HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
A great day at Flopgun's field yesterday

SUNDAY - SEPT 12th - KITSAP ARCS ROAD TRIP FLY DAY

About 11am Cryhavoc, JHolen, Vitter and myself headed out by caravan from Woodinville to the West Seattle Ferry. While we waited at the ferry, Cryhavoc did some minor repair work to his Aeroworks Extra 300LP landing gear from a dead stick landing at Marymoore earlier in the morning. This was after doing two maiden flights with his wife to be, and on his second flight, the engine quit and he ran long on the runway. Someone came over and spoke with us about the planes while waiting at the ferry terminal, and when cars were loading onto the ferry before ours, the planes were quite a distraction.

When we got to the field, Flopgun was there waiting for us.

We started with partly cloudy skies, but it was really blowing at times! So Flopgun and JHolen took up their DW Foamies and had a great time despite the big wind gusts. This sold me on a foamy, and I will have to get one in the future. They are truly the "all weather flyer!"

Cryhavoc was the first one to brave the windy conditions with his Aeroworks plane and he did nicely. Then it was Vitter's turn with the Slick, and then Flopgun with the Clown.

As we were flying, two more guys from the area showed up with planes - Mike and Nate. These guys really added to the day. Mike is a competitive flyer and ended up flying almost everyones planes as well as the one he brought, and Nate was the one that bought Cryhavoc's EG Mx2 and converted it to gas. This was Nate's maiden with the plane (and without the cowl). Nate was running a motor/muffler system that was so quiet, we could hear the prop on his approach just like an electric.

Nate did great with his newly acquired plane, and Mike really put on a show for us with his skills. At one point, Mike was flying Vitter's slick and almost tried a "hover tail grab," but a little gust of wind picked up, and so he abandoned his attempt. I guess it was because it was his first flight on Vitter's 3DHS Slick, using Vitter's radio .... man Mike can fly! Mike compete's with a 40% size Carden and loved Vitter's slick. He was unfamiliar with the 3DHS planes, but said Vitter's 70" Slick felt big, very similar to his 40% Carden. Mike loved the Slick and he may have caught the "Slickness."

JHolen brought his DW Foamy and his 30cc White, Blue-Green color schemed Abell Extra. John flew impressively with the Abell Extra, but I did not get any pics, since it was at the end of the day and I was flying my 3DHS SHP at that time, or just enjoying watching him fly.

We did not get back to the mainland (i.e. West Seattle) until 9:30pm last night.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that Vitter brought out the World Model's Mini Midget Mustang and flew it once for our new flying friends. Nate said, "WOW... that is the fastest flying plane I have ever seen." When Vitter was making low hot passes across the runway, it seemed louder, probably due to the closeness of the of the trees across from the pilot box and runway.

I am providing some pics of the day ... enjoy.

Thanks again to Flopgun and Kitsap Arcs hosting our fly day yesterday.

Later that evening the wind died down around 6pm'ish and the guys flew until dark.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gabrielisrael; Sep 13, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:57 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Thanks for the report Chet, I was bummed I had to miss this event. Looks like you guys had a great day.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:47 PM
click here
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2008
624 Posts
Very entertaining report and good photography, gabrielisrael!
straightedge_ is offline Find More Posts by straightedge_
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:58 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightedge_ View Post
Very entertaining report and good photography, gabrielisrael!
+1 nice report Gabe
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the report guys...

Photos were taken with my Costco special - a Canon PowerShot SD1200 (10megapixels) camera.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:24 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,514 Posts
Monday night flying at marymoore

Guys -

It looks like we have Cryhavoc, Vitter, Uno and myself heading out to Marymoore tonight.

Hope to see you all there!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:58 PM
Sniffing the glue
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Aug 2010
214 Posts
the 12th

-thanks for great report and pic's. I ended up working all weekend... Hope to meet/fly all all you guys soon!
scamair is offline Find More Posts by scamair
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:59 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,630 Posts
Looks like a good time had by all. Wish I could have been there.
Steve
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:07 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,044 Posts
yeah, you fella's who couldn't make it missed a fun time.
I've got my pics and will post soon.
Good job Gabe.

One another note, I've GOT SMOKE!!

The pump was set a bit too high (my throttle/pump curve).
Damn near smoke out the whole culde sac.

COOL!
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Awesome stuff Chet! Great report - and damn was that a great day.

I'm down for going out there again.

Can't make it tonight.. got dinner with my wife's family at Red Robin
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,044 Posts
got some pics in post processing now..cropping, etc
will post more soon.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
got some pics in post processing now..cropping, etc
will post more soon.
DUDE! That looks cool
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:27 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,944 Posts
Thanks Chet for the recap and pics of a great day. Nothing like an afternoon with the fellas. Thanks for coming everyone, and see how nice a real runway is to the planes, they just roll out and land beautifully.

Cry, just next to ARCS is Kitsap Motorsports drag strip, maybe one of the guys can get you a parachute to slow that 300L down on touchdown.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Thanks Chet for the recap and pics of a great day. Nothing like an afternoon with the fellas. Thanks for coming everyone, and see how nice a real runway is to the planes, they just roll out and land beautifully.

Cry, just next to ARCS is Kitsap Motorsports drag strip, maybe one of the guys can get you a parachute to slow that 300L down on touchdown.
yeah...I think it needs a servo actuated drouge chute
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:44 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,044 Posts
can't make the field today.
Got to get some things done in preparation for the big day and our departure on monday morning.

Tomorrow is looking good.
Jholen...you up for some flying tomorrow late morning, early afternoon?