HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2010, 01:58 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Another glorious day of flying today!

Here are some pics of Vitter doing his thing!
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2010, 02:46 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
JHOLEN,

About foamies: Those Leadfeather planes at midwestfoamplanes are great. DW Foamies are awesome depron planes, you can't go wrong with them. However, my current EPP favorite is the Vector:

http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/VECTOR-Kit_c9.htm

Get a Hobby King 12A esc, a HK 2730-1500 motor and a 9x4.7 GWS prop. Use a 3s 450-500mAh 20c+ battery and you can't go wrong. I sometimes fly it with a 750 mAh battery in the wind. The plane practically hovers itself with a little practice.

It's a little pricey for the kit, but goes together nicer as an EPP (has keyed slots), the ailerons and elevator are pre-hinged perfectly with what appears to be Welders glue and the paint job is superior. Oh yeah, it flies better too, for real. I'll bring mine out and give you a try if you like.

A plane like this will bring your skills to a new level in a very short time. The sim is great, but foamies are better. Be prepared to experience a noticeable difference in flying characteristics when transitioning from foamy to balsa for sure, but your stick movements and orientation especially will translate to the balsa planes almost seamlessly, though there is a big difference - orientation is key. Learning to control the extra weight and characteristics of a mid-wing balsa plane will come more easy after practicing with the foamy, at least that was my experience.

And oh yeah, last Saturday was the best.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Last edited by egaus; May 15, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 02:58 AM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,515 Posts
Hey Egaus,

Thanks for the pull on the Vyper, now i need another plane.
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Last edited by Vitter; May 15, 2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old May 15, 2010, 04:12 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
egaus is already posting in the 65" vyper thread! He's hooked!

Thanks for the info!

- J
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old May 23, 2010, 01:31 AM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
We need another fly-in sometime soon. Any ideas?
Old May 23, 2010, 01:34 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Maybe next weekend since it will be the last weekend to fly at the field due to soccer season starting up June 1.

I should have the MX-2 50cc done by then and ready for a maiden along with the 3dhs 47" edge.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old May 24, 2010, 04:14 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Oh the turmoil!

If I had any hair I think I would have pulled it out by now.

Thought I had made up my mind about getting some Hokusei EPP foamies available from www.bestvaluerc.com (specifically the Primus BX/Ultima BX) - and possibly their EPP/Balsa Hybrid Cap 232 until I started checking out the 3D Flying forum.

Now I've been reading that 47" SHP sport flying thread, and Ben over at 3DHS mentioned something about a more capable beginner 47" SHP package, as well as their $99 buck huck.

Of course there are also more options just in the EPP/Depron arena too.. DWFoamies for example puts out the BAFs.. I'm all confused, and still remain without a 3D/sport capable plane.

Is deciding on what plane to get always this hard?

- J
Old May 24, 2010, 04:22 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Jholen,

How about the new dw foamies 40" Juka? These are the latest DWs with the 9mm wing.

I just put one of these together and could be the best DW yet. Good size but still fits in the car easy. The BAFs are fun but I am lazy and don't like taking wings on and off. These fly really nice sport and 3d, sort of like big foam but easier to casually huck about......
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old May 24, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
What power system you running on that 40" DW?

Also, how durable are they consider I haven't dabbled in any 3D whatsoever.

I've heard EPP is a step above depron in concerns to durability, however lags behind a bit in regards to stiffness/weight/flight characteristics.

Thanks John! Bainbridge Island fly-in this summer?
Old May 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Jholen, it's true the depron is more brittle than EPP but the DWs I just like the way they fly. I don't have a lot of experience with the EPP models. I kind of like the looks of the RC Factory Yak 54 and 55. The Leadfeather Yaks are great for 3D but I think the DWs make a better all around plane. The DWs will also fight the wind better.

THe power system I am using is the one I won in the Raffle at the 60 acres fly-in! lol. It's a Turnigy 1000kv motor about 65 grams with 11x4.7 to 3.8.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
How do the 40" handle the wind?

And what servos are you running in them? HS55 equivalents?

My brushed motor (yes, I know I know - it was my first plane) finally crapped out on me today at the field.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
I think she handles the wind just fine for a foamy in that size. The 9mm 40" wing makes these planes substantial. AUW is 15-17 oz so that is good for wind. Since you are starting out I would be careful in the wind though, but I've seen you fly and you should be fine with a DW.

HS-55s are fine. I like the HXT-900s from Hobbyking, which are awesome for the money. Jholen, I would consider the Scorpion motor that Mike at DW sells, but the Turnigys or DWs dynamo brand work well. Round it out with an 18-20 amp esc and you are golden!

Yeah, so when should we have our next fly-in? You thinking maybe 60 acres on the memorial day weekend? Sat, Sun or Mon?
Old May 24, 2010, 10:17 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
I'll try to come but I'll be planeless lol! Monday the 31st would work best for me - I have the whole day off.

Oh.. and I should probably mention. My wife is letting me spend my overtime money ($660.00) on planes. Soo.. does that change anything in regards to what I should get consider my flying skills that you've all seen with my little magpie.

My current gear is as follows (minus the brushed junk):
  • 5 x 2S1P 1000mAh Lipos (thinking about converting my radio to use these - Aurora 9s work off 7.4v)
  • 3 x HS55s
  • 3 x Optima 7 receivers (two are in the mail)

So in theory I could run three planes.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:36 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
I was going to try to make it Saturday.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old May 25, 2010, 09:47 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA