to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2010, 03:37 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Seems to me its a 200 watt motor. Dr Kiwi ran some extensive tests on it and anything over about 200 watts started to cook the motor. I'll get that link to the test results for you. At any rate, it paled by comparison to the stock motor in the Corsair and Trojan.

Are you a vendor of the Tiger motor?
No, I'm not. Maybe he has some commercial interest against the motor. Simply put, his tests are false and/or doesn't know what he is doing. I ran the attached tests myself (easily duplicated by anyone).

The T-28 roars with this motor compared to stock, there is no comparison. It also maneuvers better and glides slower without the heavy stock motor out on the nose. No longer much need for flaps, I have since pulled out my extra servos and taped up my flaps. I'll post some airborne video when my keychain cam gets here, I ordered it from Hong Kong a few days ago.

Flaps.
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Last edited by Z-8; Mar 03, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 03:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8 View Post
No, I'm not. Maybe he has some commercial interest against the motor. Simply put, his tests are false and/or he has no idea what he is doing.
You're in luck..... head on over to this thread....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post14427646

Tell the good Dr Kiwi that you have the real facts on the Tigre .10

I'll meet ya over there... PS: the Tigre .10 is a disappointment...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Here's the actual test data for the Super Tigre .10

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=supertigre+10

Chuck
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:50 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
You're in luck..... head on over to this thread....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post14427646

Tell the good Dr Kiwi that you have the real facts on the Tigre .10

I'll meet ya over there... PS: the Tigre .10 is a disappointment...

Chuck
I have no interest in arguing about an electric motor, sorry dude.

Your loss of a fantastic $24 upgrade that provides a 1.1 T:W with the stock ESC, one that anyone can measure for themselves. But I will post an airborne video in a week or so.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Well, speaking of data..... I have some observations on your posted data.

Could you explain why, with the second battery, the more amps you are pulling from the battery, the less voltage sag you're getting?

If you divide your watts used by the current draw, you'll notice that the voltage under load is actually going up as you pull more current, rather than down.

Is it possible your test results are therefore skewed?
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:33 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Well, speaking of data..... I have some observations on your posted data.

Could you explain why, with the second battery, the more amps you are pulling from the battery, the less voltage sag you're getting?

If you divide your watts used by the current draw, you'll notice that the voltage under load is actually going up as you pull more current, rather than down.

Is it possible your test results are therefore skewed?
Sure, read the notes on the chart itself.

Voltage is measured under no load, before each test. I was just trying to show the battery's starting state, since I didn't feel like recharging it between each trial.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:35 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
No, I'm not. Maybe he has some commercial interest against the motor. Simply put, his tests are false and/or doesn't know what he is doing. I ran the attached tests myself (easily duplicated by anyone).

The T-28 roars with this motor compared to stock, there is no comparison. It also maneuvers better and glides slower without the heavy stock motor out on the nose. No longer much need for flaps, I have since pulled out my extra servos and taped up my flaps. I'll post some airborne video when my keychain cam gets here, I ordered it from Hong Kong a few days ago.

Parkzone T-28 Flap Mod (0 min 8 sec).
Holy right thrust batman!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Sure, read the notes on the chart itself.

Voltage is measured under no load, before each test. I was just trying to show the battery's starting state, since I didn't feel like recharging it between each trial.
Actually, your voltage UNDER load is shown in that graph. And your data shows the under load voltage going up as the amp load increases. And that is exactly opposite the way batteries work.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:02 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Actually, your voltage UNDER load is shown in that graph. And your data shows the under load voltage going up as the amp load increases. And that is exactly opposite the way batteries work.
I did the tests and wrote the notes, I know how the voltage was measured. If you read the thread, Mr. Kiwi admits that no one actually using the motor agrees with him, like this guy:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9099196

"I just put a supertigre st .10 in mine and like it a lot as well. For under 30 bucks it works great. Kv is 1250 with 320 watts constant and 370w surge. Using the stock prop I have unlimited vertical now, and when I tried an apc 9x9 the speed was quite nice, but lost some thrust, so I'm gonna stick to stock prop for now. It feels lighter than the stock 480, not sure though. But it is a lot more compact than stock motor with a bit better performance."

As you can see from my chart, he is way over-propping it with the square prop and probably flying well into ESC cutoff land. But even so, that doesn't sound at all like his corsair flies poorly with the ST .10 motor. I'm certain that "unlimited vertical" with a low static thrust prop choice, is not flying poorly.

But the weight savings, way out on the moment arm, is really where the ST .10 shines. It is a GREAT motor for those looking to turn their T-28 into an A6M, not into an F-104. No matter what people who've never flown the motor say.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
I did the tests and wrote the notes, I know how the voltage was measured.
You might have wrote the tests, but are you aware that by posting the current draw and watts consumed you are also giving the actual under load voltage? And the under load voltage (watts/current) is what is skewed in the tests.

It's rising as the current is rising.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:32 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
You might have wrote the tests, but are you aware that by posting the current draw and watts consumed you are also giving the actual under load voltage? And the under load voltage (watts/current) is what is skewed in the tests.

Here is a chart with the implied voltage. In no case does the voltage go up from no load. Any nitpick is most certainly due to one or many of these:

- Recording the thrust scale, W meter, and/or Amps in various orders on various runs
- Different numbers of blades pushing the engine WAAAY into no-no land
- The W and Ammeter meters jumping around 5% or so percent during real life sampling
- My lack of utter perfection

Bottom line: These tests are empirical, not perfect, and they are fundamentally correct and easily verified by anyone who's actually flown the motor.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:48 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:

I didn't see you address this part of my post:

You said: "At any rate, it paled by comparison to the stock motor in the Corsair and Trojan."

A Corsair flyer said: "I just put a supertigre st .10 in mine and like it a lot as well. For under 30 bucks it works great. Kv is 1250 with 320 watts constant and 370w surge. Using the stock prop I have unlimited vertical now"

I'm not sure why you are predisposed to dislike a motor.

Are you a vendor of another type of motor?
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
I didn't see you address this part of my post:

You said: "At any rate, it paled by comparison to the stock motor in the Corsair and Trojan."

A Corsair flyer said: "I just put a supertigre st .10 in mine and like it a lot as well. For under 30 bucks it works great. Kv is 1250 with 320 watts constant and 370w surge. Using the stock prop I have unlimited vertical now"

I'm not sure why you are predisposed to dislike a motor.

Are you a vendor of another type of motor?
You want thrust on your plane? Howd ya like a 1:1.7 weight to thrust ratio? Howd ya like to do it with less amps than it's taking you to get the 1:1.1 with that Super Tiger?

Stick a GWS 11x7 HD prop on that plane and with a 3s Li-Po on the stock motor, you'll get 50 ounces of thrust. Now THAT is some serious vertical for about 24 amps of current from the stock motor.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:37 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
Going back to the original Op question.....
I still fly my old trojan (the one with a 25 amp esc stock)....i just added a dimension enginering external park bec....works like a charm...and i also changed the stock pro to a bit larger apc...(cant remember the exact size, and its after midnight, so i dont have any intention to go down to my garage...), using 3s 2200 25 and 30 c lipos flies beautifully....
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita