HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mdine1us, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 02:47 PM
I want to believe
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2002
921 Posts
Discussion
Ummm...How did I get here?

Well, here it is: My first blog post. Just a short blurb about me.

I have been flying RC off and on (mostly off) since about 1987. I built a Gentle Lady with which I taught myself to fly (pretty incompetently for the most part). I still have her, but suffice it to say, she is probably more CA than balsa by now! It was fun, but I seemed to lose interest for many years after the initial "flush" had worn off. That is, until we had a new neighbor move in down the street a few years back. He had some gliders in his garage, and one day he noticed the dusty old Gentle Lady lofted in my garage rafters. Well, we got to talking, and decided that we should both get our relics airworthy, and chuck 'em off a hill. We had a great time, laughing at each other's antics and generally poor flying, so we started to go flying pretty regularly. That led to some new purchases, including electric-powered planes too, for days when the wind wasn't favorable. My friend and I joined the Silent Electric Silent Fliers San Diego (SEFSD) and I rejoined the Torrey Pines Gulls after several years of hiatus.

Flying the electrics is fun indeed, but I keep finding myself drawn to the sailplanes more. So much so, that lately I have been letting the electrics gather dust, and basically flying sailplanes exclusively. Although, I guess the powered Easy Glider Pro could count on either front.

The last few months I have been looking into and acquiring far more complex planes than I ever flew previously. I had had a couple of 60" mouldies but really hadn't flown big full-house mouldie sailplanes much.

I have been fortunate to meet some really experienced pilots (one in particular) who were willing to take me under wing and take the time to help me advance my skills enough to actually fly the beautiful machines I have been collecting! For that help, I am truly grateful.

I will probably always be a slope rat, but now I have equipment to try several of the disciplined types of competitive flying. It all seems pretty foreign to me, coming from the slope but I am going to try lots of it: F3F, TD, and F3K this year. I have acquired some really nice used planes (far better than my skills will ever be) and a couple of nice kits to build, to test the waters.

I can say, that in the past I have always been somewhat "put-off" by the more formal parts of the hobby and those who are the "know it all, rules-maker types" sometimes found at the club fields but, so far, I haven't seen that behaviour evident. Everybody has been really friendly and helpful.

Will I end up back at the secret slope spots I so enjoy? Or will I get into the more formal competitive flying? Who knows? But I have met some really great guys along the way, learning tons, and I'm having fun so far!

That's all for now.

Booooor-innnnnggggg right? Stream-of-conciousness drivel. Oh well, sosume!

Marty
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,857 Posts
I actually enjoyed reading this. Kinda makes me want to write my own. What I really wish is that, since a teenager and starting in this hobby, I had taken and kept a picture of all the planes that I made, or bought, new or used. Let me tell ya, it would be quite a collection of pictures! lol.

Bob
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:25 PM
Planecrazy
Bozeman Area
Joined Apr 2008
431 Posts
I'm there with you

Marty,
Been flying since '82. Never really took a hiatus, just cut back a lot because of raising kids. Unfortunately for me, living in Montana does not expose me to anyone in our area that is really very knowledgeable in the Higher end slope ships. I really do desire to move into the realm of carbon fiber and molded planes, I'm not an expert pilot but do consider myself proficient. As far as I know, my two brothers and I are the only 3 guys that fly sailplanes in the valley we live in. Pretty unbelievable considering the population here with all small towns and rural sprawl is close to 100,000+, I've asked the local hobby shop guys if there are any other guys coming in that ask about slope flying or anyone else that flies sailplanes and they say no. Another unfortunate factor is, there are some guys that live about 80 miles from us that fly slope and high end electric. One of those guys is very knowledgeable, but seems to be an elitist, I feel like I'm being talked down to when visiting with him the few times he's come to fly at our slope. As if he doesn't have the time to deal with someone that doesn't have the $$$ to buy the needed materials or components he would suggest. So for now I'll keep flying my balsa planes and
be checking into some used higher performance ships and move on. By the way, I still have my Gentle Lady I built back in '82, flies as well as the day I built it, I take it with me every time I go flying, for those light wind days. Even installed some LED lights for when the wind keeps up after sundown. Good luck with your venture, I hope your competition seeking goes well and you enjoy this new direction the hobby has taken you. my regards Tracy. FF
Freedom Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Freedom Flyer