HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Beautiful day at MARC, yet CARNAGE....

Like Eric and Sam said, beautiful afternoon at MARC: little to no wind, partly sunny skies, t-shirt weather, and very few flyers at the field, yet...

We did see some carnage. First, Joe completely stripped out an aileron servo on his PA 260 Extra in flight, but was able to float it into the tall grass with little or no damage. Then on my 3rd Slipstream MXS flight, I was starting a knife edge spin with I lost power to the motor and was able to successfully "dead stick" it in for a good landing. Upon inspection, somehow one of the wires from the ESC to the motor got chopped by the prop (see pic). So far, equipment failures but no plane damage....

Then Robert started a beautiful low canopy side high alpha knife edge low down the runway with the Velox, then brought it around for a gear side about 6ft off the runway... it was true 3D art, but got and little low and see the pics....carnage. BTW this manuever was being video taped by Sam's dad and hope to have it posted later.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:48 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Upon inspection, somehow one of the wires from the ESC to the motor got chopped by the prop (see pic).
I'd really like to know how that happened! ??
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Aug 2007
544 Posts
Flapping wires....
Azhar is offline Find More Posts by Azhar
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:03 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,667 Posts
I would speculate that the outward centripetal force on the wire generated during the knife edge spin brought it into proximity with the prop and then Viola!

Chet's advise on the picture caption is the lesson: For those who thrash secure your stash (or something like that anyway)
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:26 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
how was the flying this weekend fella's?
Any carnage to report, or some cool new maneuver perfected?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:14 AM
Training to be a cage fighter.
Woodinville, WA
Joined Apr 2010
499 Posts
Well, although Robert was getting good with that Velox I'm relieved in a way that the plane is done for. That plane flew funky, and in comparison his new Extreme Flight is much more well-mannered. I've flown both of those planes, the Velox had very weird tip-stall tendencies with any kind of sudden elevator input. I'd knife edge spin that plane and nearly lose it in recovery when inputting up-elevator too much, too soon.
The Extreme flight was a completely different animal. It was very well mannered and felt almost as light as a foamy when performing harriers and hovers.
bicyclechris is offline Find More Posts by bicyclechris
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:20 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclechris View Post
Well, although Robert was getting good with that Velox I'm relieved in a way that the plane is done for. That plane flew funky, and in comparison his new Extreme Flight is much more well-mannered. I've flown both of those planes, the Velox had very weird tip-stall tendencies with any kind of sudden elevator input. I'd knife edge spin that plane and nearly lose it in recovery when inputting up-elevator too much, too soon.
The Extreme flight was a completely different animal. It was very well mannered and felt almost as light as a foamy when performing harriers and hovers.
Reason I sold my Velox (version prior to Roberts) after only two flights!

However, Dave has had quite a bit of success with it. Guess it comes down to personal preference.
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclechris View Post
done for?

Some pics of the Oly Imac contest.
The first for team C&D

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ostcount=20328
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Nice pics!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
done for?

Some pics of the Oly Imac contest.
The first for team C&D

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ostcount=20328

Looks like you made some new friends.

but, Jeez Cry, like ribbons at the county fair, everyone gets a trophy.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post

Looks like you made some new friends.

but, Jeez Cry, like ribbons at the county fair, everyone gets a trophy.
I took third at my first contest. Thats all I'm going to say about that..

for anyone considering flying Imac for fun or for a change of pace from fly low and crashem...
The cascade (snohomish contest is coming up next month). Not far away so there isn't the driving commitment to just try it out.

It was fun and yes, I was nervous during my first round, settled down for round 2, got flubbered during round 3 and did ok on round 4 except for a wind blown attempt at a hammerhead where I should have kept some more power on for the rudder authority. Plane turned into a kite at the worst moment.

For basic class, you can fly anything as long as its a plane.

Oh and Bill Newman (Marymoor board member) flys sportsman, and Deanna and I had an interesting conversation with him about Mar/c.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Oh and Bill Newman (Marymoor board member) flys sportsman, and Deanna and I had an interesting conversation with him about Mar/c.
Intrigued about that conversation....
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Awesome that you placed third! I'm sure that first round was nerve wracking, but big congrats for going out for it. Like I said, I would have enjoyed being there, maybe once my schedule gets re-arranged we'll see about getting out to more flying events on weekends.

And with Marc, What'd Bill have to say?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
Awesome that you placed third! I'm sure that first round was nerve wracking, but big congrats for going out for it. Like I said, I would have enjoyed being there, maybe once my schedule gets re-arranged we'll see about getting out to more flying events on weekends.

And with Marc, What'd Bill have to say?
Thanks JH! appreciate the congrats.

So about the convo.

There are people who are watching the flyers all the time, and reporting on what they deem to be unsafe and also park rules violations.
Some are absolutely false, and others have some merit.

The one thing I can say for certain is that the language of the field rules will be clarified soon so that there is no ambiguity nor left for individual interpretations of what the rules actually mean.

Field rule #14 will be clarified

And as Gabe pointed out, its every member's duty to see to it that all the club rules are adhered to at all times by all members and their guests.
It would be a shame to lose an awesome field that is centrally located to a great many of us.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 13, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:48 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
14. Do NOT perform low level aerobatics, hovering maneuvers, or high-speed passes over the runway.

Gee, that kind of rules out any kind of flying I want to perform or watch performed over the runway. This rule is not to my liking but it seems pretty clear. It also seems pretty clear that it is broken all day just about every day.

And congrats on your third place Chuck, that's pretty cool.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus