HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
Vitter,
I remember you mentioning the new Hitec 7954sh servo's as you were thinking about using them for a 50cc plane.

I received 4 of them for my lumberworks ailerons.
They were $79.99 a pop, and the gear train is very very tight.

I see these easily replacing the 7985mg's as a standard, high torque, high voltage servo.

They are essentially a 7955tg but with a steel gear train versus titanium.

Operating v is 4.8/6/7.4
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:14 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamair View Post
Hey guys just got a label marker that prints onto heat shrink... let me know if you need something.
That would be handy to have for sure! Have fun with it.
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:17 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
I think control line is a more "solid" signal than spektrum
lol

Gabe is probably turning red hearing us start bashing radio's again.
LOL... I think you know me all to well Cry.

I must say though I am not Crashum.... I mean Spektrum fan.

I will still need to use mine on some planes, but I believe the Hitec and Futaba systems are safer for both planes and anyone on the flight line.

Eventually I will get everything moved over to my Aurora 9.

If I did not want the telemetry, I probably would have ended up with the Futaba 8FG.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:18 PM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Last Night for Voting on Marc site

Midnight is the cut off for voting through the website
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:21 PM
Build. Fly. Repeat.
Joined May 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
shoeless,

what pack size are you thinking you want to use for your new bird?
Lets start there.

Oh, and there is NO TOPIC in this thread.

Its all about the local guys talking RC..all aspects of it and life.
Cry,
i guess i hadnt even considered that yet. i thought you worked out the speed control and motor and matched the battery to it. Everything that i own so far is fairly small (3300 3 and 4 cell) so i am sure that i will have to start from scratch on the batteries. Long story short, i am open for any suggestions.
joe
shoelessjoe is offline Find More Posts by shoelessjoe
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:21 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
Cry,
i guess i hadnt even considered that yet. i thought you worked out the speed control and motor and matched the battery to it. Everything that i own so far is fairly small (3300 3 and 4 cell) so i am sure that i will have to start from scratch on the batteries. Long story short, i am open for any suggestions.
joe
The way to do it, in my opinion, is to start with the weight of the aircraft.
Then you determine what you wish to use for battery packs. 4s, 5s, 6s etc

Then you determine what size motor and KV coupled with a particular size range of props.

Another thing that decides what you use is the type of model and the flying style.

Standard marymoor older guys flying laps around the sky/tooling around ..about 100watts per pound

Aerobatics..about 120-150watts per pound

3D flying 180+ watts per pound.

WEEEEEHAAAA flying 200+ watts per pound.

So with that, a decathalon in the 7-8lbs all up and Aerobatics..

I'll recommend a few different types of motors/voltage/props/speedo's

Eflite Power 46, on 5s 4000+, APC or Xoar 15x7 prop and a 60 to 80 amp esc. A little experimenting with prop pitch and length would be usefull.

Depends on what sort of clearance you will have with that plane from the motor to the tarmac.

Scorpion 4020-10 on 5s with the same sized prop and esc. (if you need nose weight, the scorpion 4020 is somewhat light..may wish to consider the 4025-10 on a larger 5s pack)

Eflite Power 60 on 6s with a slightly larger prop if your plane will allow it. Say a 16x8.

You can safely assume a hobbywing/exceed volcano 80amp esc would be perfect for all the above combinations.
I wouldn't recommend you waste your cash on an Eflite speedo. They are very limited in function and overpriced.

A Castle Ice 75 esc would be great and you have growing room with one since they are good to 8s and easily exceed their 75amp rating.

There are hacker motors that would be quite suitable, but one, I have no experience personally with them, and two, I am not a fan of them.

For cheaper alternatives to the Eflite power motors, have a look at the Monster Power motors from Hobbypartz.com, OR the new Eflite clones at hobbycity.

I'd recommend an Infinite, but as of now, they are not for sale until OKHOBBY clears up some legal issues with Scorpion.

For batteries, as an alternative to hobbycity packs, the Blue lipo's from Hobbypartz.com in california have proven themselves to be very good. I was pushing the heck out of their 5s 5000 mah 20c packs in a 10s setup in that 50cc MX2 and they are still solid. They would come down warmish since I was pulling upwards of 130amps at WOT, but they still delivered charge after charge.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Nov 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:49 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
On a lighter note...

attention Robert Uno.

PM me please...its about that thing you and Deanna spoke about a couple times..
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Nov 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:32 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
The way to do it, in my opinion, is to start with the weight of the aircraft.
Then you determine what you wish to use for battery packs. 4s, 5s, 6s etc

Then you determine what size motor and KV coupled with a particular size range of props.

Another thing that decides what you use is the type of model and the flying style.

Standard marymoor older guys flying laps around the sky/tooling around ..about 100watts per pound

Aerobatics..about 120-150watts per pound

3D flying 180+ watts per pound.

WEEEEEHAAAA flying 200+ watts per pound.

So with that, a decathalon in the 7-8lbs all up and Aerobatics..

I'll recommend a few different types of motors/voltage/props/speedo's

Eflite Power 46, on 5s 4000+, APC or Xoar 15x7 prop and a 60 to 80 amp esc. A little experimenting with prop pitch and length would be usefull.

Depends on what sort of clearance you will have with that plane from the motor to the tarmac.

Scorpion 4020-10 on 5s with the same sized prop and esc. (if you need nose weight, the scorpion 4020 is somewhat light..may wish to consider the 4025-10 on a larger 5s pack)

Eflite Power 60 on 6s with a slightly larger prop if your plane will allow it. Say a 16x8.

You can safely assume a hobbywing/exceed volcano 80amp esc would be perfect for all the above combinations.
I wouldn't recommend you waste your cash on an Eflite speedo. They are very limited in function and overpriced.

A Castle Ice 75 esc would be great and you have growing room with one since they are good to 8s and easily exceed their 75amp rating.

There are hacker motors that would be quite suitable, but one, I have no experience personally with them, and two, I am not a fan of them.

For cheaper alternatives to the Eflite power motors, have a look at the Monster Power motors from Hobbypartz.com, OR the new Eflite clones at hobbycity.

I'd recommend an Infinite, but as of now, they are not for sale until OKHOBBY clears up some legal issues with Scorpion.

For batteries, as an alternative to hobbycity packs, the Blue lipo's from Hobbypartz.com in california have proven themselves to be very good. I was pushing the heck out of their 5s 5000 mah 20c packs in a 10s setup in that 50cc MX2 and they are still solid. They would come down warmish since I was pulling upwards of 130amps at WOT, but they still delivered charge after charge.
That is a good way to judge you system and you should get a good setup that way. As for the Monster motors, I would not reccomend them. I have had 3 of them and all of them have been fine to start with but in about 65 fllights (or less) they have lost alot of their power. Some people like them but I push my planes hard and they have just not held up that well for me. If you are interested, I have a hobbywing (Pentium) 80A ESC that I do not need and would be willing to part with. I have not tried the blue lipo's but from what I have heard, they are a good solid pack. The Zippy and Rhino packs are also good cheap packs.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:16 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Lucien going after OkHobby again?
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:41 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
So Chuck, is an infinite motor the same as a scorpion? They sure look similar.

Vitter runs and recommends the scorpion motor. They are a little more money, but hold up and he believes - run more efficiently.

Michael, which motor brand do you like? I ran a Hobbyking motor hard in a "hotrod" warbird this last season and believe the bearings need to be replaced. This may be a inexpensive way to keep the motor at peak speed. My HK motor sound changed as well as slowed... did yours?

Lastly, I also know that both Uno and Bicyclechris have been satisfied with BP motors. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to hold up.

I will continue to run the HK and BP motors for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:44 AM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
Lucien going after OkHobby again?
Yup.
I do believe its the whole look and feel issue.
All Infinite has to do is change the color to something else.

Gabe,

They are nearly identical in external appearance. Internally they are different.
Internally, I was told, the hardware is made by the same company that does a couple well known brand names. This is why I feel they are good motors, especially for the cost and I hope they come back online for sale soon.

BP motors do seem to be pretty good and the cost isn't outrageous.

I am planning to purchase one or two of the new hobbycity "Eflite clones" to give them a try.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:46 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
I like and use a few but of the three listed above, I prefer the Scorpion motors. They seem very sound and have a very good power/weight ratio. They acually do not sound very bad. I have ran a few HK motors and they seem to be pretty good other than the bearings which could definantly be better. If you are on a really tight budget, I think that they are an average motor. There anre like 10 diffrent kinds so I can not speek for all of them.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
FYI from Hitec

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=58842
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:19 PM
Build. Fly. Repeat.
Joined May 2010
41 Posts
Cry,
Thanks for the input. I just picked up an Phoenix Ice 75 last Sunday. I was glad to hear you recommend it. I'll do a little more research on on the size of the plane before settling on the motor. Is the idea to swing as big a prop as possible? The recommended prop range for this model goes from 12x6 to 15x6
joe
shoelessjoe is offline Find More Posts by shoelessjoe
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:34 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
Cry,
Thanks for the input. I just picked up an Phoenix Ice 75 last Sunday. I was glad to hear you recommend it. I'll do a little more research on on the size of the plane before settling on the motor. Is the idea to swing as big a prop as possible? The recommended prop range for this model goes from 12x6 to 15x6
joe
Keep the prop to 15x6 if thats recommended. With the 6 pitch, that will fly it along at a decent speed and the 15" diameter will give plenty of thrust.
Doesn't hurt to also have the 15x8 on hand to try out.

APC's will produce more watts than XOAR props, but the Xoar electric wood props will give better performance overall and won't deform under power.

You could go with a rimfire .55 as well. Specs on it are decent and I think it would be perfect for your airframe on 5s

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4715&search=Go

regarding your castle Ice. if you don't already have one, get the castle link usb programmer so you can immediately update the firmware and set the internal settings.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Nov 17, 2010 at 09:41 PM.