SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2003, 11:21 AM
Joined Oct 2002
23 Posts
Landing Gear or not GWS A-10 newbe piolt

Ok need help. Just got an A-10 first foamy. I have flown helos before and have real flight time but it didnt matter today. Built my A-10 set it up and then tried to hand launch it. After two attempts that eneded in big loss. 2nd hand throw full throttle went up she pulled hard straight up on her own, more so then the first toss, then it dove head first into the ground breaking its back. I ve read about the weight issues. For a first timer like me is gear better to start off or hand launching due to weight savings. What the best way to hand launch, such as throttle setting and such. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!! I realy like this modle but would like longer flight time lol.

Stock motor

7.2 8000 battery have 1020 2 cell on order

gws micro radio and speed control.
5150helo is offline Find More Posts by 5150helo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2003, 01:07 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
Sounds like your c of g was off. What is your ready to fly weight? I assume that your running an 800 mah pack and not 8000. Also are they nicad or nimh and was the pack new? If the pack was new it will take a few complete cycles to get the power out of it. When my nimh was new the thing would barely fly but it was balanced out because I had flown it with a nicad (which was a fluke)
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old May 25, 2003, 01:27 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
It sounds like your center of gravity was too far back, causing a major stall and then fall......try shifting the cg forward some (make sure you're around the manufacturer's reccomendation) and the next time you decide to test it out, throw it from your knees just to see if it will glide.....it should glide, power off, with a light to moderate throw.....if it keeps nosing up, move the battery farther forward. And welcome to the wonderful world of planes ;o) Don't let this discourage you
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian