HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:06 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,594 Posts
Thanks for the good work Garth ;-) Looking at the 14 June 2011 update in the RCG link you provided specifically calls into question the RCEXL device itself so I'm thinking that's enough to confirm the cause of my lockout. I've purchased the Smart Fly fiber optic unit for my replacement build so by using a separate ignition battery and the Smart Eq10 to drive the servos nothing will have a direct electrical connection to my receiver. I also picked up the Powerbox redundant receiver module that also tracks any receiver hiccups, problematic or not. So, If I end up losing my new plane to a lockout too then I will take that as God calling me home from the dark side ending my affair with cookies

Also good info on resister type spark plugs. Do you know if DA supplies that type of plug with it's motors?
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:11 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTim View Post
Attachment 5215009 Attachment 5215010 Attachment 5215011

Got a chance to try out the new radio today and everything came back the same way it left! I dusted off the SupaThump Yak and after giving her a few new goodies last night (including 14 new aileron hinges, DLE-111, and a throttle servo) she was rip roarin and ready! Met up with Jon AKA ECAA3D at Mt Ranier and couldn't have asked for a better day. No wind, not too hot and not too cold. Even my pit crew was working his magic.
Thanks for inviting me out Tim. Love that paved runway and the wind was perfect.

That torque roll was insane!!....it was enough to convince me I want a bigger plane. Now I know why your dubbed "supa".

Should have known not to fly that last pack once I said "one last flight" The ol Extra didn't like a no throttle elevator into a dirt clod. Got her fixed though...took about 45 minutes. Epoxy is setting up now. Just needs a small strip of ultracote and maybe a BandE graphix kit to hide the battle scars.

To top it off there was a Squatch lurking in the woods doing a mating call or something and leaving ran into a freakish hoard of flying ants I think they were....haven't really looked at the car yet but the window was plastered with yellow goo.

Getting some Aeronaut CAM carbon pro props tomorrow and I have the holiday off so I'll be checking out the repair and how these new props work down in Littlerock. Thanks again Tim. Was a blast to see that Yak in proper action.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:25 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
Also good info on resister type spark plugs. Do you know if DA supplies that type of plug with it's motors?
We are all using the NGK CM-6. ITs not a resistor type. I dont know if a R type plug exists that fits our engines. Seems like something that we should investigate though.

Actually never mind. Seems like the consensus is that the CM-6 just work and you dont want to go messing with a good thing.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by racerxky; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:06 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,594 Posts
Ha! My consensus is I want every point in my favor possible to forego financing another giant size lawn dart But I get the point, no sense trying to fix something that works, I just wonder why it was brought up in that rundown on ignition noise issues
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:32 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
25 ft at about 2 or 3 inches off the ground.
A plane at MARC can't be any higher than 90db at that 25ft distance.
ouch thats a hard test to pass for sure, for schlits and giggles have them test it with the ama standard imac test with the tester on a tripod and with no one near to creat an echo and see how it is.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/UserFil...Aerobatics.pdf

page 2 and 3 deal with sound testing in the ama official competition rules, 90 db is a harsh limit for sure and yoiu guys are right trying to stay below that can be very pricey.
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:36 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furballll View Post
ouch thats a hard test to pass for sure, for schlits and giggles have them test it with the ama standard imac test with the tester on a tripod and with no one near to creat an echo and see how it is.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/UserFil...Aerobatics.pdf

page 2 and 3 deal with sound testing in the ama official competition rules, 90 db is a harsh limit for sure and yoiu guys are right trying to stay below that can be very pricey.
Not going to happen with the MARC board.

90db at 25ft over grass is the limit they have set. Too many complaints of noise from neighboring condo's and other Marymoor park patrons I would guess.
Although, I'm sure its not marymoor park guests that do the complaining. The field is almost always well attended by people watching the planes..

more of an issue with the surrounding homes and condo's.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:40 AM
Huckfest or bust!
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Joe,

DA ignitions have a resistor in the cap. No need for a resistor equipped spark plug.

there is a good thread pertaining to rcexl ignitions over on flyinggiants that talks about the lack of a resistor in those caps, and previously, rcexl using carbon core wires to act as a resistor.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...t=73578&pp=100

I used the rcexl ignition kill in a plane once. DIdn't have an issue with it. However, there seems to be some hit and miss experiences with the unit over at FG. I'd skip using one of these in favor of either the SF unit for full opto iso, or the Tech Aero unit.

Oh and for the record, DO NOT use a 42% products ignition kill, or any of their hardware for that matter. the 42% in the company name means you have a 58% chance of bringing your plane down in one piece, versus 42% chance of losing it in a giant fireball upon impact.

Robert, I bought my Tech Aero Ibec here.
http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
774 Posts
oh i am not for a minute suggesting you try to get them to change thier test. i would love to see if there is a difference in the readings though with the tester not so close to the ground. any sound testing is such a testy topic personally i find a nitro two stroke screaming away at a high pitch but below the sound limit way more offencive than a lower note caused by a slower turning gas powered plane. we have a few electric planes that test out at 92 .
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
... personally i find a nitro two stroke screaming away at a high pitch but below the sound limit way more offencive than a lower note caused by a slower turning gas powered plane...
+1!

And now this because we all love "overpowered". Imagine needing a Cosworth F1 engine to drive a fuel pump

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...y-test-6259362
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
Huckfest or bust!
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
oh i am not for a minute suggesting you try to get them to change thier test. i would love to see if there is a difference in the readings though with the tester not so close to the ground. any sound testing is such a testy topic personally i find a nitro two stroke screaming away at a high pitch but below the sound limit way more offencive than a lower note caused by a slower turning gas powered plane. we have a few electric planes that test out at 92 .
Big +1 to that. More ear piercing than a ripping prop if you ask me.

A nice and quiet 4 stroke nitro with a decent muffler should be mandated at sound sensitive fields as well.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:42 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
+1!

And now this because we all love "overpowered". Imagine needing a Cosworth F1 engine to drive a fuel pump

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...y-test-6259362
So let's see if I got this right: this "car" needs a formula l racing engine running at 16000 RPM to pump enough fuel to get it to run?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
USA, WA, Redmond
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
25 ft at about 2 or 3 inches off the ground.
A plane at MARC can't be any higher than 90db at that 25ft distance.

I've known my da100l on cans with the vess 27b rips when in the air but I knew I was on borrowed time until someone came up to me with the sound meter.

I'll prolly go with a 26x12 3 blade mej.
Tims 26x12 PT models just didn't have much oomph, but it sure was quiet and slowed the plane down on the downlines. Given its price though, I may just pick that up from him. However a vess 27c might be the trick
Thinking more about the MARC 90 DB limit test "Steve the Red Hat" preformed yesterday. I believe the test should be the average of three separate test runs to ensure accuracy. Picking up a Mob shared calibrated DB meter may also resolve future Red Hat disputes & differences of DB opinion.
leespaddock is offline Find More Posts by leespaddock
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:54 AM
Huckfest or bust!
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
One thing with my plane is that the rear exhaust nozzles do not extend below the plane very much. In fact one of them is flush with the bottom exhaust plate and the other is perhaps 1/2 below the plate. The can enclosure inside the plane, I'm sure, acts as a resonating box, adding to the overall sound foot print.

Perhaps if I had a couple of Exhaust tip extensions, the overall db would have been lower.

The prop doesn't rip on the ground, which is not specifically spelled out in the db output requirement in the club laws. Meaning I may pick up a set of those exhaust extensions and have the plane retested, prior to the outlay for a new prop.

thoughts?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Aug 2007
543 Posts
Most of your noise (for can equipped 3-blade setup) is coming from viabrating elements in your aircraft. The location of your exhaust tips does not make any difference. When it is in the air, most of the "engine noise" is coming from the prop or your servo wires bouncing aroung the frame and playing "drims" from the inside.

If you setup an airplane with knuckle headers and a 3 blade prop, with all the servo wires buckled down and minimal pplay in the can mounts, your airplane will almost be whisper quiet (relatively speaking).

For 2-blade setups, the prop rip can get very impressive. Especially those pesky wooden props.
Azhar is online now Find More Posts by Azhar
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
543 Posts
26 x12 3-blade on a 111 is too much. Use a 25x12.
Azhar is online now Find More Posts by Azhar