HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:10 AM
Bradley
Chalmette,LA. Sometimes underwater. 9ft to be exact.
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
Lil bummed out.

Took the new lady out for a flight today (My T-28)and during flight the plane started to act up. I was just cruising and outta nowhere she just flipped over and was heading straight for the ground. I managed to pull it back up again but didn't know what had just happened. So I landed, checked everything out and everything looked good. So I took off again and this time the plane was glitching alot. The first time I flew the plane it did the same thing but I thought for sure it was the wind. But today it was dead calm. Is this a problem with the Rx/Tx? Its the ZX 10, 5 channel radio that comes with this plane RTF. I was going to replace the radio system with a spectrum anyway but didn't think I was gonna have to this soon. I'm sorta ticked off a little bit because I buy this plane NEW and I get a plane with the 25 amp ESC with a crappy Bec and now this glitching issue im having. I know the RTF version doesn't exactly come with top of the line equipment but come on. 3 flights. Ill be back on the phone with Park Zone Monday I guess. Any clue on what could be causing this. When its not acting up, its such a nice plane to fly and I really like it. Just want it to do what im asking it. Not anything else. Thanks again guys.
grem62483 is offline Find More Posts by grem62483
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Good possibility it's acting up for the same reason they replaced the ESC with a switching BEC version. The digital servos are drawing too much current for the linear regulator in the 25 amp version you have.

This has been a problem since day one with the T28 and ParkZone refused to acknowledge it, but mysteriiously replaced the ESC with the correct one about a year or so ago.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2010, 11:38 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagiflyer67 View Post
I bought the Air Force T-28D and have issues with the speed controller. It is very sensitive to the arming process. I took five people to try it and one person finalyy got it to work. Then when I got home to repaet excatly what was shown, it did not work. Everything beeped properly but no turn on the motor. It has never seen the sky. I am swamping out the factory speed controller for a Castle Thunderbird 35 amp ESC. I hope to have better luck.
Are you sure you are getting that last long beep? That tells you the motor is armed. I had trouble with that until I trimmed down my throttle on my corsair.
Without that last beep, control surfaces work but no throttle.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:51 PM
Bradley
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
Everything works fine until.....

I'm getting the beep and its allowing me to throttle up now. But this glitch is a new problem. I even walked away (with radio on) and left my dad standing by the plane and no glitches while its on the ground. I throttled up and he said that none of the ailerons, rudder or elevator moved at all. But as soon as I start flying and the plane gets a little altitude it starts acting up. This is so freaking aggravating. I'm gonna start with a new ESC\BEC and go from there. Thanks.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
How many digital servos are in the plane?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Put the plane on a shakedown cruise. Set it on the ground and start banging those sticks rapidly up and down and side to side. Stress the hell out of the servos as it's sitting on the ground. If after a full minute of stressing them they are still working fine, then look for the problem elsewhere. I'm guessing you will see the servos gradually start to slow down, though.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:05 PM
Bradley
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
It comes with 4 servos stock.

The plane comes stock with 4 servos and thats whats in it. NoFly, when im doing this stress test, are you saying that it might cause them to glitch like its doing when im flying? I just want to make sure that I'm understanding what you are saying. Thanks again for the help.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grem62483 View Post
The plane comes stock with 4 servos and thats whats in it. NoFly, when im doing this stress test, are you saying that it might cause them to glitch like its doing when im flying? I just want to make sure that I'm understanding what you are saying. Thanks again for the help.
Hi grem,

The plane originally came with 4 DIGITAL servos, which play hell with the average ESC. This was why the later Trojans came with the 30 amp switching ESC, which could handle digital servos.

And yep.... just set the plane on the ground....leave the throttle turned off...and stress those servos like there was no tomorrow. See if they start slowing down (or even stopping altogether) and see if the ESC starts heating up beyond a normal 'warm' temp. Get them all moving at once.

Chuck
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:31 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Might be a good idea maybe to remove the prop for this test too, just in case when you bang the rudder stick, if you hit some throttle the plane won't go anywhere. Also I'm thinking maybe its range, not just altitude per say. Stand 30ft+ away and bang the sticks around, maybe you can recreate the glitching while it's parked that way also.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Good call on the removing the prop first!
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:09 PM
Bradley
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
Thats what im gonna do.......

Thats what ill do. BTW if anyone has an Esc or knows anyone with one, please let me know. I am going to upgrade to the turnigy motor anyway so I might as well just go ahead and replace the esc now. One more question. What do they call the esc with the bec installed within it. Is it a esc/ bec combo or what? I dont wanna keep calling it somthing and its not the right term for it. Trying to learn the terminology so you veterans will understand what im trying to say and so I dont sound like an idiot. Anyway battery is charging and when its charged i am going out to put her to the test. Really,really appreciate all the replys.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:30 PM
Bradley
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
Put the esc to the test!

I took the prop off and I set the plane on the ground. I was slamming the sticks left,right ,up and down and did the same with the rudder. Oh and thank the lord that I took the prop off. If I wouldn't have I would have a T-28 stuck through the drywall. Anyway I rattled it for about 1 or 2 min. Didn't appear that the servos slowed down any. If they did, it wasn't noticeable. The Esc got pretty hot. Not to hot to touch but hot. So I then took it outside and walked about 150ft away without touching the sticks and my wife told me that the right aileron was moving up and down about a 1/8 of an inch. She said it did this 3 times. What yall think?

Test #2
Just did the same test and I stayed with the plane while my brother walked down the street with the radio and the plane didnt glitch one time.
It only happens when its off the ground. (My LUCK) But its not just a little glitch. The plane will Dive Hard,Climb, or Turn. Still have power to everything when this happens. The best way to explain whats happening is like the plane is getting hit by a 40mph gust of wind. Hope this gives you guys something to go by. Interference maybe? I'm sending the Esc back and gonna install the new one and go from there.
Last edited by grem62483; Mar 07, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grem62483 View Post
I took the prop off and I set the plane on the ground. I was slamming the sticks left,right ,up and down and did the same with the rudder. Oh and thank the lord that I took the prop off. If I wouldn't have I would have a T-28 stuck through the drywall. Anyway I rattled it for about 1 or 2 min. Didn't appear that the servos slowed down any. If they did, it wasn't noticeable. The Esc got pretty hot. Not to hot to touch but hot. So I then took it outside and walked about 150ft away without touching the sticks and my wife told me that the right aileron was moving up and down about a quarter of an inch. She said it did this 3 times. What yall think?
I think you have a functioning ESC capable of handling the servos. Looks to me at this point that it's a range and radio issue.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 02:09 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
What do the antennas off the Receiver look like? If it's 2.4G they need to be 90 degrees from each other, not perpendicular. If it's 72mhz tape the antenna down the tail, away from the electronics. It's possible the signal is seen differently from the air then the ground.

Also, unfortunately, without the prop you are not loading up the ESC in the same way. I suggest trying the test again carefully with someone holding the plane, with prop on. DO be careful.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Actually, the prop isn't needed, as the part of the ESC that we're really interested in is the BEC circuit.