HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:00 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterone View Post
does anyone know of a reputable ebay supplier that has these #3 cameras? I ordered a couple from one ebay supplier and they have never shown up. I'll give him another couple of weeks and I'll name and shame.
Sometimes it takes longer than others. All the cameras come from China to my knowledge. Takes anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks for shipping. Ya just gotta be patient.

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:01 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_L View Post
I think the Chuck Lohr site provides clues on how to tell them apart.
The HK one is US$7.69 - doesn't seem like an over the top price to me. Shipping adds a bit.
Right you are Fred. I hope that anyone else here uses that link to Chuck's page. He adds to it constantly.

Russ
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:59 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2010
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterone View Post
does anyone know of a reputable ebay supplier that has these #3 cameras? I ordered a couple from one ebay supplier and they have never shown up. I'll give him another couple of weeks and I'll name and shame.
I bought mine here, with about 10 day delivery:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Chris
ChrisLevo is offline Find More Posts by ChrisLevo
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:36 AM
Esperance Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
68 Posts
Hi, not knowing anything about these cameras, is the higher definition of 1280x960, going to make the result clearer?
This is what I mean.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I'm struggling to sort out which one. Seems a fast card is needed too. So what do you guys recommend?
I checked out the impressive link back a few posts, but itís hard to find out specifics from the sellers.
Thanks for your time, Chook
Chook's is offline Find More Posts by Chook's
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
I highly recommend you contact the vendors on this issue. Watch their demos keeping in mind that they may have doctored them up a bit. The Gopro is probably, by far, the best flying camera out there. These little keychain fobs (808) are pretty good for the price when you compare what you pay for them versus a Gopro. So, again, get in touch with the vendors. Many of them have toll free numbers if you wish to speak to someone. All of them have email.

Russ
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:03 AM
Joined Dec 2005
68 Posts
Hey thanks for that.

Will contact them and see what I can sort out.

Chook
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:38 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chook's View Post
Hey thanks for that.

Will contact them and see what I can sort out.

Chook
No problem Mate. Keep in mind the Gopro costs upwards to $200 where the 808 costs 11.87 shipped from Ebay. Just be careful when you purchase a 808 as there are 7 varieties of them. Some with inferior audio. The best 808 I've found is the #3 camera. The 3 and 6 are almost identical in sound and video.

What I like best about the 808 is it's inexpensive and shoots very good pics.

What I like about the Gopro (I don't have one, BTW) is it takes very pristine pics. It's a bigger camera also so there is the weight factor.

If you're just wanting to get some airial shots then the 808 is the way to go. If you want to get into airial photography and sell your wares to someone then the Gopro would be the minimum I'd shoot for.

There are several cameras out there for RC photography so be patient and pick your camera well.

Russ
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
Joined Dec 2005
68 Posts
Cheers Russ.
Would love a Gopro but would be in trouble with my "minister of finance" wife.
The Gopro still has no zoom for helmet cam and slopies would get pretty small quickly. These little numbers for the price are good enough for me. Just didn't want to buy a dud and be disappointed
I'll take on board your advise and thanks for all your info.

Chook
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
165 Posts
I have jsut bought the camera from HK. where is the best place to find cheap micro SD cards? can't seem to find the Class 6 ones.
inferno6688 is offline Find More Posts by inferno6688
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
I didn't bother to specify a class for the micro SD I purchased, but see post #90. I got a 4G card for A$11. It works fine.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Last edited by Fred_L; Oct 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:57 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno6688 View Post
I have jsut bought the camera from HK. where is the best place to find cheap micro SD cards? can't seem to find the Class 6 ones.
Do you have Walmart in Australia? They usually go for around $10 U.S. but may cost more there, depending on the value of a dollar in your country. Good luck with it.

BTW you can buy SD cards on ebay.

Russ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:29 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,074 Posts
Better off staying away from cheap SD cards and the picture can be very steppy, well worth getting a known brand name
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:30 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
Do you have Walmart in Australia? They usually go for around $10 U.S. but may cost more there, depending on the value of a dollar in your country. Good luck with it.

BTW you can buy SD cards on ebay.

Russ
I wish we had Walmart!!!
inferno6688 is offline Find More Posts by inferno6688
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno6688 View Post
I wish we had Walmart!!!
You should have the equivalent of it there. Some kind of mart. If not then check on ebay.

Russ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:08 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
I bought my 808 key cam from HobbyKing.
Its a version #7 camera.
I updated the firmware to 2.04 and set it to remove the date/time stamp in the video and only record at 21fps. This can be done before you flash the camera.
I am also using a Patriot brand class-10 micro SD card.
I'm getting good video with this setup with virtually no dropped frames.
Given the price, you really can't go wrong. Can you imagine having a complete video recording system like this 10 years ago? Let alone 5 years ago?
Higher resolution units really serve no advantage. Recording in 1280x960 means you have 4x the video data which means 4x the storage requirements. And anyway, most of the hi-res units aren't really hires - it's using software to interpolate pixels (ie. derive pixels based on adjacent pixels).
One nice advantage of the version #7 unit is that it records in Xvid format which generally can be played on all computers.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh