 65hb or mg that gets my business.

I've tried others, including the Hextronics digitals, but the 65's are just good.

Now a servo that I'm finding that is a fantastic one and very fast as well as strong is the Power HD DS090mg digitals.

These are installed in my Redwingrc MX2 30cc.
wow those are good for a great price.

Torque's are a good motor. You are just paying for the name.
If you look around, you will find the same motors without the markup.

I agree though, its hard to put a price on customer service. The two main companies that sell torque are extrememly great at customer service.

I've read about how people love their reaper motors. I've also read about their dismal customer service.

Motrolfly motors..I've used a couple smaller ones in depron parkjets. Very decent motors. I bought my three little ones a few years back. Had a bad shaft (out of round). The owner/operator at that time was different than who they have now. I was taken care of very quickly though and I'd recommend them as a supplier.

AXI ...I won't buy them. Any company that tries to maintain the belief that their hardware is still made in the Czech Repub versus a factory in china doesn't get my support.

I do have one large axi, but it came in the hanger9 spitfire when I bought it from a local flyer.

Castle's
I really like the new ICE controllers. Their price is right in line with what I would have otherwise paid for a high amp hobbywing.

Won't touch their smaller ubec. Burned too many of them out.
I do like the ccbec pro. Solid controller. I did see the recall about the shake and bake issue.

bolt on prop adapters...They are nice of course, but at times, the center hub is too wide to adapapt a spinner nut on, and alot of times, the larger ones need the prop to be drilled out alot.

I've never had a prop nut fly off the motor's shaft. Scorpions, eflite, etc
Wrench them down nice and tight and usually you have to use a flat blade screwdriver to pry them off.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Scratch that D-Man. Got it.
25% Edge prototype (no, we're not sure what the wingspan is going to be, Scott is still tweaking) with Joe Smith at the controls. HAcker A50-12L + 18x8 Xoar PJN on 8S 3850mah, Hitec Aurora9 + 4 x HS-985MG. Wind 10 gusting 15 or so. Sounds like a 10ish Ib. plane to me.
Steve
an 84" wingspan puts this into the 30% (50cc)category.
at 10lb, I just don't see how it will fly very well with any wind.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:21 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
I have just ordered some of these to try them out as a HS65 substitute. I'll let you know how they work.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10345
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
yeah, sorry gabe. Our company was about an hour late and when they got here, it was pouring outside.

Dremeled the cowling on the Slick 540 and got it installed. Just have to drill out the CF spinner back plate and put the spinner on.

While I was working on it, Deanna came out and said I should get a 100cc for a winter build project!!!!

I of course said ok

I'm going to be selling one of the 50cc's off.
Most likely the bee, of which I haven't even flown it yet, but plan to sometime this year if the weather cooperates.

Vitter, you interested in the EG Slick 540?
PM sent
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
an 84" wingspan puts this into the 30% (50cc)category.
at 10lb, I just don't see how it will fly very well with any wind.
You may be right Chuck, I'm just going off the equipment used in the video, an A50-12L using 8s 3800 batts is what is supposably used in the video. Don't quote me on this but that is the same set up that Ben used making the video of his 72" Extra at around 10Ibs, actually he was using Rhino 3700's, with the amount of power the Edge seemed to have in the video, if hes using the same setup, I can;t see it being that much over the same weight. It seemed to do real well in the 10-15 mph winds that were supposably blowing there. Of course, it always helps having a pilot with a lot of skill flying it also. Never the less something to ponder for later.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:01 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Greetings local flying friends...

Here's the first video of the 3DHS 84" Edge.
Per Ben the wing is still in work and it's a good thing too.. the plane IS un-flyable just take a look, Joe is barely able to keep it straight and level in 10-15 mph winds.

PS. Rumor is there will be two wing tips available, rounded and square.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJSw...layer_embedded

D-Man
WOW... now that looks like an extreme 3D flyer to me. I dont think Joe is trying to keep it straight and level, but he is flying it on the "edge," in almost all high alpha maneuvers. Come on and bite me baby!! .... may be too much plane for me
gabrielisrael is online now Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Oct 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Just bought Aerofly 5, interface version, to use with my Aurora 9.

Bought it instead of buying my castle ice 160HV ESC. Figure I'll get more use out of the sim now that the weather is pretty crappy, and can wait to get my raven in the air once the weather turns around, and I get some birthday/christmas funds come December!
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:51 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
Anyone flying tomorrow afternoon at marymoor?

Weather is suppose to be decent tomorrow and maybe Friday.

Anyone flying tomorrow early afternoon? I plan on heading over there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
What is this? I am trying to find out. It says it is a slick on the side. I would be really interested in this airframe, if it looks as good in the sky as it does here in the pic!

BTW - The video is a 25% Edge prototype (no, we're not sure what the wingspan is going to be, Scott is still tweaking) with Joe Smith at the controls. HAcker A50-12L + 18x8 Xoar PJN on 8S 3850mah, Hitec Aurora9 + 4 x HS-985MG. Wind 10 gusting 15 or so.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Oct 27, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
more pics... the word is it is not 84" wingspan. They found it alittle too floaty, so it is now less.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Oct 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:06 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
It is a slick with a painted canopy to make it look like the racing version. Same plane
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:08 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
The bottom one looks like an Edge 540 with a racing canopy. 3DHS is doing alot of planes with the "new" style racing canopy.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
Sniffing the glue
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Aug 2010
214 Posts
my foamy is ready fly wth the DX8
scamair is offline Find More Posts by scamair
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Very cool - I used to have one of Skywing's Yak 54's - was fun to fly until I lost the canopy out at Marymoor somewhere in the field. I just couldn't bring myself to fly it without the canopy so I sold it off to another local flyer.

Does the canopy come off on this one?
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:45 PM
Sniffing the glue
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Aug 2010
214 Posts
I remember you saying that you lost the canopy on yours, I should figure out a way to secure it better than the magnets....
scamair is offline Find More Posts by scamair