HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2010, 11:57 PM
Bradley
Chalmette,LA. Sometimes underwater. 9ft to be exact.
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
Discussion
Esc/Bec for parkzone T-28 Trojan?

I recently purchased a Park Zone T-28 Trojan and I've been doing some research and discovered that this particular plane has an issue with the stock Esc/Bec combo. I want to buy a better one but dont know what to go with. I eventually want to upgrade from the stock 480 brushless to the Turnigy 35-36 without having to do this same thing again. So is there any suggestions on what to go with? Using stock Lipo 1800 mah 3s 15C. I've only flown this plane twice and both times I had to unplug the battery and plug it in again because it wasnt letting me do anything from the Tx. I plugged the battery in and it plays the tune but thats it. When I unplug it and plug it back in she works just fine. I test the rudders and ailerons, it gives me that beep letting me know everything is cool and no problems after that. Could this be my Esc/Bec? P.S I tried to find an Official T-28 thread but couldnt so I asked my question here. I hope this is ok to post it here.
grem62483 is offline Find More Posts by grem62483
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 06:44 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
If you are planning on swapping the motor later on then just get an esc with rated specs for that motor.

As for the stock setup, PKZ now equipe some of their planes with E-flite Pro series esc and on my Corsair the stock E-flite 30A Pro is plenty for the stock motor and servo setup.

The new or recent T-28 come with E-flite Pro 30A brushless ESC installed as well. So if your new motor draws 30A and under at peak levels then your good otherwise get higher rated ESC.

As for your battery if should be considered minimal, most will use in the 2000mah range and atleast 20C. I personnaly use 2200mah 25C packs that fit perfectly in the battery compartment of my Corsair, so it mite be something to look into with your setup.

The stock Corsair pulls about 22-23amps and the T-28 should be very close to these numbers in stock form.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:20 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
The massive T-28 thread is in the Park Flyer area...

The only ESC issue was on the early versions of the plane that came with a 25 amp model. The problem was that the plane was supposed to have only 1 digital servo installed, but 2 were installed during manufacture, which increased the amp draw to the point where the old linear BEC couldn't cope.

The new version (and by new I mean several years) all have 30 amp ESC's with switchmode BECs. If you bought this new, you should have the 30 amp version.

If you are running the stock motor and stock servos, you will not have any problems. If you add additional servos for flaps you should install a UBEC.

It sounds like you may be having an rx/tx problem - perhaps your throttle isn't fully down when plugging in? It doesn't sound like the ESC, and certainly not the historical problems that were had. We would need more info as to your radio to provide any better answers.

BTW, the 30 amp ESC is the same one installed in the Corsair.

The 30 amp ESC will not support the Turnigy 35-36 motor - you will need a 40 amp ESC. AND...your battery will not even come close to working. You'll puff it very quickly.

I run the 35-36 in my P-51, and I had to go to a 2200 mah, 30C battery to keep from overheating it. And with that, I only fly 5 minutes at WOT about 75% of the time.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Ugly John nailed it. In fact, quite a few of the T28's came with FOUR digital servos instead of the one or two that the earlier versions were shipped with. This made flying the T28 a disaster waiting to happen. Then one day, without ever admitting they screwed things up, the T28's started being shipped with the 30 amp switching ESC.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:24 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Get the Turnigy Plush 40 AMP ESC. We have been using them for a couple of years and it is rock solid. Hobby City is out of them now, but get one when you can.

I started installing a UBEC on everything, I use the $7 Hextronic ones from Hobby City. I just bought a new PnP Trojan, and put one in before I flew it.
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:32 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
No problems on the new stock 30 amp ESC's- even with me on the sticks
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:53 PM
Racine, WI
Joined Feb 2010
91 Posts
I have the Trojan that came with the 25amp ESC and gave me issues. Running a Castle Thunderbird 36amp now and its running beautifly with a common sense E10-12 motor.

The 30amp ESC on my F4U (as others have stated) works really well with these planes so if that is the one you have I would agree that your issue is likely not the ESC/BEC.
griffn1 is offline Find More Posts by griffn1
Old Mar 02, 2010, 08:28 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grem62483 View Post
I recently purchased a Park Zone T-28 Trojan and I've been doing some research and discovered that this particular plane has an issue with the stock Esc/Bec combo. I want to buy a better one but dont know what to go with. I eventually want to upgrade from the stock 480 brushless to the Turnigy 35-36 without having to do this same thing again. So is there any suggestions on what to go with? Using stock Lipo 1800 mah 3s 15C. I've only flown this plane twice and both times I had to unplug the battery and plug it in again because it wasnt letting me do anything from the Tx. I plugged the battery in and it plays the tune but thats it. When I unplug it and plug it back in she works just fine. I test the rudders and ailerons, it gives me that beep letting me know everything is cool and no problems after that. Could this be my Esc/Bec? P.S I tried to find an Official T-28 thread but couldnt so I asked my question here. I hope this is ok to post it here.
Another option: I posted ST .10 engine upgrade step-by-step here.

It's a $25 upgrade including hardware that works with the stock ESC and gives better than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. The ST .10 is about 35% lighter than the stock motor, so the plane flys better balanced. Highly recommended.
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:03 AM
Bradley
Chalmette,LA. Sometimes underwater. 9ft to be exact.
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
Brand new plane but has the old ESC.

I just bought this plane brand new from my LHS but I looked at the esc and read the box and it is the 25 amp E-flite! Probably had it in his shop for a while. But it is the old esc. O'well I'm just going to get a new esc and im back in business. Ive heard nothing but good things about the "Plush" but I will take a look at the others y'all recommended since the Plush is on back order. Never even heard of the .10 motor but I just checked it out on your thread. Gonna go read up on it. Thanks for the info.
grem62483 is offline Find More Posts by grem62483
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:52 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
Quote:
I just bought this plane brand new from my LHS but I looked at the esc and read the box and it is the 25 amp E-flite! Probably had it in his shop for a while. But it is the old esc. O'well I'm just going to get a new esc and im back in business. Ive heard nothing but good things about the "Plush" but I will take a look at the others y'all recommended since the Plush is on back order. Never even heard of the .10 motor but I just checked it out on your thread. Gonna go read up on it. Thanks for the info.
I believe they all say that (except the new grey and blue one). The original color scheme one should have a little paper inside mentioning the 30 amp ESC.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 03, 2010, 07:06 AM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
I hadn't heard of of the Super Tigre either until I read about it in a non-T-28 thread and it sounded just right. Here are my first impressions with the right prop and a fast battery. I bought mine from Tower. It's only a $25 upgrade, but not considering cost, I think it is probably the best engine so far for the 28.

The Turnigy specs out with more power, but is heavy. The PZ 480 is already too heavy upfront, which makes the plane less agile and fast in the glide so the elevator can create enough down-force to raise the nose end of the seesaw.

After the ST .10, I taped up my flaps and pulled out the extra servos. It glides and lands nice and slow. Another 2-3 oz of weight gone.

With the 1800 battery, a 10x6 and 60% throttle, you have the same power plus longer flying time than stock. That's another 2 oz saved by hauling around less gas.

Like any airplane, any weight savings leads to more weight savings; the rich get richer. So even before applying full throttle, you've decreased thrust required by about 6 oz, or 20%.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:12 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
If that plane was manufactured recently it will have the 30amp ESC which is more than adequate. There are some dated threads in the group. Check the ESC.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Mar 03, 2010, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8 View Post
I hadn't heard of of the Super Tigre either until I read about it in a non-T-28 thread and it sounded just right. Here are my first impressions with the right prop and a fast battery. I bought mine from Tower. It's only a $25 upgrade, but not considering cost, I think it is probably the best engine so far for the 28.

The Turnigy specs out with more power, but is heavy. The PZ 480 is already too heavy upfront, which makes the plane less agile and fast in the glide so the elevator can create enough down-force to raise the nose end of the seesaw.

After the ST .10, I taped up my flaps and pulled out the extra servos. It glides and lands nice and slow. Another 2-3 oz of weight gone.

With the 1800 battery, a 10x6 and 60% throttle, you have the same power plus longer flying time than stock. That's another 2 oz saved by hauling around less gas.

Like any airplane, any weight savings leads to more weight savings; the rich get richer. So even before applying full throttle, you've decreased thrust required by about 6 oz, or 20%.
Seems to me that Super Tiger motor is getting really bad reviews from one of the motor testers here on RC Groups. I'll have to find it and post back the results. From what I understand, it's way over rated.

Chuck
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:02 PM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Seems to me that Super Tiger motor is getting really bad reviews from one of the motor testers here on RC Groups. I'll have to find it and post back the results. From what I understand, it's way over rated.

Chuck
It's only rated at 320W steady, 370W max. It pulled way more with no complaints. I measured it at a 16:1 motor thrust to weight (way overpropped pulling 475W @ 38 ounces of thrust).

Underpropped, with a 10x6 and a 2200 mAh 35C, you can use the stock ESC @ 28.5A and 290W max and still put 36 oz of thrust in front of a lighter, better balanced T-28. Static T:W is around 1.2 to 1. Flight time is 10-11 mins doing half full up aerobatics and half T&Gs.

Speedwise, that little .10 tore my T-28's left elevator off in level flight. You need to tape all the hinges and beef up the elevator where it passes through the rudder.

So I wouldn't says its overated, not at $24 total upgrade cost.
Last edited by Z-8; Mar 03, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8 View Post
It's only rated at 320W steady, 370W max. It pulled way more with no complaints. I measured it at a 16:1 motor thrust to weight (way overpropped pulling 475W @ 38 ounces of thrust).

Underpropped, with a 10x6 and a 2200 mAh 35C, you can use the stock ESC @ 28.5A and 290W max and still put 36 oz of thrust in front of a lighter, better balanced T-28. Static T:W is around 1.2 to 1. Flight time is 10-11 mins doing half full up aerobatics and half T&Gs.

Speedwise, that little .10 tore my T-28's left elevator off in level flight. You need to tape all the hinges and beef up the elevator where it passes through the rudder.

So I wouldn't says its overated, not at $24 total upgrade cost.
Seems to me its a 200 watt motor. Dr Kiwi ran some extensive tests on it and anything over about 200 watts started to cook the motor. I'll get that link to the test results for you. At any rate, it paled by comparison to the stock motor in the Corsair and Trojan.

Are you a vendor of the Tiger motor?