HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:44 AM
Esperance Western Australia
Joined Dec 2005
68 Posts
Geez how long did it take to over heat like that????

I fitted a wide angle jelly lens to mine with silicon and it increased the viewing angle.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Jelly-Lens-Fi...item5643a8028b
It seemed to smooth out the picture with it attached to my helmet and dosen't fog up on the beach with the sea air now.
I made sure I didn't cover the mic hole.
Chook's is offline Find More Posts by Chook's
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
Thanks for the exploding camera warning. I charge all my lipo batteries in a fireproof bag you can buy anyplace that sells lipos. I will start using it to charge the camera as well.

Speaking of how long does everyone let their cameras charge for? I heard 3 hours. Does it have an automatic charge cutoff into the camera's circuit board? I think I am going to find which USB cable pins carry + and - to the camera, and see if my lipo charger can control charge/discharge and storage. will post up what I find.
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:43 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,472 Posts
the problem with the cameras battery is once its been used the battery doesnt hold a 100% charge so when charging the light will never turn off
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jul 04, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
Which 808 camera should i bought. I need camera which record less than 50 megabytes per minute.
anankin is offline Find More Posts by anankin
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:16 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
the problem with the cameras battery is once its been used the battery doesnt hold a 100% charge so when charging the light will never turn off
I read that it will never charge to 100% only 70% because it does not have a smart charge system.
Only leave on charge for 1 hr MAX..and do not leave it..
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
Curitiba, PR, Brasil
Joined Aug 2010
95 Posts
I have an issue with a 808 camera, my windows 7 can't read the sd card attached in the camera.
The card can be read with a micro sd adapter.
Everytime I plug the camera to usb windows try to reinstall some driver and fail.
Any ideas?
tolice is offline Find More Posts by tolice
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:55 PM
flyingbynumbers
UK, City of Bristol, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
I read that it will never charge to 100% only 70% because it does not have a smart charge system.
Only leave on charge for 1 hr MAX..and do not leave it..
Well since I started on this thread and the last time I was on here I have learnt quite a bit about these key cams. Firstly if the card is full the cam seen to not be working or if bat get too low it just fails to work as the manuel dose not say much, you have to find all this sort of thing out for yourself. Now as for charging ... Well both me and my brother leave our cameras on the pc all the time and they are only take off when we take them out. they do not seem over charge. they have cut out built in. if you have flattend the batery and you beleive it will charge in two hours as it says on some adds, then you are never going to have a full battery. As for the date we in the end found out how to do it and yes once it has had new date put into it will stays in as long as you keep the batery in power, what you do is
Open rout page.
right click and enter NEW tap textdocument.,, call it TAG in caps
then on this page [ ] in squar brackes only

[date] then tap one space, then new line.... Let make up a date..
2011/07/12 done exactly like that, then hit one more space then new line
let make up a time
20:50:00
When you take you cam off the pc and start it, it will read new info. Now take a picture, then turn cam off and put it back on pc; date time on the pictuers or pictures will still be the new time you set and will stay putting this new date on pictures as long as you keep the thing charged.
I wanted longer time with my cam, so i brought a new and biger one-cell lipo from Giant cod and glued it on the outside of cam it now last for ever, but note. it also takes a lot longer to charge.
Let me add that the one with the bat glued on the outside, I had gave up on ages ago, around about the time I started this post but knowing what i now know about these bats they seem to go on for ever I now have it working the prob had been not leaving it charging enough with the biger batery, nine times out of ten it is not the camara that is wrong, but you for not having enought info so play around with them till you have learnt, mine never let me down now.
Some time also they will be tempremental and not work from the cam straight to the pc, the only answer is to use the card reader, sorry i do not know why this happends, but then out of the blue it will work again ????? persyvear,
Cheers all Pete
flyingbynumbers is offline Find More Posts by flyingbynumbers
Last edited by flyingbynumbers; Dec 19, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
flyingbynumbers
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfixit View Post
Thanks for the exploding camera warning. I charge all my lipo batteries in a fireproof bag you can buy anyplace that sells lipos. I will start using it to charge the camera as well.

Speaking of how long does everyone let their cameras charge for? I heard 3 hours. Does it have an automatic charge cutoff into the camera's circuit board? I think I am going to find which USB cable pins carry + and - to the camera, and see if my lipo charger can control charge/discharge and storage. will post up what I find.
I have just posted, saying me and my brother leave our cams conected all the time when they are not in use But I will add after reading a few more post, i do leave mine in a tin after all it is a lipo and they SO SAY. do have a reputation, But has any one yet heard of any mobile phones blowing up? an our cam do have electronics in them that I believe cuts them out, and as for not chargeing back to full power; i think the reason is they take alot longer to charge than two or three hours, cheers Pete
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:19 PM
flyingbynumbers
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
be careful with these cameras ive had a fair few my latest one exploded apart while charging from the computer i was lucky i was sitting at the computer desk when this happen the best idea when charging these cameras is to use a lipo sack and a long enough extension lead from your house out into the yard and charge it there its easy to be distracted by someone at the door or your dogs barking and u wonder off leaving the camera charging from your computer
Must add another post after reading this one, When I first glued a bigger batery to the outside of my oldest cam to get longer time. I fixed it on with appoxy, after charging it a few time I found the batery cam free. thinking it was just the glue, I reglued it only to have it do it again, but this second time I realised what had happend;;; the battery had sweld up. NOTE sweld up not blown up. and from your picture I think this is what happend to yours.????? I have noted most of my bats from word go swell a little and I just accept it as the norm.
Cheers Pete
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:48 AM
Mark at MicronWings
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Attaching #11 808 camera to glasses

Just doing some experimenting with using the #11 808 camera as a ground based flight cam. Basically just strapping it to the side of a pair of sunglasses as in the picture. This offers some real advantages over getting someone to take the video of your plane while you fly it.

When someone takes a video of a plane they never know where it will be going so they spend much time chasing it around the sky. But the pilot does (or should) know the planes next turn and has his eyes focussed on the plane all the time. so it makes sense for the camera to be attached to the pilot's eyes (or as close as possible to it)

Just one IMPORTANT thing to remember. The camera must be angled up at about 5 degrees. When we look up in the sky our eyeballs angle up a bit - unlike looking sideways. This is why the camera needs to be angled up. Please see my diagram - sorry not to good at drawing.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YakyW...1&feature=plcp
mark1968 is offline Find More Posts by mark1968
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:54 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,317 Posts
Good tip Mark, esp the angled up bit.
It reminds me of this setup I did for my young bloke playing cricket one day, stuck upside down to his helmet so I could get to the buttons and simply flipped it when editing. 2GB card was big enough for this particular innings......clean bowled
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Hey Mates. I did something entirely different. I have a Cannon Rebel digital camera. I made a velcro cage for it and devised a strap around my head with the camera velcroed to it. I figured out the point of center during filming and I know how to put it on my head so the planes are always centered. The only thing is it's had to get the zoom to work while flying.

I use my 808 for on-board only. The quality isn't good enough for ground use but seems to work great on the plane. Go figger. The only downside to this camera is that it tends to darken and brighten during flight when the camera points toward any bright object, such as, the sky. If it points near the sun it almost blacks out. Wished there were some way to control that. But, to my knowledge, there isn't a way with the #3 version.

For any camera I've found that if you put a piece of foam (say from a filter) over the microphone it almost eliminates wind noise. I have a filter mounted on the Cannon as well and the wind noise is non-existant. Just thought I'd pass this piece of info onto y'all.

Hear's a couple if flights. One with filter and one without filter.

With:
Yak Flight-12-9-2011 (8 min 0 sec)

Without:
Slow-Stick and Flying Wing (7 min 16 sec)

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
I have a problem with my 808, its the #3 version. When I create the TAG.txt I turn on the camera, take a photo, but the date doesn´t change... and the TAG.txt have been deleted.
Can you help me?
euka_92 is offline Find More Posts by euka_92
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:16 AM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Good Day,I bought it spy cey chain and micro sd card 4 class, I do not understand! Some videos will not open says media player classic "cannot render the fire" help me!
kvud is offline Find More Posts by kvud
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,472 Posts
i got my #11 camera today from eletech086 took 7 days from the day i won the auction to the day it was delivered singapor to australia not bad even included a tracking number its the camera with the RED and ORANGE lights
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150750115...84.m1439.l2649
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au