I like this one

or this one
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old May 12, 2011, 11:06 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,056 Posts
those are the faces that are made when someone crashes their plane because someone said fly lower...lower..loooowwweeerrr.

lol
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old May 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Switch/A123 install! Raven is slowly progressing!

I know you're going to hate hearing this cry, but no I still haven't done cg lol!

Wolverine Switch from Fromeco

Iron Corp Extreme A123s 2300mAh

Access to cables for charging - made myself some 3' extensions for in plane charging. I put the packs so far forward to hopefully give me more room to move my main flight packs. Benefit is for better cg, only negative is they will be a pita to access, but with extensions I'll just charge them inside the plane.

Old May 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Wont be flying tomorrow - flew tonight at MARC

Went flying tonight with Chris at MARC tonight. It was quite windy, but we wanted to get some video done on our modified World Models Voodoo we will be selling soon, and the Mini Midget Mustangs.

I also flew the new SHP and my 30cc Slipstream MXS. Man that MXS has a wild tumble!!

Here are a couple of pics from the field....
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Went flying tonight with Chris at MARC tonight. It was quite windy, but we wanted to get some video done on our modified World Models Voodoo we will be selling soon, and the Mini Midget Mustangs.

I also flew the new SHP and my 30cc Slipstream MXS. Man that MXS has a wild tumble!!

Here are a couple of pics from the field....
Nice pics chet!

I really wanted to make it out today, but got delayed and then had to meet a local NWEF guy who bought my A9.. so no field :|

The MXS probably tumbles well because of the increased mass in comparison to what you are used to with your SHPs, which are pretty light as 3DHS is known for their light planes. The Sbach also did the same thing, though has shorter coupling than the MXS I believe.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:59 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
This is a great thread, keep up the posts. I enjoy reading each and every one.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old May 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
Ride Blue
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
So supposedly I installed my switch backwards lol.

Back should be "on" and forward "off"

doh.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:27 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I'm confused Jholen, what are all those switches and 2300 mAh LiFe batteries for? Why not just hard wire a BEC to the main battery?

Guys, no hard feelings here but it seems to me that if you want an electric plane, you should just buy one. Converting a gas airframe to electric just seems to be like starting with an unnecessary weight penalty and bunch of extra work.

Curious,

e
Last edited by egaus; May 13, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:45 AM
Training to be a cage fighter.
Woodinville, WA
Joined Apr 2010
499 Posts
Thanks again you guys for all of your input earlier about the motors, your insight and information was very helpful.

I like the pilot on the bottom right with the goatee that Jholen showed a picture of.
He looks like he's taking a really big crap, it would look RAD in my plane!

By the way, we saw a pretty spectacular 500 size helicopter crash tonight..
The pilot was a talented 3D Heli guy that was performing some sweet moves, but bit a little to low to the ground.
He didn't destroy the main frame, battery, or most of the electronics.
Only the tail boom, rear rotor thingy, and main blades were munched.
An approximate $200.00 easy fix according to the pilot.

I know gas conversions do incur a weight penalty, but big plane newcomers can get into a great entry-level 30CC plane for and unbeatable price.
I think the Slipstream MXS is only $300.00, which you can buy locally from Azhar.
It is a great deal because not only is the base price lower than most, but you only pay about $30.00 in tax versus 70 dollars or more in shipping.
Not to mention that Azhar is a great rep for the brand and customer service is top-notch.
Hence an incentive to convert some gas planes to electric.
Chet (PlaneadrenalinRC) is also developing a drop-in motor conversion box for these planes as well.
Ask him for more details.
bicyclechris is offline Find More Posts by bicyclechris
Last edited by bicyclechris; May 13, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:46 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
I'm confused Jholen, what are all those switches and 2300 mAh LiFe batteries for? Why not just hard wire a BEC to the main battery?

Guys, no hard feelings here but it seems to me that if you want an electric plane, you should just buy one. Converting a gas airframe to electric just seems to be like starting with an unnecessary weight penalty and bunch of extra work.

Curious,

e
Eric,

You can buy a great flying 30cc, or in the case of Jholen a 50cc size electric plane, but there are big cost differences between the "made for electric" and the gas conversions, especially in the 50cc size.

The choices of "made for electric" in these sizes is very limited.

So sometimes their are some really cool planes that guys want to fly are simply not available in electric.

Also, some people like to tinker with planes.

All that being said, I may have to breakdown and buy one of the great flying but ugly color schemed 3DHS 71" Slicks.

I am still trying to decide.

I have a 73" Breitling MXSR gas plane that I was going to convert to electric. I may be selling it and going with the Slick.

And then there are the new EG white schemed Ravens Azhar is bringing in....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 09:18 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
General Aviation Day at Payne Field - May 21, 2011

General Aviation Day - May 21, 2011 at Payne Field

A few of us went last year and really enjoyed ourselves.

Lots of planes on display and flying....

Here is a video from 2009

Paine Field GA Day '09 ©2009 John H Clark (4 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Thanks for the thoughtful responses, Chet/Chris. I've never really shopped around for any electric planes larger than 65" wing, I guess you are right - the selection gets a little thin, eh?

When I eventually decide to acquire a new larger size plane, I'm certain that I will be talking to Azhar. I just need to reduce a little inventory here first to free up some space.

I enjoy seeing the variety of planes at the field, various set ups gas or electric.

e
Old May 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful responses, Chet/Chris. I've never really shopped around for any electric planes larger than 65" wing, I guess you are right - the selection gets a little thin, eh?

When I eventually decide to acquire a new larger size plane, I'm certain that I will be talking to Azhar. I just need to reduce a little inventory here first to free up some space.

I enjoy seeing the variety of planes at the field, various set ups gas or electric.

e
Eric,

When you are ready to look at a larger airframe, I will eventually be selling Azhar's planes with our electric conversion motor mount that will CG the plane with your batteries on the tray where the fuel tank would be for the proper center of mass to make sure you get the flying performance that the gas plane was designed for.

By just using standoffs and shoving the batteries up in the nose compromises the designed center of mass of the plane and will negitively effect the flying characteristics.
RCG Plus Member