SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:56 PM
Well then, a taste it shall be
Joined May 2011
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Sam, as I mentioned, I do not know when the next time I will be at marc, but I would put the SU-31 in the truck when I do go out there and would let you know before hand
okay
yosemitesam is offline Find More Posts by yosemitesam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:57 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitesam View Post
okay
If I see someone out at Cascade tomorrow or Sunday who will also be going to Marc, I will ask them to take it with them.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:11 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
The Sbach's transformation!

This is what the Sbach transformed into:

jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:43 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
OH no! we've lost you to the twirly birds.

I'm going to go make fun of Cry's IMAC flying at Cascade tomorrow am, then I think I'll head over to MARCs later, what are the fellas up to?
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:45 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Lost me? Ha, nah. Just had too many planes with 2 30cc's and a 50cc - so figured I'd sell one, and pickup a heli.

I'm intrigued.

Cleaned up my wiring this last weekend (my weekend) on the Raven. Still need to get my battery tray complete, and then we'll be ready for the maiden.

Also had to re-do my pull pull as the way I had done it originally was rubbing on the formers near the rear of the plane. If only I had a table saw I could rip this 1/4 aircraft ply down to what I need and my battery trays will go much faster.. will have to do that at my parents come Tuesday.
Last edited by jholen; Jun 03, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:51 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
test out your battery tray well, and go easy on her for a few flights. Those big batteries like to be free!

I heard Daniel Holmans batteries ejected at the XFC competition today lol although he probably doesn't think too funny.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
test out your battery tray well, and go easy on her for a few flights. Those big batteries like to be free!

I heard Daniel Holmans batteries ejected at the XFC competition today lol although he probably doesn't think too funny.
I think Azhar and I came up with a sound idea. Essentially, cut two slots into the bottom of the motor box - then have the tray itself with notches to slide into the slots, thereby securing the front. Secure the rear with..

Also got done glassing the front part of the canopy as suggested by Azhar. Came out nice and strong - might put another thin layer of epoxy over it, the original mix I think I thinned a bit too much.

and also built/maidened my new Tower Hobbies Xtra Slick for hucking outside the apartment. Already broke a prop in a failed attempt to land on our balcony lol!

Kit was only $40 unpainted - great deal.. just used apple barrel paint thinned with floor wax/shiner

Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:10 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
This is what the Sbach transformed into:

So this is your first heli
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:14 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Hope you are going flybarless on that heli J. You'll wish you did if you don't.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:20 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
so wth is everyone doing yard work tomorrow? flying?
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:25 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitter View Post
So this is your first heli
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Hope you are going flybarless on that heli J. You'll wish you did if you don't.

e
Will start off with it stock, as suggested by Bert/Bobby from SmacktalkRC. Listened to a number of suggestions for beginners, and I've heard that it's good to start with an old flybarred heli, will make you appreciate flybarless when you goto it. And no, I'm not trying to do this on my own. Will be having the peeps from RCA checking it over, and most likely doing the maiden - then just make some homemade training gear out of 1/4 dowel/whiffle balls, and work on hovering, not to mention a ton of sim time.

I know there is a big mix of opinions in regards to beginner helis, lot of people out there suggest 400/450 sized helis due to lower cost, however before the 400/450 size helis were available (pre-electric) most everyone started on 50 sized nitro helis. Now there are a lot of electric models that compare to 50 sized nitro helis, 550-600 size. If I had the ability for BNF stuff I'd probably have gotten a mini just to work on orientation, however can't see doing that since I've got a futaba radio. Looked at the t-rex 450, but a number of people suggested since I already have 6s 5000mAh packs just to go with the 600. More stable, far more than a 450. Also got this for the price of an align t-rex 450 so didn't break the bank

Quote:
so wth is everyone doing yard work tomorrow? flying?
Charging my packs for the Xtra slick. Just rigged up a hat cam, lol - going to go test it.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,738 Posts
I'm up for a trip to Marymoor if anybody else is going.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:57 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:

Nor does Chris Hinson because I don't think Daniel packed his own plane to fly. Looks like he was flying a big ol clown scheme.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:02 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
That 600 class heli will be sweet for you. I started with a 400 and it was kinda rough. It wasn't till I recently got the mCPx that I was able to prove to myself that I could fly around at will without having to worry so much about orientation (no inverted yet though.. a few flips here and there). Heli's can be a bit nerve-racking, they demand so much concentration. A guy was telling me one time that planes just want to fly, helis on the other hand, it's a wonder that they even do.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:07 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Nor does Chris Hinson because I don't think Daniel packed his own plane to fly. Looks like he was flying a big ol clown scheme.
That cost him a zero in round 1. He did well in the unknown round, placing 3rd behind Donatas and Altuz.